View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyDaddy View Post
    I saw a woman about 6 months pregnant we'll assume drinking a glass of red in a pub.

My question is this.

Would you give that glass of red to your new born baby?

If the answer is no - then I ask - why on earth are you putting it in your body.

I'm a firm believer in no drinking during pregnancy. But then - i've had many friends drink moderately during pregnancy and give birth to perfectly healthy babies.
    The reason your friends babies were born healthy is because when a baby is inside us it is not the same as handing a baby a glass of red. The body filters out almost all of the alcohol. I can't remember the exact amount that is left but it is extemely insignificant! This is why women can take very strong drugs etc for difficult pregnancies and their babies are perfectly fine! The body is an amazing thing which aims to protect the baby. Of course we would never give a newborn baby two panadol but we can take two panadol ourselves and the baby will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngNotDumb View Post
    The reason your friends babies were born healthy is because when a baby is inside us it is not the same as handing a baby a glass of red. The body filters out almost all of the alcohol. I can't remember the exact amount that is left but it is extemely insignificant! This is why women can take very strong drugs etc for difficult pregnancies and their babies are perfectly fine! The body is an amazing thing which aims to protect the baby. Of course we would never give a newborn baby two panadol but we can take two panadol ourselves and the baby will be fine
    I strongly agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I did. And won't be made to feel guilty for doing so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    with the last three posts

I wouldn't let my son suck on my asthma medication, but I took it all through my pregnancy - theres lots of things I put in my body while pregnant, that I wouldn't put in his, because its not like a direct link between my mouth and his body when he's inside me.

I did have a few half glasses of wine now and then, and Jasper was perfectly fine.

I wouldn't have done it every day, or every week even, just the odd half glass sipping so I feel *a part* of the adult world, not just an incubator

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

TurnedBatty  (17-12-2010)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw a woman about 6 months pregnant we'll assume drinking a glass of red in a pub.

My question is this.

If the answer is no - then I ask - why on earth are you putting it in your body.

I'm a firm believer in no drinking during pregnancy. But then - i've had many friends drink moderately during pregnancy and give birth to perfectly healthy babies.
    It was probably me!
    No offence but the comparison is utterly ridiculous, I also wouldn't give my newborn a steak to chew on or a adult quantity of panadol either.
    I have done my research and drunk very lightly through all of my pregnancys. I have two very very healthy, happy boys so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngNotDumb View Post
    I agree with this post entirely.

Also, I'm not a fan of a pregnant woman drinking ten schooners or four cans of jim beam down at the pub. But I've seen pregnant women at a restaurant have a glass of wine and not thought ill of them. I myself have had two glasses this pregnancy, I dilute them with lemonade purely because they are a bit sweet, but I'd happily have a glass of wine every now and then and not feel bad.

My OB condones it, and through all my medical training sensible amounts of wine were always considered fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's irresponable to sit there going I drank and my kids are fine!! I mean do u really know that for sure, you will never know completey what u have done, also the risk is huge, especially when foetal alcohol syndrome is real, I have worked first hand with these children an believe me anyone who has wouldn't think twice about whether or not they'll have a drink while pregnant, I believe it's a Huge gamble u are taking with your childrens life and u are just purely lucky they are so called 'healthy'

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_alcohol_syndrome

Studies indicate that the physical and mental impairments wont be as prominent if the mother drinks less than 8 drinks per week... Some effects will only be something small like bad memory when they are older if the mother had a few drinks prenatal.. but this link is WELL worth the read.

Thanks
    Reviews

My question is this.

When one of my friends discovered I was pregnant (with my fourth), she gave me a cask of wine and instructed me to drink half a glass every other day because it had health benefits. I declined, but just thought I would point out different people have differing opinions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moomechanic View Post
    I think it's irresponable to sit there going I drank and my kids are fine!! I mean do u really know that for sure, you will never know completey what u have done, also the risk is huge, especially when foetal alcohol syndrome is real, I have worked first hand with these children an believe me anyone who has wouldn't think twice about whether or not they'll have a drink while pregnant, I believe it's a Huge gamble u are taking with your childrens life and u are just purely lucky they are so called 'healthy'
    Yes I do know my son is fine in fact he is very clever and has no iSsues what so ever. And my mother has worked with children with foetal alcohol syndrome for over twenty years and works in early intervention for children with global delay and has her own program and I can tell you now she does condone the occasional drink in pregnancy and is probably in a pretty good situation to judge too. There are NO links between light and infrequent drinking in pregnancy and health iSsues in children which means the occasional drink and is a totally different thing to having a glass a few times a week which would be considered frequent