+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well if you are going to boycott anything with palm oil, then you might as well boycott mobile phones as mobile phone production require a mineral called coltan that is mined in an area where orangutans live. It is becoming a huge problem. You can help by recycling your old mobile.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 27-06-2010 at 20:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    im not boycotting nestle I do enjoy a lot of their products esp milo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but there is a GREAT iPhone widget called 'Shop Ethical' that is very, very thorough and Australian-based.

I used to boycott Nestle, Dominoes pizza and Woolworths but there's a lot more on my list now thanks to that application!

I also only buy free range and avoid pet stores like the plague - for anything, not just animals. Wouldn't even buy a leash from a shop that sells animals.

We've always boycotted Shell and now BP are on the list too.

And Cotton On Kids for reasons previously mentioned but also because they scream 'sweatshop' to me. Although so many clothes are produced in sweatshops now - we are really, really trying to limit the clothes we buy and are doing our best to buy clothes ethically.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    And I used to boycott Gloria Jeans simply because their coffee is utter sh!te but now I have an even better reason!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesby05 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but there is a GREAT iPhone widget called 'Shop Ethical' that is very, very thorough and Australian-based.
    is it just a list? that you can like type company names into?

dammit now i really want an iphone (but of course, that would fall under 'unnecessary phone purchase' which is bad for the environment ).

is it horribly long? or something people could share?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's very comprehensive and long, yes! Sorry ...

You type in the brand name, and it comes up with that company and its ethical profile, and also the same for its parent company.

There is a quick-view legend on the side - either a bold green tick, a light green tick, an orange neutral, a red cross or a boycott symbol.

Then when you click on the company name it lists a whole bunch of points with regard to ethical profile. It outlines the bad and the good, so you can make an informed decision, with links to the sites from which the information has been gathered.

It's got hundreds of products in there.

I use MCNs and so I put 'Huggies' in to see what came up. I was very surprised that their manufacturer, Kimberley Clarke, got a light green tick. They have made some interesting environmental commitments.

It's a terrific app, it really is.

Bron is offline Accentuate the positive
    WINNER 2006 Most Politically Correct Member
    Winner 2007 & 2008 Funniest member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesby05 View Post
    It's very comprehensive and long, yes! Sorry ...

You type in the brand name, and it comes up with that company and its ethical profile, and also the same for its parent company.

There is a quick-view legend on the side - either a bold green tick, a light green tick, an orange neutral, a red cross or a boycott symbol.

Then when you click on the company name it lists a whole bunch of points with regard to ethical profile. It outlines the bad and the good, so you can make an informed decision, with links to the sites from which the information has been gathered.

It's got hundreds of products in there.

I use MCNs and so I put 'Huggies' in to see what came up. I was very surprised that their manufacturer, Kimberley Clarke, got a light green tick. They have made some interesting environmental commitments.

It's a terrific app, it really is.
    Sounds like it is exactly the same as the ethical shopping guide which you can buy for $5 and carry around in your handbag! Cheaper than a new phone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely!

However, if you already have an iPhone the app is well worth it, if it's something you're interested in, of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great thread! Well I too have probably got a list up to the moon and back. Basically we buy local organic where possible, fresh fruit and veg, etc. We don't buy much packaged stuff, only really spices, grains & pastas and they are generally locally grown and produced as well. We buy our petrol from the independantly owned people like Matilda, I guess and area that we would need to look at would be clothing though, not that we buy a lot.

I have learnt some interesting things from this thread - Gloria Jeans, who would have thought?! I am hanging out for the day when we can sell our house and move to the "country" and grow the majority of our own produce! Hurry up already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I won't buy any Mem Fox books as a while ago she made a statement along the lines of working parents who send their babies/toddlers to childcare are abusing them. As a working parent she is more than welcome to come and pay my mortgage so that I can stay at home with DS. Also, I find this incredibly insulting to childcare workers.
    That's shocking considering a large number of people who purchase her books are working mums with children in day care - some people!!