+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DHEA - Did it work for you?

Hi Ladies. After having 3 failed IVF cycles with the last one ending with a missed miscarriage in March, I went to see another FS on the advice of my accupunturist. DH & I are waiting on our karotype results. In the meantime, she had prescribed me with DHEA. Been on it now since the end of May.

I brought DHEA up with my previous FS at the end of last year & he is highly againsts it.

My accupunturist said she has a number of patients on it but she has not seen anything amazing as yet. Any personal experience out there? Any spontaneous pregnancy? If so, how long were you on DHEA before it happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stared DHEA after my 2nd failed cycle (with no transfers). After 2 months of DHEA I did a 3rd cycle and got more eggs and finally got 1 to BLAST and a transfer, but got a BFN. I am not sure if it was the DHEA or not as we also upped drugs and I had accupuncture as well but egg quantity & quality appeared to be better. After that failed cycle I continued with DHEA as I was going to do another cycle this month whilst looking for a donor.

We are in the early stages of the donor process and are very excited.

I did have some side effects from the DHEA though - spots, more hairs on my body than before and gained weight.

Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Annie,

My experience has been good, although no BFP yet.

My first IVF (flare cycle on 300u puregon) gave only 2 eggs/embryos & BFN (after 2m DHEA) -this was expected from my low AMH.

My second IVF (antag cycle on 300u puregon) gave 8 eggs, 3 made blast, 2 frozen and 1 tf - BFN (chem pg). (after 4m DHEA)

Although the protocol was changed, I dont think that explains the dramatic increase in the number of antral (baseline) follies - 5-7 before IVF and on first cycle compared to 19 after 4m IVF.

For a poor responder to get any frozen embies is a minor miracle by itself...I am sure that both quality and quantity have increased as a result of DHEA. But it does seem to take at least 4 m to work.

Ive had minimal side effects - just oily skin/hair and a few breakouts.

Hope it works for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi

i took DHEA for 3.5 months (2 months at 75mg, 1 month at 50mg) and i believe it helped me get a sticky BFP...i had a m/c a few months earlier and i do believe that DHEA contributed in giving me a good egg finally on my fifth xfer (8th stim attempt)....if we decide to have another bub i will only start ivf after being on dhea again for 3 months...i have found FS differ widely in thier opinion of it. good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there,

We did 10 or 11 (??) full stim cycles and would struggle to get anything to transfer. We started DHEA, my FS wasnt convinced but didnt think it could hurt. After being on it for about 5 months we had a great cycle ending in 6 good embryos. We transferred 2 and now have a beautiful 7 week old girl. I am 40 this September and truly believe that the DHEA helped us get our little miracle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am reading this with such interest as I am seriously thinking of giving it a go myself( my FS is against it to so will have to deal with that). Other than side effrects I don't feel like I have got anything to lose by trying.

Huge congratulations to Jfblady and Blondekelli on your precious little ones! Very inspiring!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annie!
    We did 4 cycles before going on DHEA & only ever ended up with 1 or 2 embryos at transfer time, never did we have a frozen embryo.
    After 4 months on DHEA we had 6 embies, 2 transferred & 4 frozen
    I now have a 12 week old son from the 2 transferred.
    GOODLUCK!

Pinkbutterfly the onlt side effect I had was thinning hair(slightly) my skin was great & I felt amazing!
    Last edited by lochnessie; 26-06-2010 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow Lochnessie, what a huge difference in your cycles after DHEA! Congratulations on your beautiful son

As to your side effects Lochnessie thinning of the hair sounds good to me - I always have to get mine thinned out at the hair dressers as its super thick! Great skin and feeling amazing sounds fantastic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such great positive feedback on DHEA. Karotype results are back. I rang my old clinic yesterday morning to see if both DH & mine results are back in as I wanted to get a copy to my new FS. Got a call some 2 hrs later asking if we could come that afternoon to see FS. Unfortunately DH results came back as a translocation on 17 & 19 chromosome. This is what caused the miscarriage in March. I had a test done on the fetal material & it was identified as a translocation on chromosome 19.....

We have been booked in to see a geneticist who will tell us what our chances of having a healthy baby will be (if at all) &/or other options.

At this stage the only solution I can think of is donor sperm. We are both still trying to be positive tho I know DH is blaming himself for all the heartache over the last few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Annie,
    Really sorry to hear that. Lots of .