View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand why drinking alcohol is SO important to people

honestly

and forget the dangers of drinking with bubs in the oven

why is it so difficult for the average Aussie woman to not drink for a few months?

Alcohol is an extremelly dangerous drug
    withdrawal for an alcoholic is worse than heroin
    just withdrawal can actually kill you if not medically managed.

I just don't see why it's so important to you guys

and I'm not being rude

But it's just alcohol...... You don't need to have it.

And on the caffiene thing there are actually studies on safe levels of caffine for a feotus
    it's so widely used they have been able to develop a safe guideline I think it's like 300mg per day or something, I can't remember

and unfortunately caffine over that limit is extremely dangerous
    there was a lady who would drink 2l of coke a day during her pregnant, an intelligent normal person who assumed hey it's just coke
    her baby ended up in nicu with caffine withdrawal
    and it's a disturbing condition to see
    the neonate gets tremors, it consistently lies there and shakes
    it was heartbreaking to see the guilt in her eyes when she saw her baby
    withdrawing from caffine for a newborn can actually be worse than most illegal drugs

I digress,

so what's the big deal why do you drink?
    Why is it you feel this need to drink alcohol?
    Last edited by Tweak; 04-08-2010 at 10:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
    frankly, i cannot believe that anyone would even try to justify drinking whilst pregnant. we are pregnant for a few months out of our lives, surely we can put our unborn child first for these few months.
    Agree 100%

people get so hung up about listeria and drug free birth and can I eat this, will doing this hurt my baby
    but when it comes to alcohol it's ok to take a risk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loquaciousvibes View Post
    Obviously, drinking heavily while pregnant is dangerous, and can lead to FASD. But no study has been able to correlate moderate drinking to birth defects. The studies used to promote abstinence from drinking are based on results from heavy drinkers. Why do they blur the lines to make it apply to drinking across the board?

I feel that the pregnant woman is scrutinized, chastised, and patronized while it's perfectly acceptable to feed a child soda, fried food, and candy by the truckload while drowning your baby's immune system with antibiotics because he/she has a 'cold'. This is because parents aren't expected to be able to control their children, but self-sacrificing a woman's own body for the sake of optimal fetus health (and the greater good for all mankind) is a no-brainer.

Why can't we be told the truth and allow us to use our own judgment? It's simply not true that women who drink a glass or two a week is participating in dangerous or risky behavior that will inevitably harm her baby.
    Hear hear!!! And this doesn't just apply to light/moderate drinking while pregnant (by which I mean a glass of wine on a special occasion). Every time I get online I find out about something else I'm supposed to be doing or not supposed to be eating because I'm pregnant. It doesn't even just apply to health advice for pregnant women. 50 years ago women were told not to eat red meat because it makes you fat; now high-protein diets make you thin. Couples were prescribed ecstasy in marital counselling; now it's illegal. Doctors recommended people take up smoking to alleviate stress; now it's banned in public pretty much everywhere. Coffee! Is it bad for you or good for you, and does drinking it cancel out one of those 8 glasses of water you're supposed to drink every day? Take thalidomide to counter morning sickness! (Which, incidentally, my mother did while pregnant with me, and I'm just fine thank you very much.)

Let me put it another way: There are studies showing mobile phone use might irradiate your brain. How many of you still use your mobiles every day? How many of you use them while pregnant? Aren't you concerned about the harm this might cause your baby?

I just think we're all already under so much freaking pressure in our lives, especially while pregnant, that if you start thinking you've irreparably damaged your foetus by having a glass of champers on New Year's Eve, you're probably going to cause your baby far more damage from the stress than from that weeny little bit of booze.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need an "other" option as I didn't know I was PG for 19 weeks & drank every weekend, when I found out I stopped, but then towards the end of the pregnancy had the odd one.

DS is perfectly healthy by the way, I'm not suggesting that anyone drink for the first 19 weeks of their pregnancy though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ahem. um, are you saying that ALL women who have the odd small glass of wine with a meal during pregnancy is likened to one of an alcoholic?

