View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No not at all. It's only 9months and maybe a few more. Surely u can't be that desperate to have a need to drink. It may not hurt the baby yet how can you be sure? Not a risk I was ever willing to try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have decided to have no alcohol at all. There are so many conflicting arguments and it is not for long anyway.

Before I knew I was pregnant (actually that nigiht!) I had been drinking on and off at various get togethers. I had been TTC for 5 months and thought it would never happen and just let go a little. Whoops! So I have decided not to have any at all as bubs already had it's fair share before I realised!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't drink at all. I didn't want to have a reason to blame myself should anything have gone wrong during the pregnancy. I also avoided all the foods that you are told not to eat during pregnancy for the same reason.

This is just how I felt, and by no means a dig at anyone who didn't handle their pregnancy the same way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope i didnt but i never drink anyway. Ive never liked the taste of alcohol, i got drunk once a few years back n that was enough for me lol

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have gestational diabetes and my endocrinologist said that a glass of wine is better for me than a glass of soft drink. Needless to say I only have one glass, only if in a social situation (prob about once every 6 weeks) and never had any in the first trimester. I never have any at home and I would drink diet softdrink out if they had more choice than just diet coke which I cannot stand.

Liney

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. I'd have a drink or two several times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. Not a big drinker anyways, so was easy to go without

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    So do we actually know (with plenty of evidence to back up claims) how much damage the odd glass of wine/beer/spirits can do?????
    I know there's the Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, but this usually happens with very heavy drinkers only.
    So what other dangers are there? National guidelines in Australia dont recommend complete abstinence if someone has been a heavy drinker before pregnancy, as the body will react severely and the withdrawal symptoms can actually endanger the fetus.
    According to THIS article, the opinions of doctors and professors are all over the place and studies held in several different cities in the US showed all very different outcomes as well.
    If you're a light drinker, abstinence is always best. But it seems a small glass of wine once every few weeks, or even just on special occasions only, wont do any harm.
    Again, it all boils down at how big your wineglass is and how full it is and what you see as a "standard" drink. My standard drink is just over half a glass of white wine. But someone else sees a standard drink as glass filled all the way to the top.
    Everything in moderation is the key, or just complete abstinance.

I had half a glass of white wine at the beginning of my 3rd trimester to celebrate my ex's sentence in court, and a half glass of wine when I got my NT scan and bloodtest results back realizing I made it to the second term after all the trouble and stress I went through in the first 13 weeks.

DS is delayed, but 2 pediatricians, 1 psychologist and 2 Occupational Therapists have excluded those 2 half glasses of wine being to blame. There really is no blame to be had.
    I did receive several big blows to my stomach at 9 weeks gestation which caused me to miscarriage my son's twin. That could be the cause or it might not. I dont want to think about it.
    We're working on it now and even though he's a bit delayed, he's the most sweetest and placid 2 year old I could ever wish for
    We know the nody does not need alcohol. It's not like we have to give up water, ot something else we actually really need. How much do we need before it causes problems? Who knows, but if we have none, it cannot hurt the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've been such a 'good housewife' lately and fetched DF glasses of wine or beer when he asks...

... So I can just have a smell & sip off the top...

Same as last pregnancy have a bizarre beer craving. I DON'T DRINK BEER. I don't even like it. I like the smell of it though. Weirdo.

And at a few BBQs I've nursed half a glass of wine for a few hours to feel like I'm 'having a drink'.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 21-12-2011 at 12:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a drinks no big deal really, just like all the foods they suggest not to eat. All just rubbish. Eat and drink whatever in moderation is the way to go.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof Plum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (03-01-2012),naebie  (19-02-2012)