User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best cough medicine that's safe during pregnancy?

Hi everyone

I've had a horrible lingering cold for over a month now and finally went to the chemist to get something for my unrelenting cough.. Pharmacist recommended Durotuss for what was then a dry cough. It has turned a bit chesty now and the Durotuss seems to be useless my whole body is sore from coughing, and I am just over it!

Sorry for the vent, but just wondering if anyone can recommend something better that is still safe during pregnancy? TIA

MrsTwith3 is offline Growing so fast...slow down already
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You will be hard pressed to find anything that you can take whilst you are pregnant. Maybe go to you GP and get your cough checked out and see what they say. I would NOT take the word of a pharmasist as to what you can and cant take whilst pregnant. Some of them have very little idea at all and it can be quite dangerous to your unborn baby.
    Im not sure of the phone number but you can search for it and give them a call. It is called Mothersafe and they will be able to tell you what drugs are safe while pregnant.
    I hope your feeling better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have had the same problem for the last three weeks i cough up lots to when i cough sorry tmi but i went to the doctors and he said when you are pregnant the only thing you can do is guggle salt water and try to fix your body that way cant take anything at all the reckon you just have to put up with it that is what he told me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda779 View Post
    i have had the same problem for the last three weeks i cough up lots to when i cough sorry tmi but i went to the doctors and he said when you are pregnant the only thing you can do is guggle salt water and try to fix your body that way cant take anything at all the reckon you just have to put up with it that is what he told me
    Is it just a cold cough or an infection. Mine has put me on antibiotics for a chest infection which i have finished still hasn't work sorry tmi i'm still coughing up green stuff and i'm not sure what to do have a c section in 2 weeks, really need to be rid of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MrsTwith, I did check the gov website too before taking it, tga.gov.au I think, and that gave it a 'category a' classification which means it has been used on a large number of pregnant women with no ill effects, so I'm confident that it's ok to take. I'll look into that mothersafe number that you recommended too.

Sorry to hear that you guys are suffering with it too if sucks! I think I will take myself off to the dr this week just in case mine has turned into an infection. It was definitely just a dry itchy cold cough about a week ago, but who knows anymore hope yours clears up soon Amanda, don't know about you but I'm over putting up with it!

Best of luck with your c section LFurness, hopefully your infection has gone and now and your body is just trying to get rid of the gunk

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have a chesty cough too - I phoned the hospital I'm booked in to and spoke to the pharmacist there ... then went to my local chemist and picked up Bisolvon Chesty - apparently the other Bisolvon range (sinus etc) are no good for pregnancy but the Chesty is.

Hope this helps