View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

    9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

    323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

    627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

    13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

    211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 338
  1. #321
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    13
    Reviews
    0
    I didn't drink with DS, but with DD I drank before I found out I was pregnant, and stopped straight away. Have been the same with this pregnancy. I don't drink while BF either.

  2. #322
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BebeBurton View Post
    Because people care. They care about the health & wellbeing of unborn babies and therefore its a topic that some feel passionately about.

    If those that drink alcohol are coping flack and there is growing social pressure for pregnant women to totally abstain from alcohol during pregnancy its probably for good reason.
    You are walking dangerous ground when you start talking about caring vs not caring. I'm finding your posts VERY judgemental and quite offensive. Your poor SIL with your judging.

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

    greenapppples  (24-02-2012),lambjam  (24-02-2012),naebie  (25-02-2012),satapt  (24-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-02-2012)

  4. #323
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked
    24
    Reviews
    4
    I had one weak champagne and orange juice at my baby shower and half a small glass of wine at my work party they threw for me. The stress I put up with at work during my pregnancy would have had more of an effect than a couple glasses of alcohol.

  5. #324
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    143
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    The amount of alcohol in a splash of bitters would be negligible.
    Common sense people!
    Actually it's 45.6% alcohol, so depends how liberally bebe's bartender is pouring. Grey Goose vodka is only 40% so she might as well start adding a few drops of that to her lemon and lime, might make her comments less self righteous and judgemental.

    Just so we are clear, I have no problem drinking lemon lime and bitters. And as for the odd glass of wine, I have asked 3 doctors now and all have said the odd glass if fine. Though I'm sure I could find 3 more to say that it is not. Each to their own.

    And before I start getting comments back about some study in some women's magazine, what about the studies on coffee, and diet softdrink etc. etc.

    Common sense for those who have it, abstinence from everything for those who don't.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to auntyof5 For This Useful Post:

    Etienne  (24-02-2012),lambjam  (24-02-2012),satapt  (24-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-02-2012)

  7. #325
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh sorry auntyof5, I think we are on the same side
    Agreed.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

    auntyof5  (24-02-2012)

  9. #326
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BebeBurton View Post
    This is a ridiculous argument and shows no logic. Driving a car and pegging out the washing are day to day necessities of life, drinking alcohol is simply a GUILTY pleasure, there is no comparison!!!
    I've been accused of a few things in my time, but showing "no logic" has never been one of them!

    If you read carefully you'll see that it is, in fact, logic that I've employed here, rather than drawing on emotive factors (eg guilt).

    Have you never heard the wives' tale about not hanging out washing while pregnant? It was so prevalent in my mother's day that during my first pregnancy she came to live with me SOLELY to hang out my washing.

    So if we are to talk about "risk", then let's talk about risk! Let's take it to its logical conclusion which is to determine the risk of EVERYTHING we do as it relates to our unborn babies. That you perceive driving a car as a "day to day necessity" means nothing if you're going to look at the logic of the "risk" argument.

    My point was, if you're not interested in drawing the "why risk it?" argument out to its logical conclusion (which is extreme and, IMO, unviable) then please don't introduce it in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by BebeBurton View Post
    Because people care. They care about the health & wellbeing of unborn babies and therefore its a topic that some feel passionately about.
    I care. I care so much that I do my own research because I don't blindly trust everything told to me. That I came to a different conclusion than you doesn't mean I care less. If I was a more ignorant and presumptuous person I might assume that the fact that I spend so much time reading and researching means I care more. Luckily I'm neither ignorant nor presumptuous .
    Last edited by lambjam; 24-02-2012 at 16:13.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

    Alexander Beetle  (24-02-2012),naebie  (25-02-2012),satapt  (24-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-02-2012)

  11. #327
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think people need to understand that there is difference between having an occasional drink, and actually drinking throughout pregnancy!

