I have had a request from a parent to discuss my views on ABC as I managed one for 2 yrs. I will try and keep it as simple as possible but please feel free to PM about anyting I write. ( I'm not going to write which centre I was at also just for personal reasons)
I have worked in Child Care for about 8 yrs. ABC took over my centre and then things went down hill and chaos was caused. The amount of paperwork for my self had tripled which forced me to work 7am-6pm everyday. They would only pay me for 40hrs and all the over time would then convert to time in leui. Firstly there where no staff to cover me and the state manager wouldn't help out and I wasn't allowed to employ a casual staff because they cost too much. I mean think about the children not the money it costs (and the owner of ABC is a millionare!!!) If we were a staff member down which was quiet often because they hated comming to work I wasn't allowed to get anybody I had to cover the absent staff. Way too much pressure/stress on a manager.
The amount of paper work for the staff to fill out each day is astronomical and not needed. Supervision is very important in a large group of children and my staff had to fill in all the paperwork first then supervise the kids. Each staff meeting I held they would always complain about the paper work.
Things that happened when ABC took over(point form)-
- cleaners got taken away and staff had to maintain the cleaning requirements(no time at all to clean)
- the sanitry bin was taken away until we protested it back and WON!!!
- communication boards(white boards) where taken away
- toys were not being replaced
- maintanance was not kept up to date- my husband came in a few times and did stuff
- menu reduced- cost too much too feed the kids
- menu budget covered us for only two weeks and we only just survived the last two weeks
- I worked in the city and had a full centre all the time and they were willing to risk getting more kids in causing the ratio to be over which is illegal
- they send out forms if you are two weeks late with your fees
- written warnings were given for petty reasons- and I was forced to give them out
I was the first person who went on maternity leave in my state and was told I could take over the new centre being built on my street when bub was about 5mths- PERFECT I could walk to work. But no I had to travel back into town 49kms in peak hour with a new born. NO WAY!! So I waited till 2 weeks before my 12ths maternity leave was up and handed in my resignation.
Because they are such a large child care chain they treat their staff like they are just a number on the pay roll but even the state manager in each state has no idea who they employ and what their names are.
I would try and find a centre that is a small private centre or a community centre that they actually know their staff first names and treat them with respect and listen to their opions.
ABC staff have no say at all because most of them are scared to say anything other wise they will get a written warning.
Anyway sorry I have now let out most of my frustration, and please those of you that have children in an ABC centre and you have no problems that's great!!!!! I have just had a bad experience and I wanted to share it with you all so you can look out for the signs.