+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much does a c-section cost in a public hospital?

I went to my first appointment at the hospital today and immediately requested an elective caesarean due to (in a nutshell) a cervical tear and traumatic birth from my last son. Essentially their respsonse was that "they don't know if I'll be granted a c-section" and my case is being put before the board of about 6 doctors for them to decide if it will be in mine and bubs best interest, and if my reasons are "medical enough" to warrant one. I will also be seeing the hospital councellor to try for a c-section on emotional grounds as well to help my case.

As a back up plan however, if my request gets rejected by the hospital, I was told that I could have 'intermediate care' which isn't public or private - but essentially it means you have public care, but then pay for an OB to come in and perfornt he c-section in the public hospital. I was just wondering if anyone knows how much it would cost to do this? The midwives couldnt' tell me. We really dont' have a lot of money, and of course I will be persuing the public route first...but it may come to this as having a natural, vaginal birth is just not an option for me. Not even a consideration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have thought that a public patient wouldn't have to pay anything, I've had 2 c-sections and didn't pay a cent. However if you're using a private ob then they will have a fee which can vary in price depending. I wouldn't have much of an idea but i'd say you'd be looking into the thousands..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have private health cover That's the reason that I would need to still be a public patient and just pay for a private OB to come in to perform the c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask your hospital for the names and contact numbers of the Private OBs that deliver there then you can call around and ask for quotes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you go see whoever at the hospital it shouldnt cost you anything. If you bring in a private OB i would think you only have to pay for him/her, but im not 100% certain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'd be looking at a few thousand dollars at least. You'll also have to pay the obstetrician's anaesthetist of choice to do a spinal and probably a paediatrician for the baby as well, I would guess. You're probably better off really pushing for the public elective c-section and exploring different avenues which would make it difficult for them to say no to you having one (mental as well as physical etc.).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mum_I'm _hungry. I'm already covering both aspects and have an appointment booked at the hospital to see their counsellor to get a referral for emotional reasons as well. I had a feeling that it might be a few thousand dollars worth...guess I better start saving just in case

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you do a bit of research into what happened last time, then go in looking very informed. I had a 3rd degree tear with baby #1 and the hospital said it was "up to me" how I delivered #2, but as I saw a different ob/midwife each time, some were pro cs and some weren't. I went and found articles (google scholar) about vb after 3rd degree tear and then went back with my facts and said I absolutely wanted a cs. They agreed (public hospital). If you can find "medical" enough reasons, take those along, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of articles from research done on traumatic births and subsequent births etc. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have to strongly state your case to the counsellor and tell them you are too traumatized to attempt a vaginal delivery. You shouldn't be forced to go private if you feel you really need a c section.

I have a friend who recently had a c section in a public hospy as she had a prolapse after her first delivery. She just had to speak to a counsellor first and then she was sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Old thread, somebody's spamming