User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- The Best Signature Award
    a person's a person, no matter how small
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Is the blanket rule that you're at fault if you hit the back of a car stupid?

I can think of several scenarios where it would not be your fault but if you hit the back of someone car, it's always your fault.

That irritates me! Agreed or nay?

headoverfeet is offline You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    AFAIK you should always have a safe stopping distance in front of you.

When would you not be at fault for not having a safe stopping distance?
    Mr 35- web designer Ms-31 SAHM
    Mr 7- I think I know it all Mr 5- I want to do it all Miss 3- The Queen
    Extreme Babysitting- Story of a Gestational Surrogate

Thanks
    Reviews
    its never really bothered me that much - it worries me in city driving sometimes (but i dislike city driving anyway), and always reassures me, cause *i'm* not the one tailgating

so they're the ones who have to freak when i slam my breaks cause they're too close

i am struggling to think of a scenario where it wouldn't be the person in the backs fault? maybe i'm just unimaginative though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They will always investigate it.
    My brother got rear ended but the fault was deemed to be the person who was in front of my brother, who stopped suddenly, my brother stopped suddenly missing the first person by centimeters and the person behind my brother hit him, and pushed my brother into the car in front and then another 20m forward.
    Though generally speaking it is the rule, but they will investigate it and find out the real reason.

BarefootedMumma is online now Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes Cause you should be keeping a Safe distance (Think the 3 second rule) behind.

However having said that, I have a friend who used to stop Absurdly away from the car infront at lights (I am talking 2-3Mtrs MIN). Anyway he was the meat in a sandwhich once and there were mark on the road showing he was actually stopped about 3.5 mtrs away from the car infront when the guy behind him Flew up his rear. as ther was proof he was Beyond a safe distance away from the car infront the guy behind had to pay for repairs to all 3 vehicles.

Oh and BTW I have known people who wher reveresedinto being at fault again for not giving a Safe distance (never mind the fact the person infrom was reversing away from a red light.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It isn't *always* the person in the car behind's fault. It is just a presumption they are at fault due to the factors mentioned by the PP.

An example where it would be the front car's fault: if they suddenly put the car into reverse and accelerated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is it a blanket rule, or a presumption? I don't know. I've never had cause to look into it. But I think you have a tough time convincing the insurers that you're not at fault if you hit somebody from behind.

Anyway, I've encountered two instances where (if the person behind is to be believed) that it should have been the person in front's fault:

- person behind claimed that person in front deliberately slammed on brakes on 100km/h highway

- person behind claimed that person in front reversed back into them at a traffic light

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought I would add that the person in front stopped suddenly for no reason, he just stopped at a green light, thinking it was about to go yellow, and who was also drugged out of his mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it would also be the person in front's fault if they pulled out into a lane (on the freeway etc) without looking or indicating and there was no time for the person behind to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont think it's stupid. You should always keep a safe stopping distance.
    Also I've often wondered about the ocassion where it's a 3 car pile up. If it can be proved that the middle person had left enough room between them and the car in front, does the person at the end (the 3rd person) have to pay up?
    I got rear ended when I'd only have my p's for 6 months by a range rover, I was in a for laser hatch, at 90kms/hour! The guy tried to blame me for not indicating... Hmm, yes, right. He should have been watching what he was doing, seen my brake light (had one in the top ofthe rear window too) an not sitting so damn close! Needless to say the car was a write-off