+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blighted ovum BUT high hcg levels???

Hi ladies,
    I have only yesterday had my scan (at 6wk 5d) and received the devastating news that it appears I have a blighted ovum This is an IVF conception.

I have been doing a lot of googling and I am confused about a few conflicting things I have read, particularly about low hcg levels being common, however my beta hcg at 6wk 4d was a whopping 49,979 and my progesterone is excellent at 126. The reason I had the bt was due to some brief spotting I had on the sunday evening prior which did not recur.

At present I am going back for another scan next week and I am booked for a D&C the week after that if I haven't miscarried on my own...which seems unlikely with my hcg and prog levels!

I am not looking for reassurance that this could be a misdiagnosis, my FS is quite confident and the sac did measure 30mm and no visible embryo inside. I'm just keen to connect with other women who have been in this situation and I'm curious to know if you also had a high beta hcg, and did you decide to let nature take its course or opt for a D&C?

Like most people I'm sure, I'm really keen for this pregnancy to end if that is to be its fate so I can move on with TTC.

Thanks very much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Starf1sh

I'm so sorry about your diagnosis. I too had a blighted ovum but unlike you I didn't know anything was amiss untill I had a 10 week scan. It makes it doubly hard for you being an IVF conception.

I had a D&C the very next day. I can't help you with HCG levels as I never had a BT to check them.

I wasn't given the option to miscarry naturally and I'm glad I didn't. i don't think i could of handled a natural one. I wanted it over with asap.

to you. It's not an easy road and it is very unfair. I hope it all goes fairly quickly for you and you can start agian when your ready.

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya Starfish,

I know you from the IVF threads, I too had the same, my levels were not tested after my initial blood test at 4 weeks but my HCG was high'ish.

I had all the symptoms, then went to the scan feeling good until like you my world came crashing down as we stared at an empty sac. Every little shadow i hoped was a baby but it was empty.

I was advised to wait a week and see if I miscarried but nothing happened so then was booked in for a D&C, it was all just so sad.

Glad I had the D&C though. It closed the door on that episode and I could focus on letting my heart and body repair and get ready for the coming months.

xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for sharing your stories and Spot, this is my 1st foray out of the IVF threads, thanks for being here to answer my questions, although I truely wish none of us had been in this place

As I mentioned I have spent much of the day googling/reading on line (as we do!) and I have come around to the idea that a D&C will be the best option for me. Although, that said, this will be the 5th surgical procedure/GA for me in 10 months which is bordering on the ridiculous!

Do you mind if I ask how long you bled for after D&C, and subsequently how long did it take for AF to return?

Thank you so much ladies, it all helps me get my head around what the next couple of months might involve for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by xpress2; 01-07-2013 at 09:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Starf1sh

I beld for about 2 weeks and spotted for the next week on and off. If you click on my ff chart you'll be be to see my history from the D&C.

Like you I had had a lap in the Feb got pregnant and then in the following April had to have a D&C. Not surgical procedue is pleasant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Zultbear, I know every woman is different but its helpful to hear other women's experiences post D&C. My AF did not return at all after my lap which was very unusual for me, but close monitoring by my clinic showed I had ovulated that cycle, WTF? just no bleed. So I am a little anxious about what my body might do this time. Best wishes with your TTC journey, and I hope you are holding your baby very soon!

Xpress2, your story is very similar to mine. The cruelest thing I have found so far is still living with all the pregnancy symptoms due to the high hcg, it's like a nightmare you can't wake up from or forget about for a minute with aching (.)(.) and getting up to pee all night!

Congratulations on your little boy, so wonderful to see people actually get there after all that heartache!

Thanks again ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I am sorry to hear this.

I also m/c'd because of a blighted ovum...

A scan at 11.5 weeks showed the sac was empty (I was p**ed off I went to 11.5 weeks with it - why couldn't my body have given me a sign earlier?!).

A blood test that same day showed a hcg of 7,000 (Dr said it was probably higher but had probably already started to drop).

I wanted to be sure so decided to let it come out naturally. I started bleeding 2 days after the scan and bled on and off for 4 weeks.

So sorry - I know how disapointing it is!

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Starfish I bled for a few days, it stopped then bled more and felt like a period and then over 2 weeks went away.

I then resumed normal periods about a month after. Then my last FET I had a natural miscarriage at 6 weeks, no D&C required as scans showed my body dealt with everything.

I know what you mean about the GA... as I walked into the theatre I asked if they were going to name a theatre after me given all my visits!!!

Look, I am happy with a D&C if your body is taking too long, I see it as a cleanse of sorts, preparing the incubator for the next round

My miscarriage was very different, sudden, painful and over in 3 days.

PM me if you wish doll.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default So sorry

Hi Starfish, i recognise you from the IVF section too. I am so so sorry to hear you are going through this...its just so heartbreaking. My first m/c in 2008 was a blighted ovum, we had been doing ivf for 2 years already at that stage and to finally fall pg was so exciting...until the scan, then our hearts shattered into a million pieces. We didn't want to accept it at first and ended up having about 4 more scans over the next 2 weeks just to make sure our bub wasnt hiding anywhere in there...but no such luck . i think from memory my hcg at 7 weeks was around 36000 (?) and FS said that you can be waiting months for the levels to drop to m/c naturally. eventually by 9 weeks we made the decision to have a D&C. I think i had next AF about 8 weeks after that. i hindsight i should have had the D&C asap, it just prolonged the emotional pain and torture.
    Its such an awful thing to experience and unfortunately not too uncommon...am sending you lots of healing thoughts and plenty of hugs to get you both through this. Take plenty of time to grieve and build up your strength again, this is such a cruel blow.
    Take good care
    YY