View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just signed up take part in a study on this in Melbourne, called Aqua. Results should be out in 4/5 years and they track you through pregnancy and first two years of baby's life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

chellek  (01-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I chose No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby, although I really do wish there had been an option for people who drank before finding out they were pregnant

I had a few drinks on Christmas day, I think it was around three vodka cruisers, I would not have touched the stuff if I had known I was pregnant though.

My husband and I have been ttc for around 8 years now. After I got my job I decided to concentrate on losing weight, and was going to go back to the fertility doctors when I got back to under 100 kilos, and I lost a lot of weight (still not quite there though ). I had been having a few full sugar drinks over the festive season (non alcoholic, and only one or two here and there, excluding my Christmas day drinking) but thought it was enough to throw my hormones back out of whack, so I thought that plus Christmas snacking was why I was so late. When af still hadn't shown up by late Jan I was getting suspicious and decided to take a test just to be sure and I finally had my bfp

More of a concern then my Christmas day drinks though was my smoking and caffeine intake. I didn't want to stop smoking while also trying to lose weight (I tried that before and crashed both my diet and my quitting smoking, so I was just trying to lose weight and when I had a handle on that, quit smoking). I also switched to diet coke since the water here is terrible and it was kind of my good low calorie treat. I really didn't think that after all this time I would fall pregnant all on my own lol. Luckily I didn't smoke much, around 12 a day, and I am pretty sure I was under the 200 ml caffine intake (one coffee in the morning and three cans of dc a day, which would be borderline according to a chart I found to measure caffeine intake ). Although I'm not sure, and am just hoping my first scan goes well. Its about a week away now and I'm getting nervous and excited and a bit teary lol

Since I got my bfp I have quit smoking and cut back on the caffeine, I take my supplements (I call them horse pills cause I am terrible at taking larger tablets lol), and have really been careful about my diet. Its not easy but I really just want to do what is best for Bub and after so long of trying I just wouldn't feel right taking any risks. If something goes wrong then I know the guilt would eat me alive

This is a lot longer then I planned
    Last edited by Amiedoll; 09-02-2012 at 00:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope not one drop and didn't while breast feeding either. Just fully weaned DS1 and enjoying a few before we are UTD again because I won't have any in any other pregnancy either. Personal choice not based on any research it's not my baby's choice to drink so why subject it to the alcohol. I do love a good drink but it's only a short period of time in my life I have to go without for someone else!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleGuppy For This Useful Post:

satapt  (24-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am pregnant with number 2 & had one drop of champagne last night during toasts at bil's wedding. When I say one drop I literally mean one drop, wasn't even a sip. And for the rest of my pregnancy (like with ds) I will be alcohol free

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a half and half glass of champagne at my own wedding when I was about 3 months pregnant, and that was it. I just was a bit turned off it to be honest. The waitress kept trying to give me drinks, and I kept having to say no. In the end I had to get one of the bridesmaids to take her aside and tell her I was pregnant so I wasn't going to be drinking anything else! She was a bit snappy about it because she'd had a few brews herself and was frustrated with the waitress, so I had to apologise for her later on.
    Thankfully the waitress just laughed and apologised for being so pushy, she just thought I looked bored and tired (I was desperately trying to stay awake haha).
    So yeah, didn't really drink with my first bub and won't drink with my second. I don't really judge people as there's so many conflicting reports out there. Some people say a glass of wine a week is fine, some people say not a drop. *shrug* I just stick with what I can handle, which means no alcohol because my stomach can't handle it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose not to drink with both of my pregnancies or while breast feeding. Personal choice really. Call me silly but i avoided anything and everything that could even slightly have a negative impact on my unborn baby or newborn...

Thanks
    Reviews
    my thinking is why risk it? give it up for 9 months or have a lifetime of health issues with your kid?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janzward View Post
    my thinking is why risk it? give it up for 9 months or have a lifetime of health issues with your kid?
    I suppose it depends on how much credibility you give to what you hear.

If you took the "Why risk it?" line with EVERYTHING that ANYONE suggests might be a risk then you wouldn't be able to do much at all for nine months! Someone suggests microwaves are dangerous, well why risk it? Another suggests mobile phones are harmful, why risk it? Hanging washing on the line? Better not risk it. And to be perfectly honest, if you look at risk from a statistical viewpoint, it's far riskier for a pregnant woman to get into a car than have a small drink now and then.

I believe the alcohol guidelines are over-emphasised and over-cautious to cater to the lowest common denominator, the ones that have no common sense.

I have a high level of research skills and I'm happy with the decisions I've reached on my own; further I'll apply the same logic regarding "risk" to alcohol as I do to every other suggestion relating to pregnancy that gets thrown around and changed from year to year.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (19-02-2012),Bambibambino  (18-02-2012),Guest654  (18-02-2012),kw123  (18-02-2012),nasacha  (18-02-2012),satapt  (24-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-02-2012),VintageLover  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I suppose it depends on how much credibility you give to what you hear.

If you took the "Why risk it?" line with EVERYTHING that ANYONE suggests might be a risk then you wouldn't be able to do much at all for nine months! Someone suggests microwaves are dangerous, well why risk it? Another suggests mobile phones are harmful, why risk it? Hanging washing on the line? Better not risk it. And to be perfectly honest, if you look at risk from a statistical viewpoint, it's far riskier for a pregnant woman to get into a car than have a small drink now and then.

I believe the alcohol guidelines are over-emphasised and over-cautious to cater to the lowest common denominator, the ones that have no common sense.

I have a high level of research skills and I'm happy with the decisions I've reached on my own; further I'll apply the same logic regarding "risk" to alcohol as I do to every other suggestion relating to pregnancy that gets thrown around and changed from year to year.
    Whilst I get your drift, I still see getting into an ACCIDENT after getting into a car or hanging out the washing much different to INTENTIALLY putting a poison into your system during pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    Whilst I get your drift, I still see getting into an ACCIDENT after getting into a car or hanging out the washing much different to INTENTIALLY putting a poison into your system during pregnancy.
    Getting into a car is initially putting yourself and baby in a risky position, a fast moving vehicle, and even if you werent to die in a high speed accident, a small prang could cause the seatbelt to pull tight across your abdo and hurt or kill the baby. Just as risky as drinking imo.

But in saying that, i choose not to drink, not a drop - but will still drive a car :P

I guess the difference for me is that putting alcohol in your body garuntees there is a poison going into your system, even if it is only small amounts and unlikely to cause harm. Getting into a car does not garuntee i will get in an accident, although if an accident were to occur the consequences may be far greater.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub