+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am thinking it's gonna be a late night trip to the airport tonight as the planes cannot land down at the mine because of the rain ,the rain I was enjoying so much till now haha. At least all their flights in and out are in the arvo so no more early wake ups I do not miss them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So how is everyone going?
    We are 2 days down now, DH is back in a week tomorrow, and looks like DS1 is getting sick.....typical.
    They always get sick when it's just little old me
    I just hope he keeps it to himself and dosnt get Tonsilitis ( like he usually does after a cold )

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got a week to go and my Dd is also sick and teething!! When he gets back we've got holidays so I'm counting down the days!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

my DH is about to start work in the mines and do FIFO. I keep flip flopping between being ok with it to being absolutely terrified and having panic attacks. He hasn't even left yet and already I'm questioning if we're doing the right thing. Did anyone else feel like this when they first started?? I have 2 young children, 1 is 4 years and 1 is 6 months. I'm not worried about taking care of them. Just about being alone and missing him. We're very close. Does anyone have any tips on coping??

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What sort of shift will he be doing? My Dh does a 2week on 1 week off and I find having him home for a full week 24:7 is much more helpful than when he would get home at 6 and miss out on Dd! When he first started he was on a really bad shift and I'd only see him for 3'days every 3 weeks!!'that was really hard! My tips: keep busy! You will have no problem doing that with a 4 and 6 month old! I find the 2 weeks goes by before I know it because I have things planned almost every day: swimming, kindermusik, mothers group, food shopping, visits to friends....
    You will be fine! I cried for a week the first time Dh left and it was hard the first few times saying goodbye again but now I have my routine I just get back into it when he's gone. I think it's also important to have clear goals as to why he is going away so you see the extra money going to something worthwhile.
    Good luck!!! Feel free to pm me if you need to chat!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

Annas angels  (21-05-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annas angels View Post
    Hi,

my DH is about to start work in the mines and do FIFO. I keep flip flopping between being ok with it to being absolutely terrified and having panic attacks. He hasn't even left yet and already I'm questioning if we're doing the right thing. Did anyone else feel like this when they first started?? I have 2 young children, 1 is 4 years and 1 is 6 months. I'm not worried about taking care of them. Just about being alone and missing him. We're very close. Does anyone have any tips on coping??

Thanks
    I found skype good for dh to speak to the kids and they were able to show artwork etc they enjoyed it much more than just the phone. You need telstra service on most mine sites but he can ring them and ask about phone and Internet service. We got it ok when dh was up north wa and northern territory. Plus dh can log onto FB and check out our kids pictures and what we are up to and visversa.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replying.

I feel like a big sook. He's going to be on pretty good rotations. 4 days on 4 off, 5 on 5 off. It's just that we've been together for 9 years and hardly been apart in that time. I've heard that skype is pretty good and I wasn't sure what mobile services etc work out there so we'll have to ask around. Both my brother in laws do the same thing which is how we got into it so my sister in laws are able to help too. I'm hoping they'll be on the same rosters so at least we'll be alone at the same time..My son already said he wishes that daddy didn't have to get a new job so that he didn't have to go away and I know it's only because of how I've been reacting.

We're doing it to try and get the house paid off ASAP to free up more money and time in the long run for the kids so they don't miss out on anything. At the moment he works full time, I work 3 days a week and we barely make ends meet. I wish there were more options of living in the mining town but that's only possible if the mine subsidises the rent and there's a waiting list for years for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annas angels View Post
    Thanks for replying.

I feel like a big sook. He's going to be on pretty good rotations. 4 days on 4 off, 5 on 5 off. It's just that we've been together for 9 years and hardly been apart in that time. I've heard that skype is pretty good and I wasn't sure what mobile services etc work out there so we'll have to ask around. Both my brother in laws do the same thing which is how we got into it so my sister in laws are able to help too. I'm hoping they'll be on the same rosters so at least we'll be alone at the same time..My son already said he wishes that daddy didn't have to get a new job so that he didn't have to go away and I know it's only because of how I've been reacting.

We're doing it to try and get the house paid off ASAP to free up more money and time in the long run for the kids so they don't miss out on anything. At the moment he works full time, I work 3 days a week and we barely make ends meet. I wish there were more options of living in the mining town but that's only possible if the mine subsidises the rent and there's a waiting list for years for that.
    Lol your not a sook, dh wouldn't do FIFO yrs ago and we lived in the mining towns but now we have kids he doesn't want us to leave the city anymore. Is he FIFO your other half or drive in ?as thats usually a residential roster. The kids are funny hey ,one of mine always asks dh if he's coming home tonight and one of the others yells daddy at the planes that fly over.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Boo, hubby leaves early Sunday morning and I'm already sulking so I'm going to waste his last day here with my sulkingness lol.

He'll be away for a week, then home for a week then away for a month (& out of contact pretty much). A month! Gah!

While he's gone I'm sole charge with running our business which is fulltime and a blimmin squeeze with two kids to fit in with too... it's always hard work but right now with 1st trimester exhaustion into the bargain it's gonna truly blow!

Woe is me etc lol

lulu2 that's so cute, your little one yelling daddy at the planes overhead I can imagine.

wannaBamumma - Yay for holidays to look forward to!

Annas angels I'm sure you'll get into your groove and find yourself a routine that works to keep busy and entertained. The biggest thing for me is making sure I see other adults lol, between running around running the business, and running around after the kids, and trying to keep the house stuff on track, I often realise that I've gone a week and not spoken to ANYONE (other than maybe answering customer queries on the phone or something but that doesn't count lol). I now have two regular after school playdates with other mums and kids from school, and regardless of how flat out busy or behind I am I just make myself go because it's a standing arrangement - definitely helps to keep me sane
    Last edited by helicopter; 20-05-2011 at 16:58.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to helicopter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey girls!!! Looks like my hubby will be coming home in 4 days Ill believe it when he tells me he is on the plane though as a couple of days ago he told me he wasnt on the list of people getting off. Its been a VERY long 14wks and hope it does not happen again.

helicopter - makes me tired just thinking about it! Very hard to do anything much at all during the first trimester.

lulu2 - so cute your little one yelling daddy at the plane

wannabamumma - enjoy your holidays

Annasangels - sounds like you have lots of support around, hopefully it wont take you long to get into the swing of things. 4 days will go really quickly. I find it helpful to have things planned on most days (mainly lessons for the kids but I go to the gym too!) before you know the week has gone. I find the weekends the hardest cos I have all the kids at home and no particular plans. Hope you enjoy it! FIFO definitly has its benefits when they have so much time at home

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tayahnkai For This Useful Post: