+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi mom2one - my "very low" AMH means under 5 - mine was 2.2- so very low indeed and DHEA definately helped

Hey mummy hopes - wow - your DHEA was cheap!!! Mine was $80 for same quantity and dose. I've also heard of some of the Sydney firls (I'm in Sydney but out it the suburbs) get their DHEA from Macquarie st pharmacy who accept prescriptions faxed through and then have their DHEA mailed out - which is an excellent process as compound pharmacies are like hens teeth these days

My tip is not to buy the pre-made bulk made DHEA - with the compound DHEA the pharmacist makes a batch - but not in bulk (most chemists these days are all made in bulk hence why they are getting cheaper each day and have generic brands) which is great for things like antibiotics but when you play with
    Fertility - Mmm I just don't know :?
    As for DHEA at the compound pharmacy, it is $68 for 100x25mg caps and I am on x3 per day...they produce it there themselves. Although it is quite expensive, if it work after a few months, it sure beats extra rounds of IVF costs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, very helpful!

I actually saw that US websites sell DHEA and i am quite sure they are good cos bodybuilders forums recommended the site and BTs showed their body do absorb it so the product must be genuine. Bodybuilders use DHEA a lot. DHEA makes testosterone after all. However I am not sure if DHEA are allowed to be sent to
    Australia from USA, if not, I would have to get FS to write the script for me if I want to try it..

I have been reading up a lot. One question on side effects.

Do you ladies who take it see any changes to your AF? Does it become shorter and lighter?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mom2OneDS, it is up to you as to where you purchase the DHEA from but I would be going with a Compound Pharmacy if I were you. I am pretty sure you can buy DHEA in Health Food stores here but if FS thought that product was good enough I am sure they wouldn't write s script for Compound...apparently some are better than others too. Your call though and perhaps use the cheap stuff until you can get a script for the other...better than nothing.
    I did not have any side effects at all and didn't notice any change with AF either. I actually think it made me feel better than usual...happier!
    Hi Crofty, I am in Melbourne and get my DHEA from a Compound Pharmacy at Docklands. I did get one batch from another pharmacy (I know, they are like diamonds these shops-rare!) and that did cost me $80 for 100x25mg but my FS said all his "miracles" happend with woman who purchased at Docklands. So, off I went to get my stuff there! I have no doubt this stuff helped me with the amount of eggs retrieved and also the number of good embryos, compared to the past crappy results. My AMH is only 3.4 so definated improvement with DHEA...love it!
    At the end of the day we do what we have to make our dreams come true...X

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummyhopes For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (16-11-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mummyhopes, those sold in health shops are extremely mild to placebo effects I just found out by googling. I didnt know that months back so I bought them. So it is pretty useless to take them.

Those from US websites are really cheap (and I believe one or two companies selling are genuine) BUT they have just replied me that they cannot ship DHEA to Australia (as I was guessing, now it is confirmed!) so it goes back to getting a script from FS and if I have to get it here, I definitely will do so at the compounding pharmacy. I am in Melbourne too and I can try Docklands too.

I am worried that it may shorten my AF further as it is only 1.5 days right now. If my AF is 4 or 5 days I dont mind it getting shorter. I read on a few US forums that taking DHEA made their AF shorter and lighter.

I think DHEA definitely worked for some women but there are other women whom it didnt work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mummyhopes, i googed about the compounding pharmacy in Docklands and a few came up near there. Do you mind letting me know the name of that pharmacy? Ta!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mom2OneDS...Compoundia Pharmacy at Docklands. Don't think there are any others close to Docklands, there are only 4 or 5 in Melbourne. Your FS will give you all the address details of these when you get the script but the details are:
    16 Saint Mangos La Docklands VIC 3008
    (03) 9670 2882
    Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyhopes For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (01-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mom2OneDS - bet you can't wait until 3 Jan to see your FS, are you on their cancellation list for a chance to get in sooner? In regards to your question about how many eggs at EPU, it started out promising with my first cycle (which was this time last year) I had 7 eggs collected (4 eggs fertilised, 1 implanted, 0 frosties). Cycle 2 I had 4 eggs collected (only 1 fertilised and implanted, 0 frosties) and Cycle 3 (the antagonist one) was very antagonising , it was my worst one yet, only 2 eggs collected and they were both so bad quality they couldn't even be fertilised.

My FS was concerned about my poor egg quality and said there was nothing that can be done and I should look into getting an egg donor. She never even told me about DHEA . Thank goodness I came across Bubhub, it's been the best thing so far in my TTC journey (which has just ticked over 4 years since last week), this is where I've learned about DHEA. So when I went back to see her and I mentioned it, she knew all about it but because she said nothing was proven she didn't even bother telling me about it. At least she didn't refuse to give me a prescription.

Also, I've never been on Gonal F, I've only been on Puregon and the dosage started at 200 for cycle 1, then 300 for cycle 2 then 450 for cycle 3 (the highest dose and still only 2 crap eggs).

Yes, let's hope that DHEA improves our egg quality. I wouldn't mind if I only had 2 eggs if they were good quality enough to get fertilised. I agree, taking the homeopathic DHEA can't hurt until you get your script in Jan, I did the exact same thing, definitely no harm.

Mummyhopes - I'm glad you are a believer of DHEA, I hope I feel the same when I do my next cycle. Your latest cycle sounds so promising, I wish you all the best, hope your 2 embies stay stuck for 9 months . Thanks for sharing your story because I am one who is wondering if DHEA can help me, I'm so happy that it's helped you.

What is luveris? Do I need a prescription to get it? I see that it helped you mummyhopes but not you Mom2OneDS. What does it do (or supposed to do)?

