View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    nope never after my "friend" lost her baby due to intoxication and having a very nasty fall and two childeren with holes in the heart bowel and such I never did she could never get what was so wrong about drinking and since lossing her baby she drinks even more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loquaciousvibes View Post
    Why can't we be told the truth and allow us to use our own judgment? It's simply not true that women who drink a glass or two a week is participating in dangerous or risky behavior that will inevitably harm her baby.
    Because as pregnant women we apparently have no judgement every decision is viewed and judged by someone and of course harmful to our baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    WHAAAAAT???!!! You mean I had a WORKING brain during my pregnancy and could've made decisions of my own??? NOW you're telling me!

For 9 whole months I sat there like a couchpotato having midwives, doctors, friends and family making decisions for me, because it is well known that pregnant women suffer "baby brain' (NWBD = Non Working Brain Disorder) and therefor can NOT make their own decisions.
    It is best to tie the pregnant female, for the whole duration of the pregnancy, to the couch so that she will not do harm to the unborn child. And if you are really keen, I guess it wont hurt to tie her hands to her back too and spoonfeed her.
    I mean, you need to practice spoonfeeding your perfect and unharmed baby anyway.

Gosh I love irony and sarcasm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um.. why be nasty?

For some reason almost EVERYONE would agree its wrong to give a 1 year old a bottle with red wine in it to drink (because alcohol only does bad things to the brain & cells).. but its not wrong to give your unborn baby a drink of wine? I just cant see what the difference is..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with you here. You wouldn't give a child a bottle of wine. I also wouldn't drink a bottle of wine in one sitting while pregnant. And I don't know any mother to be who would.

You make it seem like all women who have the odd glass here and there are alcoholics. Which is totally untrue.

Maybe you are unaware of how our bodies actually work. Everything you eat or ingest does NOT go straight to your baby first, it has to go through you, there is a lot of breaking down. Alcohol is mainly metabolised by the liver, and only what's left will be met by the placenta. The amount that could reach the foetus in a glass of beer or a glass of wine is negligible.

Now I'm only talking about a glass of wine with a meal every now and again.

It seems what your talking about is a binge drinking session. There is a huge distinction between the two.
    I said "a bottle with wine IN it" (as in a bottle/cup)

But thanks for answering my question..

loquaciousvibes - thanks for answering in a nice/friendly manner, muchly appreciated
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 27-07-2010 at 12:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess we at least know that the people who admit to having a glass of wine now and then, are telling the truth. But how many women say they have not had anything to drink, only to make them look like saints, even though they know they aren't being truthful?

Im sorry, but this is just one of those threads again that will bring up controversy.
    I really have to start ignoring these threads.

Thanks
    Reviews

Why can't we be told the truth and allow us to use our own judgment? It's simply not true that women who drink a glass or two a week is participating in dangerous or risky behavior that will inevitably harm her baby.
    Not inevitably, but there is a chance - so why risk it? Is it really such a huge sacrifice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grechka View Post
    Not inevitably, but there is a chance - so why risk it? Is it really such a huge sacrifice?
    After all the stuff I've typed in this thread.. you said it SO well.. this is all I was trying to say. But hey, I'll never understand it..

Thanks
    Reviews
    With both my pregnancies I did not drink after finding out that I was pregnant. But there was probably a few weeks on my first and probably about 4 weeks on my second. Didn't drink very much tho, just the odd drink at the end of the day.

Although at Christmas last year I was eating dessert and I did not realize but there was a bit of rum in it. Mum was like that's OK isn't it? and I was like not really. My DP thought it was so funny because she's by mum and getting the booze on tsk tsk. I just though she would know better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzaaa View Post
    I had a west coast on Christmas Day but felt too guilty and couldn't enjoy it.

I haven't touched a drop this pregnancy.

Best to avoid alcohol altogether during pregnancy IMO

I did the same thing! DH brought some West Coast's for everyone on xmas day and I had one sip but couldn't drink the rest as I felt guilty.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast