+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Upper Coomera State College; is it really that bad??

Me, DH and our three children are moving to Upper Coomera in several weeks.
    We've just sold our house and are looking to buy a new one.
    We have found one we LOVE but it is in the UCSC catchment. My DS1 is 5 and in prep. He very creative and quiet and needs a bit of guidance but is currently doing very well at our local catholic primary school.

All I have heard is bad things about Upper Coomera State College by hearsay. Any mums with children there think it is any good or is it a really terrible school?
    There are private schools in the area but they are far too expensive for us especially considering we will have 3 children at school within 5years.
    I have rung Highland Reserve and Coomera Springs state schools and would have to go on a waiting list with no guarantees of getting my son in there.

SO should I give up our dream home and move to the Springs or Highland Reserve area to ensure he gets into either of those schools??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't heard good things about it..

My friends kiddies go to Rivermount and you get great discount with each additional child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    THanks MrP I had a look at Rivermount it was more expensive than some of the other private schools in Upper Coomera unfortunately
    There is just no way we can afford $7200 a year in school fees, thats with a discount on the three kids and not including levys. I know we are spoilt where we are as he goes to a local catholic school and it is only $1000 per year.
    I guess we'll have to give up on this house and look inside the Coomera spings or Highland Reserve catchment.
    Thanks anyway.
    ANy other Opinions would be appreciated too thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why give up your dreamhouse, why not just look at some of the schools close by such as Pimpama or Ormeau State School, these 2 schools are not zoned so it doesnt matter where you live. My daughter goes to Ormeau State school and we dont live in Ormeau!! Ok so you may have to drive a bit each day but it may be worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    coomera public never used to be zoned either. i heard good things about uscc primary years bit not high school

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of my kids go to UCSC. They are thriving, haven't been involved in any type of anything really...

I'll go through all the three kids separately and their experiences if you'd like.

Eldest is a boy who is 13 and in yr 8...he isn't fussed on going to school but that's just him. He is now in the Boys Education class which of for those boys who aren't high acheivers but who are putting in their best effort. He is held to task on all work and assgnments and MUST hand them in and act in a manor according to the contracts they signed at the start of the year. Any major forms in misconduct will result in him being removed from the class. I get emails from his teachers going over the work they are doing and listing all relevant assignments that are due.

My daughter is 12, in the Honours class, her workload and expectations on behaviour and even uniform is HUGE. they are extended in a lot of areas and she is doing even more work than her older brother. She is now competent and capable of doing work much more involved than is required for her age. She was also in the honours class in the junior school.

My youngest is 7 and is in Yr 2. He has been idenetified as possibly being G&T, and although there is no program set up for the younges junior school his teacher is pushing for one to be developed to help him.

At every turn the teachers at this school have exceeded our expectations and left us feeling satisfied with our choice. Of course there are those kids that are trouble but they are at.every.school.

If you look at all the dramas with knifing etc lately most of them have been at private schools. Everyone is saying don't send your child to UCSC for primary, but I have been nothing but pleased with it. Then the question is where do you send your children for High School?!? Helensvale has a terrible reputation as does any othe high school close by.

Good luck and choose the school you feel confident with. But please don't rule out UCSC just because of hear say.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask

Cheers,
    Symone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Julz i know nothing about Coomera schools, but i have known kids that went to st stephens and it was great for them, i know pimpama state school is great too... but i agree don't give up that house just because of schools, why not just try it out if you don't like it move him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a look at Jubilee Primary School on Binstead Way at Pacific Pines. Their fees seem to be cheaper than catholic school. It's ecumennical- run by Catholic Anglican Lutheran and COC churches together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i hear that coomera springs is a good public school. Like you i've heard nothing good about ucsc!