+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi StarfishMy third m/c last year was an empty sac. My HCG was low and I was already bleeding but my dr did a D&C as I live 350 km away from him. I bled like a light period for about a week. My period returned 4 weeks later but I did not ttc for another 5 months and hopefully this one will be sticky.
    Good luck for your journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone for getting on board and sharing your stories, as awful as it is I have been able to draw some strength from ALL you wonderful ladies who have not only survived this but persevered with your TTC journey's. Spot, honestly you are one incredibly resilient lady.

And congratulations DonDon on your pregnancy! Really warms the heart

I think once the shock began to wear off, the sadness and grief crept in along with the recognition that I am now not having a baby. I am left with lots of angry/ripped off feelings and really I just feel so empty. I recognise this is all normal but it still feels like such a long road, good days, bad days ahead. I have made an appointment with the counsellor at my clinic to provide a different space to talk about it and think it through, have never been to see her before. DH will likely come to the 2nd appt.

I have also found it really hard to explain the 'blighted ovum' phenomena to others (partic childless friends and also those who have never faced significant difficulties in conceiving). One friend even commented 'well what is there to miscarry?' when I explained the embryo was not seen on the scan. Let's just say she got a pretty graphic description of 'what's left to miscarry'...

I have been wondering about further genetic testing. The IVF ladies in partic will probably know a lot about this. Did any of you who had D&C's have the tissue analysed?

DH and I have had karyotype testing, results were normal and FS is of the opinion the reason for the blighted ovum and our prev lack of sucess has been due to abnormal embryos, so problems with egg or sperm (not a systemic genetic problem). MFI has been our main hurdle but seems to be improving. On this cycle we did manage to get from only mature 3 eggs, 3 blasties. However, we have now had 7 embryos transferred in total and I am terrified of this happening all over again.

Is it worth asking my FS about PGD or am I clutching at straws in my grief and I just need to accept 'its one of those things that can happen?'

Thanks a million and apologies for long winded post (and to non-IVFers for the litany of IVF jargon!)
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 06-06-2010 at 17:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again Starfish, how are you doing hun?...heres some more up first.xxx

Going through a m/c is just such an awful experience, then when you add ivf to the mix it just makes you question even further what is going wrong and is it ever going to happen at all. I often wonder what the "statistics" are with ivf on how many embryos, on average, are transferred before a take home baby is achieved. Some clinics i think say about 2 to 3 full ivf cycles (including fet's)...so i wonder how many embryos are actually used? how many embryos per cycle on average? Some women go through transfer after transfer after transfer and get many BFN's before finally one sticks and the pregnancy goes well. I have done a lot of reading about m/c, i have had 3 now, and i have also been tested positive for NK cells. The dury is still out on whether this is a case of cause or effect but some reports say that, as the NK cells in the uterus have a role in implantation, then maybe higher levels are making more non-viable embryos allowed to implant which are destined to m/c anyway (as opposed to just a BFN result where they have not been able to implant at all). They have found that women who m/c tend to fall pg relatively easily. As in my case, i have had a total of 11 embryos transferred and had 3 pg's and 3 m/c's (also a number of chemical pgs too)...i often wonder how does this compare to other ladies who have had the same number transferred and all straight BFN's...maybe over the “average” 2 or 3 full stim cycles, then go on to have a successful pg next go?

Dont know whether that makes any sense sorry. i am not saying at all that you have nk cells or any implantation issues... hopefully, and more likely, this was just a one off and next pg will be fine.
    Its just a horrible thing to go through, moreso than just a BFN…so much more emotional healing, grieving of the loss, time spent recovering...then to contemplate going back into the ivf to try all over again...its just so heartbreaking.
    After 4 years of ivf and 3 m/c's now i try and take away some comfort in the facts that: a) i know i actually CAN fall pg & b) most women who m/c eventually go on to have a healthy bub in the end....we just have to stay strong, trust in our bodies (i know it is so hard to do after a m/c) and keep the faith that our little miracles will come to us when they are good & ready!
    Sorry for the long post...hope it helped somehow...oh and one more
    Look after yourselves
    YY

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by YinYang View Post
    After 4 years of ivf and 3 m/c's now i try and take away some comfort in the facts that: a) i know i actually CAN fall pg & b) most women who m/c eventually go on to have a healthy bub in the end....we just have to stay strong, trust in our bodies (i know it is so hard to do after a m/c) and keep the faith that our little miracles will come to us when they are good & ready!
    Thanks YinYang, what you say does make a lot of sense! You are a wise, patient and very strong woman! It's just hard to keep it all in perspective with the loss still so close to the bone.

