View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the point is, none of us are stupid and we all make informed choices. Those choices might not be the same as yours but people make different parenting decisions every day. Each to their own. No judgment required. Although maybe I'm just a bad mother as I still eat ham sandwiches, salads and refuse to ever ask for a steak to be well done!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just added my thoughts to the thread. I included information for those who are still unsure. Like I said, those who want to drink during pregnancy can go ahead and do so. I, personally, don't want to take the risk.. the risks are known and real, so I'll wait the 9 months before I have a drink. This site is here to share thoughts, opinions and information. What you take from it is up to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely! My post wasn't aimed at you directly, just general comments

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have absolutely no doubt that every single mother/expectant mother on here wants nothing but the best for their children. I believe that knowledge is power and the more we know about doing the best we can in order to have healthy babies, the better.
    When my mum was having her kids, they provided ashtrays in the hospitals! Research has come so far and what we "can and can't do" during pregnancy is a little overwhelming, but in this particular instance, in regards to drinking alcohol, I just wouldn't want to risk it due to everything I've read/been told advising against it.
    There's no such thing as a perfect parent, we all just strive for the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 6wks pregnant with my first baby and I for one won't be touching a drop of alcohol during this pregnancy.

At heart, I am a true party girl, often seen necking back a bottle of my favourite NZ Sav Blanc. BUT! I have always known that if I was not willing to make simple sacrifices to my lifestyle for 9, 12, 18 months!?, then I simply was not ready to have a baby. The moment I saw those lines come up on that test stick, the switch went off in my brain, the motherly instinct kicked in and I have been on high alert ever since.

I think everyone's interpretation of "excessive" is different, particularly because of the drinking culture we exhibit in Australia. In the medical community more than 2 standard drinks in any sitting is deemed as 'Binge drinking' and in turn would be considered excessive but I imagine that so many people when they hear "excessive consumption" interpret that as 5,6,7 drinks which is simply not the case. It is also a known FACT that alcohol does enter the fetal blood****** at the same concentrations as the mothers, however it takes the fetas twice as long to eliminate the alcohol from its system, therefore, while you may be pleasantly typsy your baby may be close to the point of passing out. What if there was a vital part of my babies development in progress at that moment in time!?!? This information is enough for me to not even smell a glass of vino while pregnant.

Every thing I do, every decision I make, every bit of food & drink that I put into my mouth for the next 9 months will impact on my unborn baby. It doesn't get a say in any of it... it has to rely on me, its mother to make the best possible choices for it. Its a gift, a privilege to be carrying this baby, while I am reading such heartbreaking stories on this forum and in my DIG of early miscarriages it only makes me more determined to honour that privilege by doing what is right. The potential risks far out way any satisfaction that I would ever get from having a drink... it is simply just not worth it. In the big scheme of my entire life its a very small sacrifice to make.

On a side note: My SIL drank during both her pregnancies, maybe two or three times a month but could have 3 to 4 drinks in any one sitting. Surprise, surprise, she had two premmie babies. I realise this may not have been the only cause of her premature deliveries (though there were no other known health factors) but I would rather not live the rest of my life wondering if I could of prevented it by simply replacing my wine with a lemon, lime & bitters.

Complete abstinence is the only way to be on the safe side - in my opinion... the BEST side to be on.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BebeBurton For This Useful Post:

LoveyDovey  (18-02-2012),squirrelex  (12-01-2012),~Marigold~  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    BebeBurton, Well said!
    I said, in my first reply to this post a few weeks ago, the same thing, it's like a switch gets flicked off and the desire to drink is simply no longer there. And I enjoy a drink, believe me, LOL, but draw the line during pregnancy. I also saw first hand a woman I know drink during her pregnancy, I don't know how much/ how often shje drank, but when I saw her on Christmas a couple years back, she was content with her cans of bourbon! Her little girl almost died at birth, weighing only 2 pounds as a premmie.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

BebeBurton  (12-01-2012),FutureMa  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a neighbour who was almost continuously intoxicated when pregnant with her second (I only met her when 4 months preg with #2) and he was born at 40 weeks weighing just 4lb yet she was worse with her third, to the point where she would collapse onto her tummy and completely pass out on a regular basis. She drank every night. Spirits too. It was horrible to see a 6 year old look after a baby while pregnant Mum was in the front yard p*$$ed as a maggot screaming obscenities at Dad who was just as drunk and doing burnouts then getting taken away by the police.Yet that baby was born perfectly healthy at full term also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why do people assume because a baby comes out with its physical attributes in tact that its "perfectly healthy". There is more to a developing baby / child than just its eyes & ears. Do people just choose to not acknowledge what they cannot see.

My SIL who drank during her pregnancy decided once the baby was born that she could no longer drink because she was breastfeeding. I mean, this leaves me speechless.... connect the dots people!?!?!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BebeBurton For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (12-01-2012),squirrelex  (12-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Those premmie babies mentioned early probably all have fetal alcohol syndrome.

A devastating fate for any baby.

The consequence is huge and forever. Why take the risk?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BebeBurton View Post
    Why do people assume because a baby comes out with its physical attributes in tact that its "perfectly healthy". There is more to a developing baby / child than just its eyes & ears. Do people just choose to not acknowledge what they cannot see.

My SIL who drank during her pregnancy decided once the baby was born that she could no longer drink because she was breastfeeding. I mean, this leaves me speechless.... connect the dots people!?!?!
    I didn't say I agree, or that the baby will have no other problems, just that we all know someone who had a full term baby in good physical health, but that does not mean there are no risks.