+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    another one who won't eat supermarket eggs - any brand really because even the free range ones tend to have other product lines that are cage... GROSS

Woolies and Coles (and their petrol stations)

Never knew about Gloria Jean but don't drink it either, same as Pancake Palour...

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i now only buy one particular deoderant because it doesn't contain aluminium.
    i don't use tins/cans for the same reason (aluminium is a POISON!)
    i buy freerange eggs if at all possible, i don't care about the extra cost.
    7/11- i don't trust their petrol. no good reason, i just don't.

about the KFC potato- KFC and S.izzler are owned by the same company, so the mash is probably the same. i wouldn't eat it either. i signed a contract not to slander my workplace all over the internet so that's all you're getting
    Last edited by Leeee; 12-06-2010 at 00:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only actively boycott Gloria Jeans

I attempt to buy local - harvey fresh/mundella dairy products rather than coles/woolies brands - more from an environmental POV

We have started to avoid preservatives and additives in our diet, so dont buy a lot of processed foods or take out anymore - but we do have slip ups

Off to check out the ethical guide!

Thanks
    Reviews
    interestingly Gloria Jeans gets a big tick on the ethics site!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^^

It think it might have something to do with the fact that Hillsong has very recently broken contact with Mercy Ministries, which was the group who operated under the guise of rehabilitating women and were subsequently accused of mistreating its members (by apparently performing exorcisms, pilfering their money, denying them access to psychological treatment, coercing them to make specific decision regarding their pregnancies and openly slamming same sex relationships).

I think this has to be my favourite quote (said with complete sarcasm):

We do have girls who have a history of lesbianism, and that’s definitely an issue that we deal with… We are cautious to make sure that we’re not putting them in an area where there’s going be more struggle or temptation because this is a girls’ home. In dealing with it in counselling, they have been able to walk in freedom from that.
    Gloria Jean's often denied having a 'special interest' in Mercy Ministries, however the co-founder of GJ's (Peter Irvine) was the chief executive of Mercy Ministries He also continually denied any mistreatment until an investigation was launched and the group was brought to its knees, at which point he retracted all statements.

Mercy Ministries aside, Hillsong continues to maintain a strong stance against abortions and same sex relationships and the ethical website even states that an association exists between the two...

"Owned and run by senior members of the Hillsong Church in Australia".
    I'm curious to know why they have even made that comment in the first place Although I do believe it has something to do with MM ceasing operations.

And it seems Gloria Jeans are in the spotlight again over a different issue. I love how the article refers to the company as "One of the most secretive companies in Australia". So very true.
    Last edited by Bellini; 12-06-2010 at 04:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    McDonald's, Hungry Jacks, KFC and the major pizza chains - mainly for making no attempt toward sustainable environmental practice in this country despite holding MAJOR market shares and enough power to really shift things (i.e. cage free eggs, free range meats etc). Not to mention they taste like poo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I boycott Rafferty's Garden Baby food and their products because they use 160b (annatto) in some of their products yet continue to state "The most important thing is that in the cooking process there is NOTHING ELSE added" yet they are adding this disgusting colour to babies food. It may be natural but hey, so is arsenic but you don't feed your baby that now do you!!
    said my piece

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We boycott Raferty's garden too, but that's because their 'vegetable' mixes are just heaps of apple with a tiny bit of vege, meaning babies are only eating a butt load of sugar instead of enjoying natural vegetable flavours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    not sure if this is really "boycotting" but i will never, ever buy a cat or dog from a pet store, like in a shop-ive seen many stores though which let the animals have a bigger play area and no roof and stuff
    theres plenty of great dogs and cats needing homes in the tradingpost, rspca or local produce that dont cost hundreds and hundreds and dont live in tiny little glass boxes.

Glamour shots in loganholme. ruined my pg shoot, and charged me 600 bucks for crap photos and abused me when i wrote to them saying i was not happy. DO NOT MESS WITH THE GRUMPY PREGGO LADY !!
    i told everyone i could. and ill keep telling.

im gonna be honest and say that many of the brands on here i dont boycott and no, i dont think about things like that when im shopping (but i am going to try and make a big effort to try now), because it would take a long time to go through everything in my cupboard and make sure there is a good alternative, i mean-if i dont get nestle choc, do i get cadbury? they are bad too right? so do i go for coles brand?? but then how do i know they are ethical iykwim??

it seems hard to try and do it all right- there should be a company that produces EVERYTHING in the right way.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Dragonborn  (12-10-2013),jennibear  (12-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, I will only buy free range eggs...I try to get them from people I know if possible. It's only because we used to have chooks ourselves and they are lovely little people.

I also wouldn't buy a pet from a pet shop or backyard breeder. My dogs are both from registered breeders, and my GPs are all rescues. If you can't afford to pay for a dog from a registered breeder, then there is no way you will be able to afford all the vaccinations, parasite treatments and vet bills.

As for actual boycotting... I haven't even considered Wolf Blass wine in more than 20 years and here is why. When I went to Malaysia for my best friend's wedding, I met a friend of hers who, although then a successful businessman, had started out as a tradie in Adelaide when he was young. He had done some work for Wolf Blass, who then refused to pay him with words like...."Make me! I can afford lawyers, can you?" In the end, this young man, with a young wife and baby, was paid in product...at retail value! Nasty!