+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    WOW, some interesting things in there that I didnt know. I thought the comments that Mem Fox made were disgusting, and I was sooo shocked by that. I was a child carer at the time and took all her books out of my room in protest... and now I am a mother I am doubly offended....

Why do people boycott bp?? is it because of the oil leak?!

I am going to now consciously avoid gloria jeans and nestle... I already didnt buy bonds and the likes and I always try and buy local tassie stuff for food, lotions, cleaning stuff, etc....

Keep em coming, this is very interesting!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cotton On .. I find some of their slogans on baby/kids shirts just wrong as a consequence I dont buy anything from them

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrankyAndTired For This Useful Post:

InWatermelonSugar  (02-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    oh yes I don't know how I forgot to add companies which supply cage eggs! I have never bought cage eggs in my life and I don't eat eggs out unless it's a place which can prove to me that they don't use them

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are some companies I try to stay away from such as Nestle because I dislike everything about them but it is hard when they have other brands everywhere. I don't boycott bonds because that puts in jeopardy the many jobs that are still here in Australia and I love Mem Fox more that ever. Her comments were as usual totally sensationalised by the media if you want to hear the full story click here. As someone who works in a high quality childcare centre I can't wait for 1:3 to become law, they will be reducing it to 1:4 and we have 1:3.5. What she said is true, we will look back (and believe me, already do) and say what were we thinking, one staff member to care for 5 babies, how is that quality.

As for Gloria Jeans, agreed, crap coffee.
    Last edited by Hootenanny; 11-06-2010 at 18:40. Reason: eta - and agreed on the eggs, free range all the way

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

IttiBittiBubbas  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    There are some companies I try to stay away from such as Nestle because I dislike everything about them but it is hard when they have other brands everywhere. I don't boycott bonds because that puts in jeopardy the many jobs that are still here in Australia and I love Mem Fox more that ever. Her comments were as usual totally sensationalised by the media if you want to hear the full story click here. As someone who works in a high quality childcare centre I can't wait for 1:3 to become law, they will be reducing it to 1:4 and we have 1:3.5. What she said is true, we will look back (and believe me, already do) and say what were we thinking, one staff member to care for 5 babies, how is that quality.

As for Gloria Jeans, agreed, crap coffee.
    New laws will be great hey!!! I already worked in a centre with better than expected ratios so i was very lucky!!

I agree it was very sensationalised by the media!!!

How do you all find out about these companies?!?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No other Shell boycotters? Hmph. Very suprised there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ^^ I read - a lot. However, I learnt about cage eggs way back in highschool when I had to do an assignment on the unethical treatment of animals. Plus my Dad regularly rescues cage chickens... I have seen them in the flesh and it is revoltingly sad. And I was told about gloria jeans from a uni friend who used to work there (it prompted me to look into it more thoroughly afterwards)
    Last edited by Bellini; 11-06-2010 at 19:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
    I read - a lot. However, I learnt about cage eggs way back in highschool when I had to do an assignment on the unethical treatment of animals. Plus my Dad regularly rescues cage chickens... I have seen them in the flesh and it is revoltingly sad. And I was told about gloria jeans from a uni friend who used to work there (it prompted me to look into it more thoroughly afterwards)
    I suppose if you just see or hear one thing you can do your research into the company and find out a bit more. not much of these types of things are in the media!!

Although in tas recently there has been a bit more due to the pig stalls being outlawed... so there has been a bit more on the news about unethical animals treatment.... but not so much the other big companies!!

Florence - shell?!?!?! how come, im clueless!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MelandBen View Post
    I don't really boycott anyone in particular, but I make sure that I buy things Australian made, and if the company stops being made in Australia, I stop buying the product.
    Yep, Australian made is important to us.

But no more Bonds or King Gee.

We always support Nestle though because they support us.... Hubby (and thousands of Aussies) works there and they sponsor heaps of junior sport and community projects.

Bron is offline Accentuate the positive
    WINNER 2006 Most Politically Correct Member
    Winner 2007 & 2008 Funniest member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Shell, Nestle, Coca Cola, Proctor and Gamble, any eggs or chickens that aren't free range. I've even discovered a source of free range bacon, so we're buying that now too.

And if you're curious about some of your favourite products, check this out. http://www.ethical.org.au/

Using that guide we switched toilet paper brand, tinned tomato brand and a few other brands. It was really easy to do.