I have already been tested for NK cells (bt and then biopsy) when I had my lap in March, which was negative and had numerous vials of blood drawn at the very beginning of IVF to test for ANA/MTHFR/immune issues etc. It did turn out that I have factor V leiden and have been on clexane for every cycle since.

As you say you never know if the next one is gonna be the one. My current FS is quite proactive so I do take some comfort that he will do further tests/ try new things as necessary, but hey it never hurts to ask what else can be done! I think I was just in so much shock at the scan I couldn't get it together enough to ask many questions, so I will have my opportunity this week at the follow up scan. Big of thanks and my very best wishes to you with your next/current cycle. for a keeper!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies - not sure if I am typing this in the right section - first time here! Well I am so sad to hear all your stories but most have actually given me some home. I just got back from the clinic where they have booked me in for a D&C. I came back from holidays 4 weeks ago and we discovered I was pregnant - not planned! In shock I started the motions of scans, blood tests etc.. Unfortunately I live in Dubai and things aren't quite the same here!! Anyway - I went for first scan and she said the sac measured about 8 weeks but 'No baby!' and sent me on my way - confused and with no information about next steps I spoke to my GF's and Mum and went for a blood test (which they didn't do at the clinic!) HCG levels were 36,000, I went back 2 days later and they were 26,000 so I knew MC was on the way which I chose to deal with naturally. Anyway - after 2 weeks of a mixture of light spotting and a couple days of HEAVY bleeding I thought I was done and went for another scan to make sure I was clear (the whole experience has made us want kids more than ever!!) - anyway, there is leftover tissue hence the D&C option. Doc also mentioned Molar Pregnancy - which has scared the crap out of me!! (now hoping for blighted ovum!) After obsessive googling, my HCG levels dropping and me NOT feeling pregnant at ALL for the last month I am hoping this will not be the case but wanted to know if anyone has experienced this or knows anyone who has?? scared.com!!! Thanks ladies. Here's to us all getting thru these horrors and creating little horrors of our own . xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by YinYang View Post
    Hi Starfish, i recognise you from the IVF section too. I am so so sorry to hear you are going through this...its just so heartbreaking. My first m/c in 2008 was a blighted ovum, we had been doing ivf for 2 years already at that stage and to finally fall pg was so exciting...until the scan, then our hearts shattered into a million pieces. We didn't want to accept it at first and ended up having about 4 more scans over the next 2 weeks just to make sure our bub wasnt hiding anywhere in there...but no such luck . i think from memory my hcg at 7 weeks was around 36000 (?) and FS said that you can be waiting months for the levels to drop to m/c naturally. eventually by 9 weeks we made the decision to have a D&C. I think i had next AF about 8 weeks after that. i hindsight i should have had the D&C asap, it just prolonged the emotional pain and torture.
    Its such an awful thing to experience and unfortunately not too uncommon...am sending you lots of healing thoughts and plenty of hugs to get you both through this. Take plenty of time to grieve and build up your strength again, this is such a cruel blow.
    Take good care
    YY

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear your news Starfish and Nikki. It's sad that there are so many of us who've been through this!

I went in for my first scan (9 weeks) in August, and was told there was nothing but an empty gestational sac. I'd been nervous about the seeming absence of strong pregnancy symptoms, so I was prepared for a bad outcome, but it was still a horrible shock to actually hear them say it. My HCG that afternoon was 45,000 and I started to bleed lightly the next day.

Five days later my levels had only dropped to 39,000 and there was no sign the sac was going anywhere any time soon, so I opted for a D&C - I just needed it to be over. After the D&C I bled moderately for 4 days then lightly for another 7 days, and finally had a couple days of spotting. Three weeks after the D&C my HCG was finally down to <25, and AF returned about a week after that (but was short and light).

A couple of months on, my cycle seems to be normal again, but I can't say that about my head or my heart.

Nikki, my surgeon sent of a sample of "products" removed during the D&C to check for molar pregnancy. I think it's standard procedure, but you might want to ask beforehand to put your mind at rest. Starfish - I asked my OB about getting a chromosomal analysis done, but he felt it wasn't warranted for a first miscarriage. However, if I have another one I'll be asking far more strongly for this.

As for PGD - I think it is absolutely worth asking the question and seeing what the FS thinks. I think that sometimes they see this happen so often that they forget there are real human beings undergoing all this hurt and pain, and that we might need extra reassurance next time around.

Best wishes and big hugs to both of you. I hope you are both able to get physical closure soon, and are able to move on to starting to heal emotionally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your advice - have just come back from D&C and feel good, I know that sounds wrong but I think it more the relief of knowing i have a 'clean uterus' again - I only bled naturally for about 10 days in MC so glad I went for a scan and they saw remaining tissue which has now been removed. praying for normal results from the tissue tests. Will keep you posted. baby luck to us all!! xxx