Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    MamaKoala is offline Happy Mummy of 2 Big Boys and a Baby Girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had my boys I stayed at home for 7 years. I was partially happy to do so but it was also better for us financially when I was with my ex because childcare would have taken my whole wage.
    I got pg a month after I started work when my youngest at the time was 7. I really wanted to keep my job so made preparations to have childcare available after 6 months at home. I wasn't re-employed until DD was 12 months old.
    Depending on what my mat leave entitlements are will depend on how long I stay home this time. Hopefully it's not 6 weeks lol. But I would go back anwhere from 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went back to work when Kaleb was 8 months old. We just brought a house and need the money.
    Some people can't afford to be SAHM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My job is the children. DH's job is to earn money.

Working outside of the home will not be an option until all children are in school.

My husband works long hours to give me this opportunity. He has taken on a lot so we can have a good life and I can stay at home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to korfire For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (18-01-2011)

MissSteph is offline Proud young mother to 2 beautiful children
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I ticked no because I was happy to stay home, but it's partially because of te cost of childcare. Financially we are better off if I stay home until the youngest starts prep, so another 4-5 years.

However, we agreed that if things get tough financially then I will get a night job or weekend job so DF will be home with the kids, which is affordable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went back to work when my son was 6 months and will do the same this time. I'm doing it so we can have a better life. I believe I am setting a good example to my children by working hard for what we have and showing my children that women can do everything men can do. I try to work my hours around when my partner is home from work which means he takes equal responsibility for childcare and housework. We are both equally capable of earning money and looking after our babies and I believe we have an amazing household because of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummastribe View Post
    When it was just me and partner and two kiddies I enrolled in Uni to study nursing, I lasted about five months before I had to admit that the kids, the house and my relationship wouldnt really survive if I continued so i quit
    I returned to work almost straight after each of my elder children (DH at home). From B onwards, it was quite hard. However, I am now at the stage where our house looks like a bomb hit it, I hardly see DH during school time, and as DH is running a business from home, too, he won't be able to look after H until he/she is at least a toddler so I've decided to take this time off properly.

I guess the question is what you mean by work. I am a HS teacher which is pretty full on as far as homework and extra hours work. I would guess that waiting tables etc would at least be a no-homework solution and much easier with a family.

My job has always been a career thing, not exactly for me but as the major breadwinner, my family depends on my sole income (DH's business is still developing and he is still under the tax threshold). It's funny but now my dilemma is that while I welcome being home with my own family, many of my students have a strong bond with me as welfare teacher and I have an executive role as far as planning etc go. To give that up is really hard but, just like this baby is a little unexpected, perhaps it is just the way it is meant to be.

Good luck with your decisions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

emena  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by youngNotDumb View Post
    I went back to work when my son was 6 months and will do the same this time. I'm doing it so we can have a better life. I believe I am setting a good example to my children by working hard for what we have and showing my children that women can do everything men can do. I try to work my hours around when my partner is home from work which means he takes equal responsibility for childcare and housework. We are both equally capable of earning money and looking after our babies and I believe we have an amazing household because of it
    I feel exactly the same way.

I'm sure if i'd had children later, I would be in a better financial position and have more of a choice in whether to work or stay home, but I couldn't see myself being at home for long either way.

Work is a big part of who I am, always has been and my kids aren't any worse off because Mummy goes to work 5 days a week. Their dad looks after them at those times, with the occasional babysitter, and that's just how it's always been. We have a far better quality of life now than what we would if I hadn't continued to pursue my ambitions following the birth of my first child. They are my biggest inspiration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by youngNotDumb View Post
    I can completely understand that as I'm in a similar situation. I returned to work and uni when DD was 10 months old, and not only has our family been much better off since, but I feel that I'm teaching my daughter that you can be married and have a family without sacrificing a promising career. However, in saying that, I believe its also important to spend time with my daughter, so I work partime while studying online, so she is only in childcare 3 days a week. Shes now nearly three, and new bub is due in june. This time I will only take 6 months off from work and enrol both kids in childcare 2 days a week after returning to work, while working some weekends.

That's just what works for us though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate staying home, so I voted "yes, I wanted to." I feel stifled and just sick of my life revolving around nappy changes, sleeps and feeds. My littlest is 7 months old and it's his first day of child care tomorrow.... and I am going back to work at the end of January. I am looking forward to getting that part of my life back as well as having my kids... for me to be a sane, complete person, I need both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am trying to keep an open mind about it, ie what will be will be, however I do hope to go back to work 6 months or so after the birth of our first child. Ideally it would be part-time, but I will just wait and see how I feel, what work is available (we are about to move so I won't have a permanent job to go back to, rather will have to find a new one, which could be tricky).
    Both my parents worked when I grew up and I never felt like I missed out, and I would rather have a successful career and be able to provide for my child financially than be stay-at-home and strapped for cash (which we might be if I don't go back to work). As long as I feel I'm spending enough time with my bub it should be ok, would like to find a workplace that is flexible maybe even do some work from home or start off part-time.
    Before I fell pregnant I used to think it would be awesome to be a stay at home mum but I've recently decided that I would get bored of that very quickly and need the mental stimulation and personal satsifaction that working provides. Although I realise it probably will be very difficult with a baby and involve lots of juggling. Will see how I feel in 12 months time!