Twin Genetics - ID/frat, Are you a chance of having twins etc | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    It just goes to show how outdated the term 'identical' is when referring to twins, hey?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hunnybunny View Post
    Great idea for a thread Nomsie!

There are alot of people out there that are misinformed and think that because twins have separate placentas and sacks then they are definitely fraternal. So not the case, like bgbgbb said it depends on when the egg splits.

There have also been cases out there of women doing IVF, having one embryo put back and having fraternal twins, because the woman releases an egg and it is fertilised in the "normal" way by her partner.
    I remember a set of quads that were concieved via Ivf with two embryos being put back in. While she was pregnant they assumed she had two sets of ID twins
    After bubs were born all four ds looked nothing a like. Genetic testing revealed fraternal quads so 2 implanted Ivf bubs and 2 "natural" bubs

Does PCOS play a chance for twins? I've always wondered this as pcos leads to multiple follicles sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    I remember a set of quads that were concieved via Ivf with two embryos being put back in. While she was pregnant they assumed she had two sets of ID twins
    After bubs were born all four ds looked nothing a like. Genetic testing revealed fraternal quads so 2 implanted Ivf bubs and 2 "natural" bubs

Does PCOS play a chance for twins? I've always wondered this as pcos leads to multiple follicles sometimes
    Hi LPH...sorry for your loss
    Your question "Does PCOS paly a chance in twins?".....I to have been wondering this. I have this month had 3 large follies on my right O and 1 large on my Left O and was told to DTD to avoid having multiples.

Im now 8dpo and totaly ignored my doc advice completely after trying to have another baby for 8 years now, So im hoping i caught at least one...but 2 would be nice, 3 um ok, 4 maybe my limit. But you get it....why would we stop trying because of this risk ??

So back to LPH question, im very interested to know more if any one knows ??

Hope you dont mind me jumping in to have a nosey....just getting ahead of my self !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wickednails, you ask why would you not TTC this cycle because of the risk of higher order multiples. Well why don't you google risks of prematurity and see for yourself why doctors don't like multiple births. Sorry but I think it's irresponsible to continue to DTD against doctors advice. I hope for your sake you don't get pregnant with triplets or more then miscarriage or have extreme premature bubs.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the very informative posts!
    My twins were fraternal, but I had two placenta lobes (looks like they fused, rather than 2 seperate placentas)
    My older sisters twins are fraternal too, we both seem to ovulate twice!
    They gave me a 1/4 chance of twins again, especially if I fell pregnant while breastfeeding, but this time I am high risk from the start, if it is multiples (no chance of attempting a VB) since only DD made it earthside

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Wickednails, you ask why would you not TTC this cycle because of the risk of higher order multiples. Well why don't you google risks of prematurity and see for yourself why doctors don't like multiple births. Sorry but I think it's irresponsible to continue to DTD against doctors advice. I hope for your sake you don't get pregnant with triplets or more then miscarriage or have extreme premature bubs.
    Im sorry i didnt mean to offend....and am quite aware of all the risks. I was just extremely frustrated with the whole ttc process. Hence the reason im hear to seek advice, opinions, support just like everyone else.

There is no need to make me feel like %@& because i an seeking advice.
    Last edited by bubbanails; 22-05-2011 at 15:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel like cr*p. I can't imagine what it is like to be a long term ttc'er and be told not to give it a go one month because of the risk of multiples. I do wish you all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such an interesting read! We are currently 27 weeks with dizygotic diamniotic twins- a boy and girl. Dh's dad is an ID twin, and has a set of twin boys who I think are dcda. Dh's mums side has triplets but they were 1 egg split into 3.

People ask all the time who has twins in the family and we just say dh. It's so much easier than explaining that it doesn't matter that twins are on his side, or that we conceived on clomid lol.

Found it really interesting to read that there is still a chance our bubs came from one egg-- the whole thing is fascinating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    What is all this monozygotic/dizygotic stuff: Understanding your twins zygosity

You will have noticed I started to refer to twins as monozygotic and dizygotic. This is mainly for one reason: my boys we are 80% sure* are monozygotic. That means they are 'identical'. The word identical does not describe them though. You can have two babies from the one egg and not have them be EXACTLY the same. There are even some (rare) instances of two babies from the one egg being boy/girl twins.

*Only 80% because to know for sure I would have to get them tested. Although- they shared a placenta, which accounts for the 80%, but had seperate sacs (which throws in that 20% uncertainty)

Monozygotic:
    One zygote, or egg.
    This means two babies from one egg. The egg splits apart within the firs few weeks of conception. No one knows why. Hence MZ twins being completely random. The twins share the same DNA split, although sometimes within hours of the split, the DNA in one or both feotuses can morph.

MZ twins are commonly referred to as identical, but this isn't always the case. They may share VERY similar looks and personalities, but because there are so many outside factors as to what makes up a person, MZ twins are very much their own person. MZ twins can sometimes look very different, and as stated above there have been some b/g monozygotic twins.

Dizygotic:
    Two eggs released and fertilised.

The genetic connection is no more or less than to two siblings conceived and developed years apart. Two eggs are released upon ovulation, and are both fertilised by the father. They grow and develop in the womb together, most likely with their own placenta. (Although placentas can fuse to make one) DZ twins may look alike, but then again may be entirely different.

How can I determine my twins' zygosity:

The only sure way is DNA testing, since relying on if they look the same or not isn't foolproof.
    There are some indicating factors that I have hinted to above, but remember every rule has it's exception.

*If your twins shared 1 placenta and one sac, they are most likely monozygotic. They are referred to as monochorionic monoamniotic twins. (Meaning they shared a placenta or chorion, and a sac or amnion)

* If your twins shared 1 placenta but had their own sacs, again they are most likely monozygotic, but like I pointed out above there is about a 20% chance they are dizygotic, and have fused two placentas to make one. These twins are referred to as dichorionic monoamniotic twins.

*If your twins each had their own placenta, they are most likely dizygotic. They are referred to as dichorionic diamniotic twins.

*If your twins are boy/girl, they are most likely dizygotic... the chances of having b/g mz twins are something like 1 in 10,000 (I think- it's some insane number that I can't recall off the top of my head and would have to delve into my research to remember.)

In the end though, it doesn't really matter what zygosity they are- they are your children and they are beautiful

(ETA: an excellent way to see all these points laid out infront of you is in this zygosity chart I just found, thanks to about.com
    I love this post as It informs alot of people on the different twins out there, when we found out we were having twins we researched all this information so we were aware. I quoted your above post because although all this information is correct you missed one of the types of monozygotic twins which is Monochorionic Diamniotic which is what we have where they have one placenta One chorionic sac and 2 amniotic sacs so they share the placenta and outer sac but they each have their own inner sac. We were given a 99% that they are identical. Other then the other occurences like chromozonial abnormalities and environmental factures.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jenny155 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-09-2011)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Little bump for all the new multi parents to see, and anyone else who is interested