View Poll Results: Did you drink when you were (or are) pregnant?

Voters
1183. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I drank the same as before pregnant and wasn't concerned

9 0.76%
  • Yes - but only the odd glass every now and again

323 27.30%
  • No - I made a decision not to drink at all for the health of my baby

627 53.00%
  • No - I didn't feel like drinking whilst pregnant (nausea, etc)

13 1.10%
  • No - combination of above, didn't feel like drinking and was concerned about my baby's health

211 17.84%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Did you drink when you were pregnant?

The latest report into drinking whilst pregnant shows that women are still confused about whether it's safe to drink small amounts of alcohol whilst pregnant (we're talking small here, everyone knows that binge drinking is a no-no whilst preggers).

Here's a quote from an article in the Canberra Times today:

The 80 per cent of pregnant women who consume alcohol are in a ''no-person's land'' when making decisions about drinking, according to research to be published today.Prior to 2001, Australian health guidelines recommended that pregnant women abstain from alcohol.
    In 2001, the guidelines were changed to recommend avoidance of a high maternal blood-alcohol level. Last year the National Health and Medical Medical Research Council changed its advice to say that women who were pregnant, planing a pregnancy or breastfeeding should not drink alcohol at all.
    The change reflected a lack of scientific knowledge about possible safe levels of alcohol exposure for unborn and breastfed babies. Research published in the Medical Journal of Australia found 80 per cent of pregnant women aged 22-33 years consumed alcohol during pregnancy prior to the policy change in 2001.
    The result was about the same for women who were pregnant after the 2001 policy change.
    Study co-author Jennifer Powers, a statistician at the University of Newcastle, said high levels of alcohol consumption during pregnancy could cause foetal alcohol syndrome which resulted in stunted growth and intellectual disability.
    But it was not clear what impact low or moderate alcohol consumption could have on an unborn baby.
    Ms Powers said many pregnant women and some of their health-care providers seemed unsure about how much, if any, alcohol it was safe to consume.
    ''But if you want to take any risk don't drink at all and you should certainly avoid high levels of alcohol consumption.''
    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...y/1863560.aspx

Did you drink when you were / are pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had a west coast on Christmas Day but felt too guilty and couldn't enjoy it.

I haven't touched a drop this pregnancy.

Best to avoid alcohol altogether during pregnancy IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I haven't had a drop since I found out I was pregnant with my first. So that was 17 years ago.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was pregnant with DD, it was said that 'sometimes' was OK, so I think I had a west coast on christmas day. Non alc wine made me spew, so i stopped that quick smart! I will be the first to admit that I didn't question anything when pregnant with DD, I was very naieve.

With my next 2 pregnancies everything said there was NO safe level and that really made sense, so I drank nothing. Even if I had been going to drink, hyperemesis prevented me from feeling like one anyway.

In all honesty - once you actually think about it.....you know how alcohol makes you feel and you know the damage it does to your body - so why you would even consider doing it to your baby is just crazy. I know some people just don't think that far ahead though (like me with DD1 ) so I get (no offense, but esp with how some of the newer generations and some mums don't think ahead) how this is becoming such an issue. Please don't take offence to that - I was one of those mums who didn't think previously, it's not meant as an insult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had three glasses of wine during my pregnancy all different times(friends 21st, anniversary, one dinner) they were all small and during my last two trimesters. I didn't really enjoy them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a drop. I was 5 months pregnant at my own wedding and didn't even have a sip

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a sip of bourbon and coke with my first pregnancy and felt guilty and ever since I had both my kids I have never drank as much as I used to, suppose my body just can't handle it now!!!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Nope. Saved all the stress of 'how much is too much?' so I just gave it up altogether, which wasn't hard since I had nearly given it up during TTC anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I had the equivalent of about 2 glasses of wine throughout my last pregnancy. My first pregnancy I didn't drink at all.

Like others have said previous, I didn't enjoy them for the guilt.

Haven't had any this pg (only about 7-8 weeks) and probably wont either.

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had one half cidar & soda water at a good friends wedding....i enjoyed every mouthful of it too as we were living in Darwin & it was so bloody hot & after 25 weeks of morning sickness all i felt like was a cidar

That was my one & only....i think i was around 27 weeks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast