Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't gone back to work yet, but am thinking about studying this year. I love being a SAHM though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be back at work when DS is 13 weeks, only 3 weeks to go!
    I want to as I love my job and have worked hard to get where I am, but it is also for financial reasons.
    No childcare for us though, DH will be a SAHD and run his business part-time, I'll work 7:30-3:30 and we'll play tag team a few nights a week. My parents are going to have DS every Wednesday (I didn't have to ask, they practically begged me ).
    If I didn't have flexible working hours and a DH that could stay at home I wouldn't work full time so that at least one parent could be at home most of the time.
    I must put his name down for daycare though, he'll need some regular interaction with other kids!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i originally said no, but have been back at work casually since she was 7 months.
    i do 15 hrs a month.
    i like having some money, plus its nice to have adult talk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am about to start work next week 3 days a week. DD is 14 mth and will be in daycare 2 days while my mum will look after her for one. I think it will be good dd will get more interaction with other children which didn't happen when I wasn't working.
    I am going back so we can build up our savings more when we have another child and because I want to. I am very lucky that I don't have to work if I didn't want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I ticked other - I used to work in childcare and so when Jasper was 6 months old I for my first 'mummy nanny' job taking Jasper with me 4 days a week to look after a 2 year old girl. That didn't work out (not because of me, their circumstances changed dramatically) so I started taking Jasper with me to work in a crèche for a mums andbubs personal trainer. Then got another crèche job looking after bubs for mums with PND having councilling. In the meantime took on baby sitting, either from home or at their place.

ALL with Jasper in tow.

We needed the money, but once I got into it I did it for something to do. I mean, taking Jasper on playdates (nannying) or to playgroup (crèche) and getting paid! Sometimes it was really hard work but mostly it was a joy and I'd have done it for free.

My dad always said do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 16-02-2011 at 07:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Though that 'I'd do it for free' did make me feel bad about actually charging money for baby sitting. It took a long time for me to get comfortable charging what nannies charge -like $20 per hour. I started off only asking $12 per hour. Because I didn't feel right asking for money for something I'd do for love.

But yeah. ALL nannies do it for love but nannies still gotta eat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only had 4months off after having our first ds. My husband had to have 3yrs off after an accident so I had no choice but to go back to work really. Hubby was a stay at home dad for a few mths before he finally went back to work, by that stage I had adjusted and was comfortable with working fulltime and being a mum so continued working fulltime and put ds in daycare.

Daycare has been so good for him, he is nearly 3 now and we never had the terrible twos, he is good at sharing and interacting with other children as well as advanced for his age re counting, talking very young. He also has a good attention span. We think the fact he isn't at home with us 24/7 has also made him appreciate us more. It's not the quantity of time he spends with us that is important, it's the quality! As much as I love being a mother I also love my work and the mental stimulation it provides.

We are nearly due to have ds #2. This time I am having 12mths off and due to work entitlements and long service I get paid for the entire 12mths I am having off. I am going to be studying part-time when ds is 6mths old though.

We could easily manage on my husbands wage but having 2 wages coming in means we don't need to budget and to give our children a secure financial future 2 wages will enable us to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i ticked yes for financial reasons but it's kinda grey for me. if i really really wanted to be a SAHM we could afford for me to do it, but we would have to move to the outer 'burbs. i prefer the lifestyle we have where we live (inner city) and in the long run i am looking forward to raising a kid here. so i am going back part time when DS is 13 months. in saying that we have agreed to re-evaluate our priorities and what we want at the end of the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With DS I went back to work part time when he was 3 months old, at this stage he would be with my mum or Nan in the afternoon while I went to work. I went back full time when he was 6 months old and from that point had him in full time childcare. He loved it!! I went back to work because I wanted to, you always learn to live on what ever your income is but I wanted to in order to make a more secure future for my son.

With this new bub I don't plan on finishing work. I am lucky enough to be able to work at home once bub is born (I have a fantastic employer). I will be working less hours, obviously, but by doing this I am able to keep my 'foot in the door' and earn some extra money. I view it as having the best of both worlds! I plan to do this until bub is around 8-9 months old then she too will be going into childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be going straight back to uni with less than 2 weeks off, a bit crazy I know, for 4 months to graduate but am planning on taking next year off to spend with the bub, then will start my internship the year after that.