+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like the way sports ppl are heralded as heroes when they technically just play a freaking game. I dislike the fact they are mostly overpaid.

I think its ridiculous that everyone is all distressed that oz won less medals in London. There was an inquiry?!? Seriously?!

I also believe that oz spends to much money on AIS.

Yes WYD used a sporting venue but they didn't need/demand a new one. An old one was fine.

Can I ask why I'm being questioned on my boycott choices but others aren't?

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I don't like the way sports ppl are heralded as heroes when they technically just play a freaking game. I dislike the fact they are mostly overpaid.

I think its ridiculous that everyone is all distressed that oz won less medals in London. There was an inquiry?!? Seriously?!

Yes WYD used a sporting venue but they didn't need/demand a new one. An old one was fine.

I guess I am curious about your boycott choice because sports have some very real knock on benefits to the economy.

Re the inquiry into the medal tally at the london olympics - this would be because public money is put into training athletes who give us a profile as a sporting nation, to make us competitive on the world stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I guess I am curious about your boycott choice because sports have some very real knock on benefits to the economy.

Re the inquiry into the medal tally at the london olympics - this would be because public money is put into training athletes who give us a profile as a sporting nation, to make us competitive on the world stage.
    But other ppl choices to boycott RSPCA or KFC does not get questioned.

Its very bizarre.

But I also object to any public money going to sporting events. Kids playing soccer after school no probs. Can't see the point of metro or district or regional comps. Refuse to support them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But other ppl choices to boycott RSPCA or KFC does not get questioned.

Its very bizarre.

But I also object to any public money going to sporting events. Kids playing soccer after school no probs. Can't see the point of metro or district or regional comps. Refuse to support them.

Because there are clear, unethical and cruel practices associated with KFC and the RSPCA.

The Olympics is something a country voluntarily bids for, knowing the cost and the potential profits too. People wanting to compete in sport at high level- I get where you're coming from with public funding, to an extent... But at the same time I can see the benefits too. *shrug* I don't have an issue with you boycotting these things, just found it interesting and wondered why. Boycott away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Personally I didn't care about the medal tally. I also thought it was ridiculous the way the media carried on.

The government had to fork out a lot of compensation to the racing industry for the disruption because of world youth day.

I think people were genuinely curious about your reasons for boycotting the Olympics etc. as it isn't as obvious as other boycotts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is intresting to see what people boycott.

For me the one recently is RSPCA as I am in SA and just the lack of support to no kill shelters and the fact they are a power on to themselves as they currently do not have any external or government department that people can question or dispute.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to second baby not so easy For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by second baby not so easy View Post
    It is intresting to see what people boycott.

For me the one recently is RSPCA as I am in SA and just the lack of support to no kill shelters and the fact they are a power on to themselves as they currently do not have any external or government department that people can question or dispute.
    Here here!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (28-06-2013),second baby not so easy  (11-06-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Any company that includes GMO's in their products

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

JungleMum  (18-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apple - because I don't want to get locked into their overpriced 'ecosystem' of products and media.

KFC - admittedly I'd only go there about once a year anyway, usually because friends were going, but I refuse to eat there anymore. Not because of animal treatment issues (though I've learnt about those now) but because they played a series of horrible ads with those annoying brothers from Good Charlotte through every cricket match. What do American popstars and lawn bowls have to do with cricket? I don't know, but I found it very, very irritating.
    Last edited by wallyprobablylost; 12-06-2013 at 08:29.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wallyprobablylost For This Useful Post:

Bonezart  (29-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    I dont buy toys from BIG W since they segregate their toy aisles into boys toys and girls toys, and my favourite toy, LEGO, was in the boys toys aisle and scanned at the register as a boys toy when I was 7 years old. 30 years later nothing has changed. I do realise this is a pretty pointless boycott since we end up having to buy a fair bit of hardware from bunnings due to not being able to get the same items elsewhere and they are owned by the same company.
    Just so you know this is incorrect. Bunnings is owned by Westfarmers who also own the kmart and target companies.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app