Poll: Does your partner help around the house?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    only in the garden but nothing really inside except switching on the dishwasher occasionally, but he does his own ironing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work 3 days, Dh works 5. He is also busy maintaining his truck on the weekends (his office!). However he helps with sweeping the floor now and then, putting on a load of washing if he gets home before me, mops his way into the lounge just before we settle on the couch and baths DS most nights. Um...all the outside stuff and empties the bins once a week.
    Oh and he will iron his own T-shirt if I am busy...

Thanks
    Reviews
    it's more of he things the "nagging" will stop if he helps clean. However we clean every week lol.

Nah he is good at helping out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes , My Darling Partner helps alot around the house he does all the yard work ,cutting grass etc , we both look after our vege garden . We both love to cook , He is a great cook , mostly these days he cooks more nights than me , I mostly do the dishes everynight , but if i have had a big day ,he will do them while I see to our girls .I appreciate everything he does ...I do all the inside stuff like vacuming, mop floors scrub toilet and bathroom and general tidyness of general stuff ...I'm a very lucky girl !!! Cause he works long days and works so hard as a steel fixer , he loves to come home and spend as much time with our girls as he can ...cause they got to bed every night at 7pm , so if stuff needs doing I will do it while he spends time with our girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones, as my DH helps out heaps.
    He works long hours running his own business, but still manages to come in of an evening and help with dinner, or get dd bathed, he always helps clean up after dinner, feeds the dogs, hangs washing on the line, gets washing of the line etc.. Most nights he puts dd to bed and reads her a story. I like to get most things done around the house, so he doesnt need to come home from a big day at work and do lots more.. but being heavily pregnant atm I am definately appreciateing and needing his help more then I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's his house, and I'm not his maid, therefore he does stuff around the house as needed.

We do have a fairly "traditional" (old fashioned) relationship, because he brings home the bacon and I don't work at the moment, and I'm happy for him to do all the traditional "manly" stuff like taking out the rubbish, mowing the lawns etc, while I do all the cooking, and most of the baby stuff.

But I never have to wash dishes or carry a grocery bag, and presently I hand over the reins to him every night at bedtime and he deals with crying children, paces the halls with them, and takes them for walks around the block (out of earshot) at 3am if needed so I can sleep. He'll also spend half a day moving furniture around to please me, even if he has work to do, and he never complains or rolls his eyes when I decide it all looked better where it was in the first place.

I also do all the repairs around the home and if it's something I can't do then I call in a tradie and DP happily foots the bill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm happy to report my DP does a whole lot more he's been home 5 days and studying 2 and it took a while but we are falling into a better rhythm with housework. I cook because I love cooking and so I grocery shop because I know what I need. We both do dishes, he's been jumping up and doing dishes, clearing the table and wiping benches! I think having open plan (errm little unit it has to be open plan or it wouldn't have a kitchen lol) helps because he can SEE it, we can't close the door on mess.

Laundry I still do most of the laundry and he did get a steady stare this morning when he asked where his shirts were and I said they are in the washing basket... He's like 'what why?' (genuine shock and dismay) umm it's been raining for 3 days straight I need him to set up the dryer in the garage for me, but aside from asking me where clothes are and expecting me to have waved a magic wand and they are dry. But he has washed, hang out, bring in and fold AND put away clothes now (and the crowd goes wild!!!!) he used to say 'I did the laundry' if he did one of those 5 steps!!! Umm no, it's a whole process luv.

Overall cleaning he still hasn't cleaned a bathroom since we met 4.5 years ago, but he once a week moves all the furniture and vacuum's and does tidy the lounge, put away toys and stuff.

I'm really proud of him, even though I jest.

And in return I've been more involved in bills and budgeting because I largely expected he'd just take care of that stuff, so now I'll sit down and we'll work through it together

I hope it lasts! I feel so much more *in love* having more of a shared partnership.

If he stopped criticizing things He'd be perfect. But since I brought it to his attention again he's been a bit better. Because since he started doing more housework he started each and every day if I did XYZ he'd come home and say 'you didn't do A B or C?' or 'what's this doing on the floor' or it was always something! And the other day I friggin snapped (almost tearfully) and he's been a bit more mindful of what he says!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

PurpleStars  (21-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very lucky to have a very anal DH when it comes to cleaning. I never have to ask him and he often does more than me, I think he actually enjoys it. My only gripe is that if he gets to clean something before I do, I end up feeling incompetent! But I really can't complain. We share cleaning, I do the shopping and most of the cooking, he does all the outside stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    no, only if I nag him about it then the dishes either get chipped (my good dinner set) coz he's so heavy handed, and they stay greasy uugghh..
    never vacuums, has self diagnosed himself to be "allergic" to bleachy type cleaners so no cleaning og bathroom or toilets, never vacuums unless asked, never mops unless asked, never dusts, or does windows?? don't fairies fly out of the trees and do that?? and now he's moved his son in from previous marriage, and now its a double dose.
    Only does clothes washing, and takes garbage out when overflowing.
    he does mow the 5 sqm of lawn on the odd occasion though, and a bit of gardening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner does most of the cooking as we have a 5 month old daughter who is breastfed by me... He also cleans etc. He does not do much when it comes to our baby though, he changes the odd nappy but never offers to bath her or get up when she cries throughout the night. Although he sometimes helps to put her to sleep at night. He always said he wanted to be a hands on dad but I think he now realizes it's not as easy as he thought!