+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the input everyone, especially good to hear from someone who has children there and is happy with the school.
    I didnt know Ormeau and Pimpama weren't zoned either bugger!
    Well anyway it's a bit late now we decided not to put an offer on that place such a shame but we had to decide.
    Instead we have found a place at Highland Reserve Estate so will be sending him to Highland reserve State school.
    Not sure about highschool yet, but we have a few years to think about that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Coomera Springs is a wonderful school.

The high school half of UCSC is concerning from what I've experienced.

Everyone I know has sent their kids to private for high school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Highland reserve school

Hi we seem to have a similar problem. My son aged 5 has just started at Helensvale. We are however moving to Highland Reserve as it's quieter. I am in the dilemma of do I leave him at Helensvale or move him to HR. The school is new in HR and I have no idea of what it is like. Any thoughs/advice?
    Also have a 2 year old at Helensvale Kindy and have heard the Upper Coomera Kindy's are a no-go area, help, only been in Aus for 3 months - don't know where is best!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    May I just interject here, I attend Upper Coomera State College, have done since grade seven, and I am currently one of this years proudly graduating students. Today, merely weeks away from leaving the school, I am as proud of my school today as I was when I first started attending the school.

Of course, I am posting this merely days after an incident that has the media buzzing, but if you have paid attention to this incident you will realise how unreliable the media is. One reports one of a parent being involved, another reports three teachers. Here's the real story, " I actually support our students reasoning. (yeah, wrong way to go about it but it was for the right reasons). A kiwi was walking his younger sister to school through the junior entrance and passed the helensvale kids, who were swearing and cursing like there was no tomorrow. The kiwi asked them to stop swearing in front of the kids. The helensvale kids spat on him. The kiwi then walked his sister to class and went back to talk to the kids, and a few of his friends tagged along. The helensvale kids threw the first punch."

I can tell you without an inch of dishonesty that there is no racial problem at our school, and there never has been. It may appear so because the kiwi's hang out together with few white people, and visa versa, but this is because groups like theKapa Haka and Theatre Sports create strong bonds between those groups, and it just becomes second nature to hang out with these people.

But while the media overexagerates our supposed "racial tension", do they make any mention of the ACTUAL stabbing at Southport High? Or the drugs that the seniors are pushing on the juniors at Pacific Pines? No! In my time at UCSC we've had about three lock downs, the rest have been either false alarms or practices that teachers have mistaken as real because they failed to inform the teachers properly.

Basically, UCSC is a wonderful school that makes me incredibly proud to call myself a student of the school. Yeah, we may have our flaws, but the only reason the media blows it out of proportion is because we are a p to 12 campus with thousands of students. You can ask the internet but no matter how much the school does well (Reach Program, Kapa Haka, Theatre Sports, Honours Program, do you really want me to go on?) it will never reign over the shadow that the media casts over us just for a 15-minute story

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissSG For This Useful Post:

del79  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default yes it is

I am currently at this hell hole and I'm constently being punched, kicked and sexualy abused. some of the teachers in the school witness these events but are to careless to do anything. one day i was kept in for detention and my maths teacher sexually harassed me, i reported him but the hod (head of department) didn't seem to care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are just up the road in Heritage Gardens and I have very close friends who live in Highland Reserve and we love the area.

I have a 6 year old daughter who is in Grade 1 at Highland Reserve State School(started prep there last year) and I absolutely LOVE the school. It was only built a few years ago and I thought it may have had some 'new school settling issues' but I have not a bad word to say about it. The resources the students have access to are amazing. The children have access to Ipads, ipods, laptops, science labs, green rooms, interactive white boards.

The principal is great, though very strict on behaviour and students trying their hardest, which I personally think is great. It is very community focused and quite often holds family BBQ's at the local park. Anyway, I could go on and on about the positives of it but I think you get the message! We were actually going to sent our daughter to Coomera Anglican College but because Highland Reserve state school is literally at our front door, my husband talked me into trying Highland Reserve first and then if we didn't like it, transferring her to the private school. In my personal opinion Highland Reserve State School is just as good as CAC if not better, without the private school fees.

I also have a 4 year old son who attends the C & K Kindergarten which is built in the Highland Reserve State school School grounds. It is a brand new Kindergarten which only opened this year and it is awesome. He is so happy there though it is only a 5 day fortnight which doesn't suit everybody. As for high school, rumour has it the local councillors are putting applications in for a Highland Reserve State High School to be built in the future. Won't be the next few years but hopefully the time our little ones are close to that age!

Anyway, just wanted to give you a bit of peace of mind about the area. I know it can be very daunting moving to a new area especially with the thought of schools for kids. Good luck with the move!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Farksticle View Post
    I am currently at this hell hole and I'm constently being punched, kicked and sexualy abused. some of the teachers in the school witness these events but are to careless to do anything. one day i was kept in for detention and my maths teacher sexually harassed me, i reported him but the hod (head of department) didn't seem to care.
    If you're serious I really encourage you to tell your parents about this, if they won't do something, tell a friends parent who will advocate for you.

This is in no way okay or acceptable.