We met with our FS yesterday to discuss our future cycle options following a recent diagnosis of a blighted ovum.
One of the options now on the table is PGD. Our story thus far, we seem to have no trouble consistently getting blastocycts that 'look great' but unfortunately result in BFN's or m/c (chem pg, blighted ovum). We have now had a total of 7 embryo's transferred which FS believes have all been 'abnormal' in some way, i.e either sperm or egg problems. On the other hand he is also of the opinion we may have just been 'unlucky' this time and things could be different with a future pregnancy.
This is the info we have:
Our FS did say he does not routinely suggest PGD for those in our situation and without a known genetic issue as 1. it is extremely expensive ($4K on top of IVF cycle with IVFA) and 2. currently the evidence doesn't show that it results in any more successful pregnancy rates than persevering with IVF.
However, it does give more genetic information about what is going on and may help scientists to pick embryos to transfer with more accuracy than the current 'well they look good lets transfer them' approach.
DH and I have decided that we will at least meet with the PGD team to consider our options and the pros and cons of going through this.
We are really interested in whether others have faced this decision and either decided for or against this.
If you did go ahead, what was the experience like, and did you think it was worth the extra cost?
Thanks a million!