Mom2OneDS - I don't know anything about the US website for DHEA but I think you are better off getting it from a compounding chemist as they make it there fresh, you don't know how long the one from US was made up before it gets posted out to you. I'd stick to a local compounding chemist if you can.

Mummyhopes - sounds like you made a good decision in changing FS. I agree with you, how can the previous FS say you are not good candidates for IVF if both cycles resulted in a BFP and she wasn't even interested in trying anything else to help you out.

Crofty - how come you're getting a discount on your DHEA, I thought you go to Fresh Therapeutics in Westpoint? I go there and I spend $85 dollars per bottle, but yes, at least it's cheaper than more IVF cycles.

Mom2OneDS
    - in regards to your side effects question and AF, my very first AF since taking DHEA was late and I thought I was going through menopause. It was just late, but I panicked because I am never ever late. Other than that, AF has been pretty normal.

OK, I think I'm caught up now.
    Last edited by AceOfBase; 01-12-2011 at 21:26.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AceOfBase For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, one more thing, forgot to ask you Mummyhopes about the Colorado protocol. I've spoken to another BH member who swears by it as she got her BFP from doing this. what was your experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mumtochris...Colorado protocol did zero for me, in fact Clinic wanted to cancel that EPU as I only had one good follicle. I insisted on EPU as I figured I had nothing to lose and what if there was an egg and it was good! It was good and it was transferred 2 days later but although HPT was positive, by the time I had BT, it was going away as HCG was only 17. Went back 2 days later and it was 0. Waste of time is my opinion but I thing our bodies each respond differently to meds...it may work for you.
    I am not sure of all the things Luveris does but FS said it is to increase the quality of my eggs/follicles. Perhaps Google it to find out more...and yes, I agree these forums are fantastic for information and ideas.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay I am trying to cut and paste using quote...i hope it works...here goes :

Quote Originally Posted by mumtochris View Post
    Mom2OneDS - bet you can't wait until 3 Jan to see your FS, are you on their cancellation list for a chance to get in sooner?
    Yes mumtochris, the waiting is torturous when I have been waiting since May for our private health ins to kick in, did a cycle in OCt, failed, wanted to do a back to back but decided to do a lap, then after lap needs another month of rest before i can start IVF again in Jan/Feb. So much waiting, how much time flies past and my clock is obviously ticking. And we have been ttc#2 since end 2008.

[/QUOTE]My FS was concerned about my poor egg quality and said there was nothing that can be done and I should look into getting an egg donor. She never even told me about DHEA . Thank goodness I came across Bubhub, it's been the best thing so far in my TTC journey (which has just ticked over 4 years since last week), this is where I've learned about DHEA. So when I went back to see her and I mentioned it, she knew all about it but because she said nothing was proven she didn't even bother telling me about it. At least she didn't refuse to give me a prescription.[/QUOTE]

You know I have exactly the same sentiments. Doing IVF is bit like luck, if you get a good dedicated and aggressive FS, it certainly helps. But if yours is just here to collect $, then that's it. We end up having to be proactive and research a lot ourselves and the forums teach us more things than ever! My FS never suggests DHEA too. He doesnt even give me any suggestions on Protocol. I am the one who suggests this and that and he goes ok. Well I like him for his flexibility but he is supposed to be the one who knows. Shocker, he doesnt even know HA binding is different from SCSA until I explained to him! We as patients really need to ask the right questions so we have to be informed. My 2nd FS even suggested me not to spend so much time on the internet.

[/QUOTE]Also, I've never been on Gonal F, I've only been on Puregon and the dosage started at 200 for cycle 1, then 300 for cycle 2 then 450 for cycle 3 (the highest dose and still only 2 crap eggs).[/QUOTE]

I think putting some of us up to 450IU hurts our egg quality? Last two cycles I was up on 450IU, always got 11 eggs be it down reg or antag cycles but fert rate was 50% than 40%...really crappy...

[/QUOTE]Yes, let's hope that DHEA improves our egg quality. I wouldn't mind if I only had 2 eggs if they were good quality enough to get fertilised. I agree, taking the homeopathic DHEA can't hurt until you get your script in Jan, I did the exact same thing, definitely no harm.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! Last night I woke up and thought about this DHEA thing. I think I should be thick-skinned and ask my FS' secretary this morning, so I did. I emailed her about getting a script. Hope he is flexy enough to give me. Either that he would say he needed to see me before issuing (consult fee $ $90!).

[/QUOTE]What is luveris? Do I need a prescription to get it? I see that it helped you mummyhopes but not you Mom2OneDS. What does it do (or supposed to do)? [/QUOTE]

Luveris is pure DNA-recombinant LH (luteinising hormone). I am not sure about improving anything. It just puts back LH into the body at the end of my stim cycle.

[/QUOTE]Mom2OneDS - I don't know anything about the US website for DHEA but I think you are better off getting it from a compounding chemist as they make it there fresh, you don't know how long the one from US was made up before it gets posted out to you. I'd stick to a local compounding chemist if you can.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you are right. Anyway no chance to order from US cos they cannot send DHEA here since we need script to buy it locally.

[/QUOTE]Mom2OneDS
    - in regards to your side effects question and AF, my very first AF since taking DHEA was late and I thought I was going through menopause. It was just late, but I panicked because I am never ever late. Other than that, AF has been pretty normal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks mumtochris, I was thinking perhaps I should start with a lower dose say 25mg to see how things go. I think the homeopathic prep is really useless. It is 3mg diluted 1000 to the power of 6. I dont even know what it means but I think it is basically nothing. Haha...
    Last edited by Mom2TwoDSs; 02-12-2011 at 08:19.