Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had three children. I went back to work 6mths after the first for 2 days a week, 5 months after the second full time and 12 months after the 3rd for full time. I don't really like having to work - yes they all went to daycare and the last still does - but it is something that we had to do as my DH couldn't get a decent fulltime job and I had one that gave great holidays (teaching). I am still working so my DH can get a degree so he can have a better job so he can work and then I can stay home . It may be better late than never BUT my kids haven't suffered - they learn new things and get to do things that I wouldn't have done plus they learn how to be with other people. Also, my second DS was noticed by daycare staff as being different. He is now diagnosed with autism, something that wouldn't have happened so early if he had been with just me at home. I would have LOVED to have been a SAHM but it just didn't happen...I am still getting over the guilts of it but you have to do what you have to do .

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I replied with 'other' I work part time (have since DS2 was about 6 months old) i have two part time jobs that I attempt to fit around hubby's work schedule - and the demands of the kids.

I was reluctant to head back to work .. I wanted to be part of the lives of my children while they were young, and I couldn't see enough BENEFIT in heading back to work, only to pay half my wage in childcare??? it didn't seem like we would be in that much of a better situation.

I would love not to work at all .. but its not an option for us, with escalating bills, mortgage etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will go back 6 months after bub is born i think part time just to get some cash coming in ant to keep sane haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back when my little girl was 14 weeks. She is seven months old this week and is happy and content. I am a fulltime shift worker and some of the time I miss with her is nights so it's not too bad. Plus DH gets a lot of time with her.

She is still breastfed but also gets EBM - I express three times during a shift. It is possible!

I work four days on, four days off BTW so she still gets loads of mummy time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, went back 2 days per week (weekends so DH could be there to look after DS) when son was 18 months...

Reason? - SANITY!

Am SUCH a happier mum now that I'm working casual
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 30-06-2010 at 14:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only had a casual job before getting PG so had no job to go back to really. If I had family in Australia I would have liked to work a couple of days (could do with the money) & leave DS with my parents (I would not be comfortable leaving him in childcare)

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow great thread.

With DD i both wanted and needed to - i went back to work 2 nights a week when she was 6mths. I tried fulltime when she was 13mths but that was horrible. I love being at home -why have them otherwise.

16 years latter and i am due to finish uni in November - nursing graduate positions start around feb/march and...... baby is dur feb21

As much as i really want to stay home - i actually love my new career i love being me and studing as a family really impacts your children. Its been a hard 5 yrs for DD & me and we were looking foward to the pay increase.

techinically i dont need to work DH earns plenty - however i enjoy independance and as we get nothing from the government , I also like the security working brings me.

Oh boy at this stage i really am weighing up all the above. I will be breastfeeding and not sure when i will return to work. It will be hard. But it will most likely be july intake. My heart says 2 days a week . Guess I will see how DH copes with this all. I couldnt go back fulltime ...... it would break my heart. Oh and childcare have no idea how much that will cost it's probably a good thing i enjoy my work cos after that bill.....

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I voted yes, I wanted to.
    I have done one shift when ds was 2 months in order to keep my casual job. I will need to do another soon, as you have to do a shift once in 3 months.
    However I also study so leave ds once or twice a week, but it is always with hid nan.
    Our grand plan is for me yo graduate this year, get a full time teaching job in Jan and for df to stay home 2 days a week. The other 3 days will be with Nan, or 2 with Nan 1 in day care.
    It is what we both want, and I am fortunate to have an amazing mother

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I voted other because I both want to and have to.

I went back to work three weeks after my DD was born (that was for financial reasons) but it was only one day a week and my DP didn't work that day so he had her. She was happy to take a bottle even though she was breastfed.

I am going back to work in a month, 16 hours per week, and DS will be six months old.

This is a case of absolutely having to (I'd rather wait until he is one) but also wanting to. He does NOT take a bottle so that will be hard, and he is very attached to Mummy so now we are practicing him being with someone else. I have no idea at all how he will cope but unfortunately we have no option financially.

As for wanting to, yes. My brain literally does not work like it used to and it's really starting to get me down. I also miss the adult interaction, but not that much to be honest

Thanks
    Reviews
    My plan is to fall pg (again - due to mc) and work most of the pregnancy, and go back to work shortly after bubs is born. I work in a small family business owned by my mum with the space and resources to take bubs with me to sleep in basinette, pram or porta cot, and the ability to breastfeed...so that will be my reasoning..i can work and still be with bubs.

however if i didnt work for my mum it would have to be financial reasons for me to go back to work. I would use childcare if i had to but i do know theres 1 childcare centre here that has fantastic staff (im a childcare worker myself and used to work there... so ive seen it from the other side) But i certainly wouldnt send my child to the other centre...id send it where i know the routine, staff, centre, beliefs, and where i have seen how they work, and the quality of care my child would recieve...

Maybe even when its older i may consider sending it there 1 or 2 sessions a week purely for social reasons. Sometime around 18mnths/2yrs but definately not before its walking and beginning to communicate.