    Agree with the statement above. If you don't have any common sense about these things, it's prob best if you abstain completely.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

    lambjam  (24-02-2012),OneNowOneLater  (24-02-2012)

  13. #328
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked
    43
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I think people need to understand that there is difference between having an occasional drink, and actually drinking throughout pregnancy!

    Agree with the statement above. If you don't have any common sense about these things, it's prob best if you abstain completely.
    So, what your saying is, out of the 330 posts in this thread, those that have voiced their opinions and / or chosen to abstain from alcohol during pregnancy have no common sense!?!?

    I suppose that means that all the medical professionals (including my own very highly respected GP) who also advises to totally abstain from alcohol during pregnancy also have no common sense!?

    In that case I have taken the following quotation from a study posted on the World Health Organisation website. You might to like to provide them with your feedback.

    "The findings have established that small to moderate doses of alcohol during pregnancy may have an impact on children’s cognitive and socioemotional development. To be safe and avoid potential damage to children’s health, care professionals are recommended to advise women to abstain from alcohol consumption during or when planning pregnancy"

    No common sense I tell you!!!!

  14. #329
    tiggerfields's Avatar
    tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked
    508
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BebeBurton View Post
    So, what your saying is, out of the 330 posts in this thread, those that have voiced their opinions and / or chosen to abstain from alcohol during pregnancy have no common sense!?!?

    I suppose that means that all the medical professionals (including my own very highly respected GP) who also advises to totally abstain from alcohol during pregnancy also have no common sense!?

    In that case I have taken the following quotation from a study posted on the World Health Organisation website. You might to like to provide them with your feedback.

    "The findings have established that small to moderate doses of alcohol during pregnancy may have an impact on children’s cognitive and socioemotional development. To be safe and avoid potential damage to children’s health, care professionals are recommended to advise women to abstain from alcohol consumption during or when planning pregnancy"

    No common sense I tell you!!!!
    Hear, hear. Couldn't agree more BebeBurton. I can't believe drinking and/or smoking during pregnancy is even a topic of discussion any more. Both are bad for you and subjecting a tiny person who has no choice in the matter to either substance is wrong.

    The legal age drinking is there for a reason. I'll draw a logical conclusion of my own - force-feeding a baby a drug in-utero is functionally the same as putting alcohol in a toddler's bottle or blowing cigarette smoke in their faces. Except probably worse because the baby is still forming.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

    BebeBurton  (24-02-2012)

  16. #330
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BebeBurton View Post
    So, what your saying is, out of the 330 posts in this thread, those that have voiced their opinions and / or chosen to abstain from alcohol during pregnancy have no common sense!?!?

    I suppose that means that all the medical professionals (including my own very highly respected GP) who also advises to totally abstain from alcohol during pregnancy also have no common sense!?

    In that case I have taken the following quotation from a study posted on the World Health Organisation website. You might to like to provide them with your feedback.

    "The findings have established that small to moderate doses of alcohol during pregnancy may have an impact on children’s cognitive and socioemotional development. To be safe and avoid potential damage to children’s health, care professionals are recommended to advise women to abstain from alcohol consumption during or when planning pregnancy"

    No common sense I tell you!!!!
    I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. Go easy on the exclamations, they don't make your point any stronger.

    You have your view and that's fine. I choose to use what I believe is common sense for this particular issue. I am sure there are many other things in life that I would view as common sense but that you might disagree with. It doesn't make you (or me) right.

    I am well aware that the recommendation is that people abstain. In my view, that is because a large number of people would not use common sense and would drink too much if they were told that they could have a little. I am sure you will disagree but quoting at me and using multiple punctuation marks won't influence my opinion.

    Without wishing to change the topic of this thread it's a similar situation with vaccines. Many people believe it is common sense to do the full immunisation schedule according to what we are told we should do. Others do not.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

    naebie  (25-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (24-02-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Different Teas while pregnant.. what can I drink?
    By Justwant2beamummy in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 11:31
  2. i had a drink. i know im pregnant.
    By nice piece of crumpet in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 21:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!