+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: What companies do you boycott and why??

I only buy free range eggs

Bing Lee- they allow workplace bullying, don't follow the break time rules, they're sneaky with their marketing by making customers believe they got a deal when really they advertisr the rrp price which is sometimes triple what any other store sells the item for, then they give you a 'discount'.

Any individual store that gives bad service or if I see the manager speaking bad to staff. I always tell the manager why I will not be back there either.

I try to avoid Gloria Jean's, but sometimes I forget.

As for supermarket products, I find it too hard to avoid some that I'd like to. Brands such as Nestle seem to own everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont buy toys from BIG W since they segregate their toy aisles into boys toys and girls toys, and my favourite toy, LEGO, was in the boys toys aisle and scanned at the register as a boys toy when I was 7 years old. 30 years later nothing has changed. I do realise this is a pretty pointless boycott since we end up having to buy a fair bit of hardware from bunnings due to not being able to get the same items elsewhere and they are owned by the same company.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Graco. While pregnant I read an article that was well referenced and it put me off them forever. I tried to find it to share, but no luck. You can find points online in other stories, anyway.
    The main bit:
    Graco made a crib that their own engineers said was unsafe. But they still put it on the market, and babies died. If you start looking around, Graco have a LOT of products which get recalled... normally after babies have died, or been seriously injured. That's not good enough for me. Other brands with children voluntary recall products when there is the merest SUGGESTION it's unsafe, ie, a parent reports a one off freak incidence. I think it's disgusting that Graco waits under several babies have died...

DP and I try to buy Australian products. We also don't buy reconstituted juices.

I buy Safcol or Greenseas tuna. I don't often see the fish 4 ever brand. I based my decision off Greenpeace telling me which one is the least harmful to the environment
    http://www.greenpeace.org/australia/...ed-tuna-guide/

Since reading these posts from rage against the minivan I try to only buy fair trade chocolate.
    http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com...bout-your.html
    http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com...n-for-you.html
    http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com...practical.html
    (I love rage against the minivan. She gets me thinking SO DAMN HARD about things I take for granted.)

I try to avoid products that are tested on animals. And I only buy free range eggs- I try to shop at the farmer's market as much as I can, but it's an hour away... I can't wait to buy our own house so we can get some chickens! I'm totally going to make the effort now to stick with the farmer's market for eggs!

DP and I are planning to buy more from smaller butchers. It's hard to change the habits of a life time, but I think DP and I are getting there, slowly. One beef patty at a time....

... and I'm trying to eat less meat.

I try to avoid plastic toys, and wooden toys without any sort of eco certification. Plastic and made in china= my Christmas nightmare. I don't like plastics because of BPA, you don't really know what's in the materials, and they don't age well- they look worn, so get thrown out, whereas wooden toys age really well. Plastic doesn't break down, wood does. Plastic toys also tend to run on batteries, which are an environmental nightmare. Wooden toys also encourage more creative play, thus having a longer play life with children. You can also get wooden toys with certified safe wood, or just polished with bees wax

I avoid toys that I feel are telling my daughter how she should act as a girl- looking at you, Lego Friends- or overly sexualised dolls. So no Bratz, no Monster High, no Barbie, etc. No guns. I could explain why, but this blog post does it so much better than me:
    http://blog.pigtailpals.com/2012/02/...l-im-seething/
    http://www.pigtailpals.com/whdoregime.html

“I’m not anti-pink. I’m not anti-princess. I am anti-limitation. When we limit our children, we limit our children."
    Spot on, sister. Like PP, I get sick of how there's a "girls" aisle and a "boys" aisle.

I avoid things with Eddie Murphy in it, because lately, his movies are lousy, plus I'm still grumpy over something he said about Mel B when she was pregnant with his child. It was just really disrespectful... and he was proven wrong! Although, I still watch Mulan, mostly because I don't have to see his face.... and it's a great story. Chris Brown, because he bashed the crap out of Rihanna. Roman Polanski. Mel Gibson. Charlie Sheen. I try to avoid movies that are sexist, or unfair on the other gender, or violent. I don't mind Jackie Chan style violence... but gore and horror... no way.

I try to go Coles over Woolies (if I have to choose) because Coles pays their staff more. A little but more, but still.

Johnsons and Johnsons- too many chemicals. That goes for a lot of children's products. Slowly phasing it out for myself and DP.

The only app I've ever paid for is the Chemical Maze. I use it to help me avoid all the nasty things in make up and food.

I won't buy playboy branded products. Or Elle McPhersans, because they showed a skinny 14 year old in a nursing bra, and I felt that was stupid. Sticking with Hot Milk, thank you very much

I don't drink cola or any drink with caffine. Mostly because they're bad for me

I boycott Telstra, but DP decided to use them for our internet... he quickly discovered why I boycot them

I didn't know what a pp said about the founder of americal apperal... but I don't like how you can see the models nips when they model clothes. I also noticed there is a HUGE difference between American prices, and Aus prices... the same top in Aus is $12 more than in the US! a $4 belt was $8. Etc. When I emailed asking them to explain, they basically admitted it's because they CAN charge those prices... but also tried to blame it on GST. If the top was $21.88AUD in the us, but $36 in Australia, that's a bit more than 10% GST mark up...

I avoid most big jewellery shops. I prefer to buy locally made jewellery, or off etsy, especially if the stones are conflict free.

Kmart, unless I want stuff to break. I've moved 7 times in four years. Every time, I end up buy the stuff new from Kmart cos it doesn't last... but it's cheap

A motel in Swansea- they wouldn't let me and DP have a room because they don't let wedding guests, or anyone under 25, book their rooms. Guess what? I'm 23, and we were going there for a wedding in a few days... I hated the lady's attitude to me.

Ribena, because of the whole vitamin C thing.

Urgh. I've read everything. This is a great thread. But I'm exhausted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I boycott information on bubhub regarding boycotts... Just coz I don't think everyone info is accurate ...

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

babycake  (27-12-2012),Bonezart  (29-06-2014),butterfly2013  (27-12-2012),mel04  (27-12-2012),munchkin275  (11-07-2014),oozzle  (25-05-2013),Pawzette  (27-12-2012),Purple Lily  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What companies do you boycott and why??

Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    I dont buy toys from BIG W since they segregate their toy aisles into boys toys and girls toys, and my favourite toy, LEGO, was in the boys toys aisle and scanned at the register as a boys toy when I was 7 years old. 30 years later nothing has changed. I do realise this is a pretty pointless boycott since we end up having to buy a fair bit of hardware from bunnings due to not being able to get the same items elsewhere and they are owned by the same company.
    Bunnings is Coles bigw is Woolworths

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What companies do you boycott and why??

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Bunnings is Coles bigw is Woolworths
    Well, if we're going to get technical Bunnings and Coles are both West farmers companies... Bunnings is not owned by coles iykwim ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews

We don't really boycott anywhere except stores that sell clothes that don't fit me lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sigma Herron Pharmaceuticals. Used to be entirely Australian owned and operated until about 5 years ago when the American company Sigma bought Herron, and after a couple years closed down a factory or two to send jobs overseas. Now we buy home brand drugs instead of supporting the company my mother used to work for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Well, if we're going to get technical Bunnings and Coles are both West farmers companies... Bunnings is not owned by coles iykwim ;-)
    To get even more technical, It's Wesfarmers..lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    I boycott information on bubhub regarding boycotts... Just coz I don't think everyone info is accurate ...
    Really? I find it prompts me to do further research for myself.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-01-2013),Lauzy83  (25-05-2013),Missbean  (28-12-2012)