View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I suppose it depends on how much credibility you give to what you hear.

If you took the "Why risk it?" line with EVERYTHING that ANYONE suggests might be a risk then you wouldn't be able to do much at all for nine months! Someone suggests microwaves are dangerous, well why risk it? Another suggests mobile phones are harmful, why risk it? Hanging washing on the line? Better not risk it. And to be perfectly honest, if you look at risk from a statistical viewpoint, it's far riskier for a pregnant woman to get into a car than have a small drink now and then.

I believe the alcohol guidelines are over-emphasised and over-cautious to cater to the lowest common denominator, the ones that have no common sense.

I have a high level of research skills and I'm happy with the decisions I've reached on my own; further I'll apply the same logic regarding "risk" to alcohol as I do to every other suggestion relating to pregnancy that gets thrown around and changed from year to year.

This is a ridiculous argument and shows no logic. Driving a car and pegging out the washing are day to day necessities of life, drinking alcohol is simply a GUILTY pleasure, there is no comparison!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BebeBurton View Post
    This is a ridiculous argument and shows no logic. Driving a car and pegging out the washing are day to day necessities of life, drinking alcohol is simply a GUILTY pleasure, there is no comparison!!!
    Lots of people do risky things while pregnant or while giving birth, why the do those who choose to drink the odd glass of alcohol cop all the flack?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I disagree

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely agree. There is no need to drink while pregnant. At all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think I have previously answered this, and can't remember what I said (hopefully it wasn't something self righteous ), but I'm pregnant again and have just had a couple of mouthfuls -

- yesterday, we went to lunch and I had two mouthfuls of my partner's beer
    - on nye, i had a couple of mouthfuls of champagne

I have no concern at all about a couple of mouthfuls every couple of months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not once do I drink while pregnant! When I am not sure but not a huge drinker anyhow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Lots of people do risky things while pregnant or while giving birth, why the do those who choose to drink the odd glass of alcohol cop all the flack?
    Because people care. They care about the health & wellbeing of unborn babies and therefore its a topic that some feel passionately about.

If those that drink alcohol are coping flack and there is growing social pressure for pregnant women to totally abstain from alcohol during pregnancy its probably for good reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't drink while pregnant, but did prior to finding out with bub #1. He was a lovely surprise, and I found out the weekend after a major weekend down the coast drinking like a fish!

Thanks
    Reviews
    On a side note: My SIL drank during both her pregnancies, maybe two or three times a month but could have 3 to 4 drinks in any one sitting. Surprise, surprise, she had two premmie babies. I realise this may not have been the only cause of her premature deliveries (though there were no other known health factors) but I would rather not live the rest of my life wondering if I could of prevented it by simply replacing my wine with a lemon, lime & bitters.

Complete abstinence is the only way to be on the safe side - in my opinion... the BEST side to be on.
    Not sure if anyone has told you this yet but you do realise the "Bitters" in a lemon lime and bitters IS alcohol!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to auntyof5 For This Useful Post:

bada  (24-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auntyof5 View Post
    Not sure if anyone has told you this yet but you do realise the "Bitters" in a lemon lime and bitters IS alcohol!

The amount of alcohol in a splash of bitters would be negligible.
    Common sense people!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

naebie  (25-02-2012),Ulysses  (24-02-2012)