The thing is, alcohol is NOT that important to most women who have had the odd glass of wine during pregnancy hence why we only have the odd glass here and there.
    Read my post a lot of pages back about a woman who had a couple of drinks a couple of times during pregnancy and ended up with a baby with FAS...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes but what was her definition of "the odd light drink" I'm sorry, but I bet you she really toned down her story on her drinking.
    I don't think so. I believe that it was sporadic and only 1 or 2 standard drinks a couple of times. But I guess people don't want to hear about that.

I agree with a PP in that you wouldn't put even the slightest bit of alcohol in a baby's bottle, yet happily drink while pregnant.

My grandmother once told me that I had to give DD a bottle before bed if she wasn't going to sleep and add a teaspoon of brandy to it. Most would be horrified by that. Yet many who would be horrified by that would agree that it's ok to drink while pregnant. The amount of alcohol going to the baby would be a minute amount. 1 teaspoon in a baby's bottle isn't all that much, you know.

So why are we so horrified at the thought of doing that to a baby when we're not horrified by a mother drinking when pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do. I want to hear everything about these 2 sporadic glasses of alcohol she had. I want to know when she had them, and how much she had.

The only reason I suggested she toned down her story is because any mother who gave her child FAS/E would be feeling rather guilty I presume and would not be wanting to take full responsibility for giving their child FAS. So how do you not take responsibility for your actions? You simply imply that you didn't know a couple of drinks here and there could harm your baby.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was drinking a glass or more day, but, she would never admit that to you would she?
    I'm inclined to believe what was said, based on the fact that the woman in question has never been a heavy drinker so why would someone who has never been a heavy drinker then go on to drink daily during pregnancy?

And I'd still like to hear from people why it's seen as horrific to add any amount of alcohol to a baby's bottle, even as a one-off to get the baby to sleep through the night, yet it's not seen as horrific to drink any amount of alcohol during pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a drink a day is not classified as heavy drinking to some.

Ok, have you ever given your child cough syrup? Some cough syrups contain alcohol.
    Even better along with the alcohol it contains dextromethorphan. Do you know what that is? its the cough suppressant, but woops if you give your child a little extra, it starts to act as a dissociative hallucinogen which in turn will cause the drowsiness and put a child to sleep.
    She's never had cough syrup

She's had panadol maybe 3 or 4 times in her life.

She had Pain Stop for 2 days after severely burning herself.

She's had antibiotics a couple of times for a UTI.

She's rarely sick. I'm rarely sick. We don't use anything unless it's absolutely necessary

And the term "heavy drinker" was based on what I see as being a heavy drinker. Drinking every day is what I would class as a heavy drinker. Drinking a couple of drinks every few months is not what I would class as heavy drinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahem. um, are you saying that ALL women who have the odd small glass of wine with a meal during pregnancy is likened to one of an alcoholic?

The thing is, alcohol is NOT that important to most women who have had the odd glass of wine during pregnancy hence why we only have the odd glass here and there.
    um nooooooo
    i just find that interesting sorry should have added that

What i'm saying is

WHY is it soooooooooooooo god damn hard for you to not have a drink

I'm actually quite interested to know what women who drink in pregnancy find so hard to stop

I'm not saying your an alcoholic

but why is it not even pregnant women but most people find so difficult about survivng a celebration with out a buzz?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a drink a day is not classified as heavy drinking to some.

Ok, have you ever given your child cough syrup? Some cough syrups contain alcohol.
    Even better along with the alcohol it contains dextromethorphan. Do you know what that is? its the cough suppressant, but woops if you give your child a little extra, it starts to act as a dissociative hallucinogen which in turn will cause the drowsiness and put a child to sleep.
    I don't agree with cough syrup as it counteract the body trying to get rid of gunk in the lungs

But.... Cough syrup has a medicinal purpose

alcohol is for pleasure