+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellini View Post
    Well in relation to plastic toys, yes, apart from them looking tacky and gross, plastic toys can contain harmful chemicals which can leech out from the toy (PVC (phthalates) is one of the worst offenders). Plastic toys are also terrible for the environment - wooden toys are far more durable and therefore last longer. Plastic toys often end up in landfill when they get broken, and do not break down properly. And they are made in factories overseas which often exploit people who are living in poverty.
    What about all the trees chopped down to make wooden toys? What about the paint and varnish on the wooden toys? Isn't that harmful?
    Last edited by embryonichappyperson; 14-06-2010 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixnay View Post
    What about all the trees chopped down to make wooden toys? What about the paint and varnish on the wooden toys? Isn't that harmful?
    I mostly use recycled wooden toys DS's rattle is made from pieces of wood which has been sourced from ******s and yards. Other toys are made using FSC certified materials (use of such timber meets environmental criteria). Here is the Greenpeace Good Wood guide which can be used when purchasing toys or other timber products.

Good Wood is timber grown in plantations or harvested from 'well managed' forests or recycled, reused or salvaged wood. Good wood enables consumers to continue using wood products without causing forest destruction.
    Few of our toys have paint on them, but the ones that do are made with certified non toxic paints.
    Last edited by Bellini; 16-07-2010 at 12:54. Reason: spelling

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellini For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i can't stand cheap plastic toys. 2 weeks after they leave the store they are broken and headed to landfill.

My DS has good quality, long lasting toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissSookyLaLa View Post
    i can't stand cheap plastic toys. 2 weeks after they leave the store they are broken and headed to landfill.

My DS has good quality, long lasting toys.
    That's funny, DS2 has a whole basket full of plastic toys that belonged to DS1 that I bought 7 nearly 8 years ago and none have ever fallen apart even after being bashed on lots of surfaces lol. Some still work if I stick a batteries in. He got a whole pile of musical toys for his 1st bday and I removed the batteries out of some of the toys I bought years ago as the noises were driving me batty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I boycott gloria geans, not only is there coffee bitter and disgusting, so is the fact that they run a "charity church" in the states that helps "cure homosexuality"
    disgusting
    gloria geans: "bitter coffee for bitter people" lmao

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shh View Post
    Bras and things. Because when I was 16 I was an 8DD and they made me try on a "granny" bra which was too big around the back, pushed my boobs under my arms and had massive thick straps. I hated it and they told me "if you didn't wear such slutty clothes the thick straps wouldn't matter". I was with my mum, and had just run into a friend of hers in the next changeroom. I was so upset and we have never forgotten it. That was 13 years ago.
    My mum had an experience with one as well. They were willing to fit my sister a bra, but not my mother, because they claimed it wouldn't fit her size. (my mum is over weight) But my sister is bigger. She didn't question it, but they didn't explain why either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wont buy the large block of cadbury chocolate anymore. When they changed it to a cardboard packet they made most of them 50g lighter without making them cheaper. I think thats rude!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    No they haven't. They just marketed it so it looked like they did.
    NOt cool... i had heard this from friends as personally i dont buy or eat chocolate rare occasions that i do OXFAM has a store in the city

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have a LONG list of products i wont buy now... (growing as nestle expands it seems) though i have found that alot of the gluten free products are also dairy and egg free so once i check out company (though i think its aus owned) im set lols... we are working on veggie patch and herb garden to help yay for self sustaining homes... also thanks for the wood links... ill look into it now lols its time to cull off my toy collection anyway...any places you would suggest for wooden toys that meet requirements? would be much appreciated! thanks xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ixnay View Post
    That's funny, DS2 has a whole basket full of plastic toys that belonged to DS1 that I bought 7 nearly 8 years ago and none have ever fallen apart even after being bashed on lots of surfaces lol. Some still work if I stick a batteries in. He got a whole pile of musical toys for his 1st bday and I removed the batteries out of some of the toys I bought years ago as the noises were driving me batty.
    My DS does have plastic toys- they are just good quality ones, which I am assuming is what yours are as well