+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    also thanks for the wood links... ill look into it now lols its time to cull off my toy collection anyway...any places you would suggest for wooden toys that meet requirements? would be much appreciated! thanks xo
    My all time favourite is Ecotoys Almost all of DS's toys come from there.

Some other good ones are Treefrog Toys, Honeybees (recommended to me by the lovely Babymaker), and Flying penguin.

I consider myself lucky because my father is a carpenter by trade, and he only uses recycled timber to make his products. He is making DS a beautiful recycled timber toybox for his first birthday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
    My all time favourite is Ecotoys Almost all of DS's toys come from there.

Some other good ones are Treefrog Toys, Honeybees (recommended to me by the lovely Babymaker), and Flying penguin.

I consider myself lucky because my father is a carpenter by trade, and he only uses recycled timber to make his products. He is making DS a beautiful recycled timber toybox for his first birthday
    My DH loves crafting things from wood too!!! SOOOO SUPER LUCKY!!!

He is currently working on some blocks and a dolls house....

been checking out the links too guys, thanks for those!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chicken and eggs mum For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    RE: Nestle boycotters.
    There's so much incorrect and misleading information on the net and obviously big business is an easy target but here's the correct info.

Charter

Nestlé Infant Formula Policy in Developing Countries
    (1)
    DOES comply with both the letter and the spirit of the World Health Organisation's International Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes as well as with national regulations giving effect to the WHO Code when these are stricter

DOES support WHO's global public health recommendation calling for exclusive breastfeeding for six months and introduction of safe and appropriate complementary foods thereafter

DOES encourage continued breast-feeding up to two years or beyond after introduction, after six months of age, of safe and appropriate complementary foods

DOES warn mothers of the consequences of incorrect or inappropriate use of infant formula (2)

DOES believe that there is a legitimate market of infant formula (3) when a safe alternative to breast milk is needed

DOES believe that parents have the right to choose how their babies are to be fed on the basis of adequate and objective information

DOES support efforts by governments to implement the International Code through legislation, regulation, or other appropriate measures

DOES NOT advertise or promote infant formula to the public

DOES NOT permit staff whose responsibilities include the marketing of infant formula to make direct contact with mothers, except in response to consumer complaints

DOES NOT use pictures of babies on its infant formula packs

DOES NOT distribute free infant formula samples to mothers

DOES NOT allow educational material relating to the use of infant formula to be displayed publicly in hospitals and clinics

DOES NOT give financial or material incentives to health professionals for the purpose of promoting infant formula

DOES NOT donate free infant formula to health care facilities for use by healthy new born babies. Free infant formula may exceptionally be given to bona fide social welfare institutions upon their request to serve social or humanitarian purposes (e.g. where the government policy allows manufacturers to respond to a specific social request, for example if the mother dies in child birth)

DOES NOT give incentives to its staff based on infant formula sales

WILL take disciplinary measures against any Nestlé personnel who deliberately violates the policy
    Nestlé invites government officials, health professionals, and consumers, to draw to its attention any Nestlé infant formula marketing practices in developing countries which they consider are not in conformity with the above commitment.
    (1) All countries in Eastern Europe that are not members of the European Union, and all countries or territories of Africa, Middle East, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean nations and the Pacific Nations except Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong-Kong.
    (2) See overleaf, information printed on all Nestlé infant formula labels, educational materials intended for mothers, and on documentation for health professionals.
    (3) Breast-milk substitutes manufactured in accordance with strict international quality standards to be suitable as the sole source of nutrition for a baby during the first 6 months of life, and all follow-on formula that do not have brand/label design distinctly different from infant formula (the International Code does not apply to Weaning Foods, see Code Articles 2, 10.2 and Annex 3).
    PA/TLVM/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Regarding TinkaBella's post, Nestle does mnay of these things in Australia, so I am sceptical when I hear them not doing them in developing countries. sorry. my boycott still stands and will continue to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only buy fairtrade chocolate, free range eggs, as many Australian made groceries as we can afford.

I avoid BP

And now it seems i will not be going to Gloria jeans.

This has been really eye opening... I'm going to be more product aware.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Regarding TinkaBella's post, Nestle does mnay of these things in Australia, so I am sceptical when I hear them not doing them in developing countries. sorry. my boycott still stands and will continue to do so.
    nestle can post whatever they want about what they are supposedly 'doing right'

i have seen with my own eyes, what they are doing in a developed country where people ARE conscious of the laws, so no, i do not believe that them stating they are being legal/ethical overseas is true

if other organisations i trusted (such as who, unicef, etc) that were not affiliated with nestle at all, were to make statements saying that nestle was complying with the laws in developing countries i may change my stance, but not based on nestles word

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I boycott Nestle and anything to do with them (eg. body shop, owned by Loreal who is owned by Nestle...so I don't buy Loreal or Body shop either)

I avoid palm oil where possible (I do have to buy some products though because there is no alternative)

I do not buy caged eggs...actually I get my eggs from a friend now so I don't even buy eggs at the grocery shop.

I buy organic chicken.

Apart from chicken I don't buy meat or vegies from the grocery shop.

I now boycoot BP.

I boycott a local sandwich shop after they basically refused to make allergy safe sandwiches for my girls and were extremely rude about it.

I will now be avoiding GJ.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I need to read up on Nestle because I too thought the allegations were incorrect. Those of you who boycott Nestle, have you done much research on it or are you believing what you hear through the grapevine?

I boycott Pets Paradise - it sickens me when I see those poor animals in the windows at the shopping malls.

I would never go to Gloria Jeans or Starbucks because I'm an inner city Melbournian and we have hundreds of great cafes here! Don't need no chain store for my coffee.

I tried to boycott all the chocolate brands that don't use fair trade cocoa but I've lost track of who's good and need to re-aquaint myself with all that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummm nothing....
    If someone has or makes what I like I buy it.... I really dont give two rats the storys behind them :P

As for gloaria jeans my dad has gone therse 4 times a week for the past 4 years lol. Not to mention there drinks are yummy as :P

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aliasmel For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (27-12-2012),LoveyDovey  (12-05-2012),sneakyone  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I need to read up on Nestle because I too thought the allegations were incorrect. Those of you who boycott Nestle, have you done much research on it or are you believing what you hear through the grapevine?
    A little of both. i do as much research as i can, but i'd rather listen to heresay and boycott them, than potentially be giving profit to a company that are *that* unethical in my eyes.

but just things like, going to germany and seeing the baby food by nestle is for 4months+ - which goes against the law

so yes, sometimes its 'rumour' (although often with picture evidence), or someone else has done the hardyards for me to work out which companies are owned by nestle.

i don't think its important that we do the research though i think its important that we email nestle and tell them *why* we are personally boycotting them. (jmo).