Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As much as I love staying home, I have to head back to work for financial reasons.

Although we do cope money wise with me being at home, our bank likes to use my income as we are in the process of selling this house & buying/building another.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    After my first child, I went back to work part time (1 day/week) when she was 6mths old and I did part time work on and off again (mostly 3 days/week) until I had DD2 2yrs later, and then I had a full 12mths off as a SAHM and for the last 18mths have done part-time work (either 1 or 2 days/week).

Initially when my DD1 was 6mths old, I went back to work out of financial necessity, then later took on a contract for career reasons and then took the next job as I was able to get maternity entitlements, so it was financially a good decision to work part time, as it meant I could take longer off after the 2nd baby (6mths 1st time, 12mths second time).

I do enjoy the added financial benefit, using the skills and quals I worked so hard to get, and the social side of my job, and the part time work is a great balance for me, although currently I'm only doing 1 day/week, so I'm more a SAHM than working mum.

I am also lucky to have MIL and my mum who have always looked after my girls, when I work, I wouldn't do it otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I did.. because I wanted to & after each child (execpt after bub#3 as I enjoyed our 'suprise' then got preg again, lol).
    No child care needed as I worked either on the w/ends or at night while hubby worked during the weekdays.
    Last edited by ~Candy~; 23-05-2010 at 16:26.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going back in feb. dd will be 7 months old.
    however I'm only working 10hrs a week (3*3hr classes at the tafe) so my mums will have dd one night, and dh will be home the other two nights.
    I'm teaching beginners/intermediate/advanced Indonesian, and advanced is the same level as 1st year uni, so I have all the lessons/work prepared already.(so glad I tutored the 1st year seminars for my lecturer!)
    edit: I don't have to, I'm choosing to go back to work. I've been offered a great package (pay/security/flexibility) but if it involved full time work, or need ing childcare, I wouldn't have accepted the job.
    Last edited by trishalishous; 23-05-2010 at 16:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went back to work when DD was 19 months old and I could no longer afford to stay home. That was due to debts accrued by a housemate but with everything in both our names I would get blacklisted along with her if it wasn't paid so I figured it was better to pay it than to be blacklisted even though that meant her getting away with it

Now that she's in school it's different, I'm having trouble finding childcare, I never had that problem before she hit school age. So now I'm just doing little bits of casual work whenever it becomes available and not working the rest of the time which is causing all sorts of stress. But I answered from when she was under 2. Went back for financial reasons.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I voted other as I fit into a couple of categories .

Had to after DD1 was born as I was a sole parent and need to for financial reasons.

After DS was born had to return again as I was self employed and couldn't find a decent locum to take over while I had maternity leave (but compressed work week to only work part-time hours).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Other!

We cant afford for me to go back to work.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Both times I returned for financial reasons

With DS we'd not long been in the country, so as well as no family or friends support network we were still paying off the move over here. I headed back full-time when he was 7wks old utilising good old long daycare. It was 1 block up from my work so I spent every lunch time with him until he was 9mths old. Then I was lucky enough to negotiate a 4 day week so we spent the next 4 years having our Wednesdays together. Plus it helped enormously that DH works for himself & whenever he finished early (2pm-ish) he'd pick DS up so he wasn't spending as long there.
    This time round with DD (who was a total surprise) financial reasons were again the main push to get me back to work. Different working circumstances this time round luckily in that I had been contracting where I could work from home full-time. I did a few hours between DD sleeps at 4-6wks. They dropped my contract to part-time (shorter hours 5 days per day) so from 8wks we've had her in the same daycare that DS was in 3 days a week & had my step-daughter help out as required on the other 2 days from our home. It's been a killer going to part-time earnings and I didn't want to do the daycare thing so early, but reality was I couldn't be on the phones without losing my job - couldn't afford to lose my contract or we would sink.

Hooves is offline My children/my legacy, the best of me is inside them.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I voted other, because my situation has changed a few times.

When we had our first, I wanted to stay home, but we couldn't afford to do that for long. So I started working as a Family Day Carer.

I got to stay home, and work. It was perfect at the time.

But when she was about to turn 3 FDC wasn't really working out for me. I was working long hours, and was tired and frazzled all the time.

So I decided to go to work for the family business. Which I hated, but stuck at for the good of us!

When our daughter was about to turn 6, we had our second child. AND I couldn't face going back to the family business. I would have, if I could have afforded child care, but I didn't want to take my son to work with me.

I really didn't want him being looked after and growing up on the office floor. Which is kind of what ended up happening with our daughter.

SO despite being broke as broke! I stuck to my guns and we some how made it work, with me being at home.

And now with 2 more sons, I am still a SAHM. But we afford it better now.

I am ready to get back to work though. I am going insane at home. I am over looking at these walls. I plan to start some study while bub is still little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stayed home with my first until he went to school and I loved every minute of it, but we didn't have much in the way of expenses so I was able to do that. With my 2nd I managed to stay home with him until he was nearly 2 (on maternity leave) I was considering not going back but then a dream job came up at work for 2 days a week so I took it. I still work 2 days now and I'm really lucky in my job because he comes to work with me and he loves it, I enjoy my job, I think I've got the best of both worlds.