+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by second baby not so easy View Post
    I have actually read this whole tread 21pages

Regarding woolies and coles, I was shopping at Foodland, IGA etc and it was sooo expensive, gone back to woolies and it is heaps cheaper. ( I dont buy any of the store's brand stuff though)
    Yes I read it all too, very interesting even if you dont agree with everyone.
    I had the same experience with IGA and I personally believe our local IGA deliberately put misleading dockets up so that people end up buying a more expensive item, eg. 50 gram eggs $200, but there are NO 50 gram eggs, only 60 gram ones which are expensive. Nobody would think to check as its under the 60 gram eggs and you only find out at the checkout. Its happened many times so I dont believe its an accident!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

Rach45  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't eat KFC. I used to love it years ago but I watched a documentary about how they farm their chickens and I was disgusted

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My BIL recently got a job at a chook farm. The same company has battery and 'free range' and the free range are just that, they are in a barn until say 10am until they have layed, then they are out in the paddock until bedtime.

However. The company buys all of its chicks in, so I have no idea what their life is like before they arrive at the egg company on the truck (20,000) at a time, and then they are kept in a shed in huge cages all crammed together until they are laying age (5 months??) and only THEN are they put into the freerange barn, and even then their life is literally cut short at some arbitrary age when their laying goes 'off peak' and the whole shedfull is slaughtered, and the next lot who have been caged until laying age are introduced into the barn.

So. Up until now I've been a free range egg buyer, now I specifically get them from backyard hen keepers until I have my very own hens.

The whole 'free range' thing is 'feelgood' marketing, and not a lot more really, and this particular company I am referencing make most of their money from battery
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 13-12-2011 at 14:43.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (19-03-2012),BornToBe  (13-12-2011),jessesgirl  (22-03-2012),Missbean  (27-12-2012),Rach45  (05-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    My BIL recently got a job at a chook farm. The same company has battery and 'free range' and the free range are just that, they are in a barn until say 10am until they have layed, then they are out in the paddock until bedtime.

However. The company buys all of its chicks in, so I have no idea what their life is like before they arrive at the egg company on the truck (20,000) at a time, and then they are kept in a shed in huge cages all crammed together until they are laying age (5 months??) and only THEN are they put into the freerange barn, and even then their life is literally cut short at some arbitrary age when their laying goes 'off peak' and the whole shedfull is slaughtered, and the next lot who have been caged until laying age are introduced into the barn.

So. Up until now I've been a free range egg buyer, now I specifically get them from backyard hen keepers until I have my very own hens.

The whole 'free range' thing is 'feelgood' marketing, and not a lot more really, and this particular company I am referencing make most of their money from battery
    Great post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    cadbury has cleaned up their act alot re palm oil and is now i believe selling fair trade chocolate!! they are a safe option for those who like chocolate... also who mentioned a coles/ woolies boycott?? i want to have an ethical household but man this could get REALLY hard :S hope that garden starts producing soon....

SIDE note... about to have ALOT of eggs in the adelaide area from happy pet chooks... let me know if interested they are garden chooks and indoor caged at night (warmth)
    Re Cadbury.... read Bitter Chocolate... They have a terrible history in the slave trade, I won't buy their products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do most of my shopping through Aussie Farmers direct, only buy their free range eggs, only buy lilydale chicken, no loreal, only recycled toilet paper, no nestle, only fair trade coffee and tea, no pork if not free range, no Gloria Jeans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I do most of my shopping through Aussie Farmers direct, only buy their free range eggs, only buy lilydale chicken, no loreal, only recycled toilet paper, no nestle, only fair trade coffee and tea, no pork if not free range, no Gloria Jeans.
    I thought lilydale was one of the biggest producers of factory farmed chicken in Australia? It's in the bad list for green peace and shop ethical ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I thought lilydale was one of the biggest producers of factory farmed chicken in Australia? It's in the bad list for green peace and shop ethical ?
    They are accredited free range.

ETA- bugger. Owned by baida. You're right!
    Last edited by Atropos; 17-12-2011 at 20:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    CSR - due to the whole Wittenoom disaster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know if its a boycott as I would never eat Macca's anyway, but I get offended by the Aussie Kids magazine they give away in their 'restaurants'. Its articles are written by people with right wing christian leanings, which isnt my problem so much (although they mentioned the scourge of unmarried parents) but the sexism in some of the articles. Supposedly we should praise our boys for their achievements on the sporting field and our girls for their pretty clothes