Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    with ds I was a SAHM till he went to school but was at TAFE and working when dd1 was 3 and when dd2 was 3 months I would do a little work with mum or dp taking her then at 12 months I went 2-3 days a week but got pregnant with dd4 who is about to turn 1 and will be going for a trial at a new job in a couple of days.even if dp earned more I would only be a part time SAHM but I would have waited longer to go back, I dont really want to use daycare but my mil lives too far away and my mum has 8 other grandchildren and feels she would have to do the same for them to so she is just back up. our mortgage is small compared to other peoples but so is our house and I want fix it up and I really want to go on holidays so being away from my babies is a small sacrifice and its only 4 days a week if I find a childcare they are only going 2-3 days and dp will take a day off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes,I went back to work when my DS1 was a baby.
    First time for extra money before he was 1 but ended up quitting coz DH got a good job.
    I went back to work fulltime when he was 19 months old coz my DH stuffed his knee and couldnt work.
    And when I had DS2,I went back to work when he was 6 months old coz we were saving to buy a house.
    Do I feel guilty?NO!My kids were always at home with their father while I was working.And to me,having a home now is soooo worth it,its a future investment for my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    definitely going back to work
    i see children as part of my life not my entire life
    i think if I stayed at home I would go crazy
    I think you need to still have your own time as well as be a mother

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted to answer I wanted to go part time and I needed to as well.
    It allows us a more of a balanced lifestyle. Dh stays when I work nad I stay when he works. They get both parents which is best of both worlds seems DH never had a dad his whole life.
    If I resigned from my job I would have to leave the lovely school I am at it is 5 mins away lose all my entitiements and our only real nest egg. Dh has his own business.
    I love my kids and I work for my sanity, my independance as a woman and as a reason for securing our future. I stay with my kids as much as I can and want to allow them to grow into secure independant people. I watched my mum and dad struggle and work non stop I didn't want that for my kids.
    The key is to find that balance. I realise I am a wife, mother , daughter, friend, teacher I try to work hard on each of those facets of my life because they are all equally important to who I am. When my time is up I want o look back and have no regrets and at 34 I am very satisfied with how my life is panning out. I realise life will take unexpected turns not always good ones but I will be ready to challenge any problem that comes my way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I have just recently joined the workforce after a 2 year break. With my eldest daughter i was working casual night and weekend work but when my second DD came along i decided not to work for 2 years. I have now gone back just 2 days a week and I find it helps me keep sain.

I enjoy it for the social aspect of it as i work in hospitality so I enjoy talking to adults not children all the time. I find my kids are great at CC but my youngest who is 2 1/2 still finds it hard to leave me. CC costs me alot but I still get enough at the end of the week for abit of extra pocket money for myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I plan on going back after paid maternity leave runs out, i have a pretty flexible job that i can work aorund my partners hours so it will all work out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went back PT when DS was 8 months, because I was bored (saturdays) then at 10 months I went FT and DH stayed home. Then at 15 months DH started to work 3 days, I dropped back to 4 and he goes to care 2 days.

When #2 is maybe 6-9 months I will probably work saturdays if hubby is in a mon-fri position, just to get out, and get my mind going. My employer is really flexible so I am sure she will be happy with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Always planned to be a stay at home mum, but recent changes in our financial circumstances have made me the breadwinner and hubby earning significantly less.

Most likely I will only be able to afford 4 months at home after bubs is born, maybe a little more depending on how much we save, but nearly all of my pay goes to our mortgage, so it will be extremely hard. I'll probably need to freelance through that time to make ends meet.

Not sure what we'll do after that. I don't wish to send a 4 month old to childcare full time, so if it comes to it it may be dad who has to quit work.
    Last edited by chase; 31-07-2010 at 10:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

Question I was wondering..........

It was very interesting to read the posts on this subject. I have just had my 4th babe (he is 3 1/2 months) and with my stepson that makes five. I always intended to go back to work after my 3rd bub but it wasnt very long before I fell preg. again. Now it is hard enough trying to spend one on one time with any of them and making sure they all get the personal attention they need without trying to fit in work as well. Or is it? Recently I worked the 7 days at the taste festival in hobart and OMG, I now more than ever want atleast a few days a week work. The reason I feel I need to do this is financial and also to get a bit of space on my own. Dont get me wrong I love My children more than anything but there is more to me than `MUM` and getting out there and working is a good way to express the `other` me! Also I think about it being a good example to the kids re. working toward your dreams (with us both working we plan to save a deposit for a house). When it was just me and partner and two kiddies I enrolled in Uni to study nursing, I lasted about five months before I had to admit that the kids, the house and my relationship wouldnt really survive if I continued so i quit (I remember for one of the mathematics tests (before when dad worked on the fishing boat and before we had a computer)and i sat at the pc at an internet cafe in town with my baby girl squirming on my lap lol needless to say I didnt get a good mark!) However I dont believe a job will be quite so demanding! We are very lucky because the older kids are at a good school with a good afterschool program and the littlies have the best daycarer we could ask for! I believe that the key to making it work is routine, good support and communication from partner and in the long run we hope to reap the rewards. A few people have told me i should just stay at home because they `need` me, especially bub. BUT............Dad is home by 2.30-3pm tues-fri and the other days doesnt work at all so they wouldnt even be in care that often. It probably wouldnt be until bubby is about 6months but from what I have written what are your guys views on my situation if you care to comment????????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Financially, we can afford for me to be a SAHM, but as I was worried my brain would begin to rot, I've returned to work! Best decision I've ever made!