Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wanted to go back to work. We don't really need the money, but I only work 2 days a week and that almost covers our mortgage. My money is our spare change so to speak.

I am going to be returning to work 2 days a week next year after the arrival of number 2 in July.

My daughter is in childcare. It is a great centre and my daughter loves it. I am very happy with it and have no worries about how they care for my child, and I know they will be great with my next child too.

When I first went back to work, I didn't want to, but now I actually enjoy getting some adult stimulation away from anything child centred like playgroup etc. Plus, I feel for me, having 2 days away from my daughter actually makes me appreciate the time I have with her more and I feel makes me a better mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can't go back, as much as I would love to there is no point. CC is more than we would bring home combined plus we hve a crazy amount of Dr app each month that I have to be at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am planning to go back to work when DD is at kindy, she's 3 months old, so probably in the next 4 yrs. That's my current plan anyway.

A Party of Five is offline Winner 2008 � Most Boring Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No we couldn't afford childcare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was happy to go back to work but I was financially pushed to go back sooner rather than later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i went back to work part time at 6weeks and it took me until she was nearly 1 before i was going into work 4 days a week. I started 5 days a week back in the office when she started kinda.

I chose "other" as dh has been the stay at home carer full time for dd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am a happy SHAM. I have been for 16 yrs and hope to be for the next 16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back both times when the bubs were about 3 months old, because: a) I wanted to; b) I needed to...well, sort of.

Both times i probably could have managed to stay at home a bit longer (finance-wise), but I could think of nothing worse. Stay at home mothering is just not for me. I never wanted to be home based 24/7 before kids, so why would I start now? I need balance; I need to get out of the house and focus on something I used to focus on before I had new lives in my hands.

I love my kids as much as any mother, but my entire world does not revolve around them; I am not at my best when I'm with them every waking moment, and I'm pretty sure they don't need me every single second of the day either. I'm fortunate in that their father is able to look after them most of the time I can't, due to the opposing time schedules of our jobs, so we're not forced to rely on full time childcare. If that were the case, I may feel differently... of course though, tag-teaming has its downsides too, such as days where you see each other for no more than a few minutes and feel like ships passing in the night while you struggle on your own- possibly a contributing factor in our separation

I didn't have a "proper career" established before kids, hadn't really studied, didn't have the same level of financial security that many of my older sisters in motherhood have- so it was always inevitable that I would return to work sooner rather than later. I started studying again when my eldest was 10 mnths too, and I have never looked back- having kids actually makes me MORE passionate about doing this stuff, as now I have their future to consider as well. The other option is to resign myself to a life of welfare dependency and/or low paid jobs. I want more than that for my kids, and myself as well- I always imagined I'd build myself up to a professional place one day, and have found a field I love and am working towards those long-held aspirations.

I know lots of women in their late 30s who are on long-term maternity leave, with no real timeframe for "going back". I kind of admire their freedom- they have done the study, the hard yards at work, the whole acquiring-assets thing and can just relax and enjoy their babies with no stress about "the future" looming over their heads. I love my outside focus, my work & study, and am so glad I had my kids to drive me to get comitted to these things. Not sure I could ever be proper stay at home mum, but that's speaking from the place I'm at now. 10, 15 years down the track, I may randomly have another child, and who knows how I will feel then. I believe everyone's parenting choices are made with the best of intentions, and all are ok if they feel ok for all concerned. I respect others', and expect others to respect mine. Sisters in arms

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the poll was multichoice I could have ticked all teh boxes! LOL

With DD:

Yes, I wanted to
    . I needed the adult conversation and had absolutely NO support from friends or family, and a husband who worked 9-5 as well as regular late nights, weekends, and public holidays. Daycare gave me back my sanity.

Yes, I had to for financial reasons. We also had a mortgage and were taking in students to pay for it, so going back to work was financially advantageous as well.

With DS:

No, I was happy to stay at home
    . I'm in a position of not needing to leave the home to work for financial reasons, and I have DP at home as well so we support each other with his care and I get my adult conversation as well.

No, I couldn't find daycare
    . I was offered some work for a few days and would have liked to take it to keep my skills honed and have a break away from the house for a short while, but at such short notice there was no childcare available aside from one FDC lady who I didn't feel comfortable leaving DS with. All daycare centres in my suburb and the few surrounding ones had waiting lists of about 12 months for the baby section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went back to work 2 days a week when DS was 14 months old for my sanity. However I missed him to much so it only lasted 5 months. I do go back every now and again when someone is on holidays etc just to help out only. However after DD is born I won't go back at all till my kiddies start school.