View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I drank during my pregnancies. On about 6 different occasions I had sptizers. I am not much of a drinker to begin with and these were "going out occasions", I was grazing all night and also drinking water and soft drink in between.
    I have never been drunk or even tipsy whilst pregnant. I honestly don't believe there is any wrong with it, for me. I can't answer for anyone else and I don't need to lie. You can be responsible for yourself.
    I just don't think there can be a "blanket rule" for every one, not everyone is the same. It is my choice, with in reason, the way I look after my body and my child, and why some mothers have to be so judgmental towards other mothers I will never know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    I drank during my pregnancies. On about 6 different occasions I had sptizers. I am not much of a drinker to begin with and these were "going out occasions", I was grazing all night and also drinking water and soft drink in between.
    I have never been drunk or even tipsy whilst pregnant. I honestly don't believe there is any wrong with it, for me. I can't answer for anyone else and I don't need to lie. You can be responsible for yourself.
    I just don't think there can be a "blanket rule" for every one, not everyone is the same. It is my choice, with in reason, the way I look after my body and my child, and why some mothers have to be so judgmental towards other mothers I will never know.
    Yeh but I think there is a difference between being judgmental and being concerned about the health and well being of an unborn child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meatpopsicle View Post
    it's not like I don't have the willpower to not drink, or that I don't care about my baby. I just honestly don't think the occasional glass is that bad.
    i agree, i can tell u what i drank
    west coast at dinner, half lemonade and i didnt finish it
    a heineken at a resteraunt, yes a full one
    and a smirnoff at my 18th at the comedy club, i nursed it all night and didnt actually finish the whole thing

and i didnt feel guilty, i probably wouldve drunk more if there were more opportunities where i felt like it but thats it, i felt like it at those times so i did it, i also ate ham and prawns at chrissie, and enjoyed the hell outta them, my body, my choice, yes i think binge drinking, eccesive smoking, illicit drugs is bad throughout pregnancy, im not going to get all hoity and say "no i could never do that to my unborn child because my auntues friends neighbors sister had a drink and had a baby with disabilities" frankly if i wanted it that bad then ill risk that small chance that my beer will hurt my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    With dd1, i drank pretty heavily before i knew i was preg, then i only had 1/2 a vodka cruiser at about 7 months preg. With dd2, i drank almost every weekend until i was about 5 o 6 months preg, but i only had 1 or 2 rums each time.

I also smoked thru both my pregs, with dd1 i cut down to 6 a day (my dr actually told me not to quit completely, just to cut down as much as i could), and with dd2 I smoked the same as wha i did before i was preg, which is about 15 to 20 a day.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 11-08-2010 at 11:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before I found out I was pregnant with DS1 I used to go out ALOT. As soon as I found out I was pregnant though I quit straight away.

With DS2 I didn't touch alcohol once and hadn't had a drink for about 6 months prior to falling pregnant.

With regards to a PP's question about smoking; I am a smoker, as long as I am not pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Yeh but I think there is a difference between being judgmental and being concerned about the health and well being of an unborn child.
    Sure I totally understand the concerned part,
    but these comments come across as judgemental to me.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymuma View Post
    Didn't drink at all while pregnant with either and to be honest I am disgusted by those that do. Some might not like my opinion but I am entitled to it

Quote Originally Posted by Elle1972 View Post
    No. I can't understand people who do. Why is it such a huge sacrifice to simply not drink.
    I cant believe people actually admit to knowingly drinking while pregnant on here.. I mean, its 2010.. we know what alcohol does to an adult brain, now imagine what its doing to the babies.. actually, you dont even have to imagine, its printed in black & white
    Well, yes, but its sad that people would CHOOSE to subject their baby that kind of thing..
    People make there CHOICES according to there personal Experiences and information that's out there.
    EG:
    Quote Originally Posted by loquaciousvibes View Post
    Yes but what was her definition of "the odd light drink" I'm sorry, but I bet you she really toned down her story on her drinking.

I just thought I'd include a clip from an article:

"A study out of the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, published in this month's edition of Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research had researchers track the habits of 837 pregnant women between July 2003 and June 2004. During prenatal doctor's appointments, the women were asked to answer questions about their drinking behaviors during pregnancy. 52.2% admitted to having consumed alcohol at least once during the 9 months, and 13.9% admitted to having binge drank (consumed 5 or more alcoholic drinks in a sitting) during the their pregnancy. Of the 800+ women, 2 gave birth to children with fetal alcohol syndrome."

So out of 837 women who admitted to drinking whilst pregnant 2 gave birth the children with FAS.

Obviously, drinking heavily while pregnant is dangerous, and can lead to FASD. But no study has been able to correlate moderate drinking to birth defects. The studies used to promote abstinence from drinking are based on results from heavy drinkers. Why do they blur the lines to make it apply to drinking across the board?

Why can't we be told the truth and allow us to use our own judgment? It's simply not true that women who drink a glass or two a week is participating in dangerous or risky behavior that will inevitably harm her baby.
    There are so many factors that can harm your child from what you drink to what you eat, activities you choose to partake in, medical procedures/interventions, the list is endless. Women make decisions every day for there unborn baby's. I think we should give each other a bit of credit because we all know how hard it can be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I picked the most common option, no 3.

I was not preg but on CD 6 i drunk a few spirits and i o'd on CD13 and got preg on CD13. Since then i havnt drank for the fact that it took 6 months to get preg and i had 1 m/c and i wasnt doing anything to increase my chance of damaging my baby. I dont even sit in the front seat of our car as air bags kill more pregnant womens babys then save, including a really close friends baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really haven't felt the urge to drink. I tried to have half a glass of wine at 9 weeks at an engagement party so no-one guessed I was pregnant but it didn't even taste right!
    DP has a drink most afternoons after work but I really have never been tempted to join him. That helps I guess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a single drop.
    I don't judge women who have the odd glass while pregnant. I just knew if I had a drink and something went wrong ( miscarriage, stillbirth etc ) I knew I would blame myself for having that drink ( even if it wasn't alcohol related at all )

I also cut out coffee for most of my pregnancy too. Because I was scared how the caffeine would effect bubba.

Guess I was a little overprotective before he was even born

Kris T is offline EurekaFlagRing.com.au & TheBookman.com.au
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPE2BMUMSOON View Post
    I picked the most common option, no 3.

I was not preg but on CD 6 i drunk a few spirits and i o'd on CD13 and got preg on CD13. Since then i havnt drank for the fact that it took 6 months to get preg and i had 1 m/c and i wasnt doing anything to increase my chance of damaging my baby. I dont even sit in the front seat of our car as air bags kill more pregnant womens babys then save, including a really close friends baby.
    Well its obvious this is a touchy subject, we mothers are very protective of ours and anyones newborns and yet to be borns.

So I would like to thank HOPE2BMUMSOON for pointing out a danger that I had not even thought about and that is the effect of a air bag on a pregnant women. We are hoping to be blessed with a second child and that is something I will remember if and when I get pregnant again. Thank you for bringing up something that is lessed talked about.