+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Installing ducted airconditioning

Has anyone had ducted airconditioning/heating installed into their home? If so, how much did it cost you and what was the size of your house?

I am looking at buying a bigger house (3 bedroom, 99 square meters). but it has no airconditioning at all I NEED aircondtioning It's the first thing i would need to have done before i moved in. Im expecting it would be quite $$, but i am planning on saving some money from the sale of the unit to pay for some basic renos, painting, built in wardrobes etc...

Hope you can help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We have a 4 bed 2 bath house, we got ducted aircon last year and it cost us $12,500. We got it cheaper cause we paid cash, it's normally around the $14,000 mark. If i could do it again, i would not get it. The increase to our power bill was 2.5 times more expensive than normal running it, so we cannot afford to pay the electricity bill, so now we have no savings and spent money on something that we really didn't need. It was great to use it, till after i got the bill! The guy selling it to us said our bill shouldn't be much dearer, yeah right, it was usually under $250 - $280 per quarter and jumped to well over $500!! So yeah, it's a heck of a lot of money to run and install!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    wow, that is incredibly expensive. I knew it would be thousands but eeek

Probably a stupid question, but if you have it installed in all bedrooms, can you "shut off" individual room ducts to reduce the power consumption?

Thanks VB

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Yeah you can zone it, but they recommend you have at least 3 vents on at the same time, so effectively half your house. It's truly not worth the expense, as i said, we don't even use it, it may have added value to our home, but only if we wanted to sell it, which we don't. Much better things we could have spent that money on that's for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 4 bedroom house, and we got ducted reverse cycle put in not long ago. We got 9 ducts with 6 zones. It cost us $10,000. Best thing we ever did
    We use it more in winter than we did summer, our house is mainly tiled and high ceilings so is a lot cooler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Are you using it correctly Vee ???

My mum has ducted air-con & it was installed we the family home was renovated back in '98 - '99. Before that we just had those standard box air-con's that went into the wall or window in the lounge that barely ran well & could only cool the lounge/dining area.

Before the bills were still fairly substantial because we were running an ineffective unit iykwim ... Running air-con will always be expensive but if running the wrong type for the home then it's always going to be expensive. Ducted is more effecient if used wisely but it still is pricey to not running any air-con at all. So that shock will always hurt.

In our house I have a small 3br townhouse that is open so it means the split system reverse cycle was churning through huge amounts of power as it was trying to heat/ cool too big an area. It could only heat/ cool downstairs so upstairs swelters in summer but does warm a little in Winter. Our power bills could be $400-$600 no joke but we don't have gas either so all cooking & water heater is in that too. Without running it this summer ( we had a really awful summer too & spent a lot of time at mums ) I got that bill down to $190 ... HUGE difference so I can understand the shock Vee !!!

BUT in saying that when I spoke with my mum her ducted running all summer at 22 degrees in a larger 3brm house that is double the size of mine was $560 ... So basically I could run a better system in my house than what I have had for approx the same cost. I could have had a cool upstairs area etc etc etc. So to me that is a no-brainer !!!

That being said a reverse cycle split system can be more effective if you are using it in a specific way, it's best to get a proper service out to assess what is best for the house & what is better for your budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had ducted evaporative cooling installed in our home (4 bed, 2 bath), it's a lot cheaper to install (about $3.5k) and cheaper to run compared to ducted refrigeration cooling (air-con). It cools our house just fine. It's Doesn't create that freezing cold air of an air-conditioner, like you get in offices. Shopping centers etc. it works by using outside air pushed through cooling filters to cool your house down. also better for asthma sufferers. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would think that if you are installing it on a singel level, with 2 zones eg living areas/ bedrooms, then you could get it for around $6 or $7 thousand- one large unit should do the trick and installing into a roof cavity would be relatively easy. Get multiple quotes and try and get it installed in the off-season. eg autumn or spring when there are massive savings to be had. We have it upstairs at our house- 2 zones- always set to 22 degrees when we use it. We love it, and use it only when we have to- eg last summer in Sydney there weren't many stinking hot days, do didn't use it much. Our electicity bills are around $380 per quarter.