Poll: Do you/will you go back to work after having children? (under 2 years)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yep... and I can add other for you too, H if you would like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went back to work part-time when DD was 12 months old.

For me, it was a combination of finances and wanting to maintain my career and sanity.

I started off working two days a week and my mum or DH looked after DD.

When DD was 18 months old I added an extra day a fortnight (working 2 days one week and 3 days the next) and it was at this time that DD started at day care two days a week. Fortunately, she loved day care from the start, I think she was ready for the additional stimulation and she was also already used to being away from me at times.

After DD turned two, I started working three days a week which is a good balance for us at the moment.

DD loves interacting with other people and enjoys going to day care or having time with grandma and we still enjoy lots of time together.

I was very lucky I was able to gradually ease back into work which helped both of us and I was also able to maintain breastfeeding since returning to work which I was also glad about.

I don't plan to return to full-time work until she is in school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went back to work 2 days a week when my first was just over 6 months. He used to stay with family while I worked. By the time he was around 3 I was doing around 3 -4 shifts a week.

I worked up until just before my daughter was born but then lost the job as I couldn't get daycare for her until after she turned 1 (work would only hold my job for 12 months max). Anyway we ended up leaving town and she is no 2.5 and I still don't work - not enough daycare avaliable and I have no family nearby.

I would happily be a SAHM forever but simple fact is we needed money then just like we do now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD turns Two next month and im preg with #2 so i wont be going back to work anytime soon but i dont want to go back anyhow i enjoy being a SAHM and am very lucky that we are in a good position and can afford for me to be out of work Besides DP working away FIFO it would be to hard for me to work and the extra money ild make working P/T would be eating up by childcare anyhow so there is no point really

I dont see myself back in the work force until we have finished having all our babys and the youngest is at school so its quite awhile away, i do plan to do some studying once this baby is 12months however

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be returning to work when DS is 8 months old.

The reason is we have some debt we need to pay off & we are also going for a home loan in hopes we will have a house soon.

I have to work especally if we get this loan to get a house we are sick of renting and want our own house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am back at work primarily because I want to be. Did one day a week from 9-12 months and my mum had F, then went to 3 days, decided that was too much and now do 2 and 3 by special request only. I work for myself so am lucky to be able to do this and vary things as our needs change.

We had decided that centre based care under 2 wasn't an option for us so we have a nanny. There are days she earns pretty much as much as me once I have paid her but I am working for sanity more than anything.

If our only option had been child care I wouldn't have gone back - please let me be clear, I am not having a go at anyone it was the decision we made for our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went back to work 2 short days a week when my DS was 10 months old. Because I wanted to.

No childcare - MIL had him one day and a very good family friend the other day.

I am returning to work 2 short days a week again soon and DD will be 18 months old and DS 3. Because I want to.

No childcare for DD yet - MIL and friend will share her care. DS will do one day of child care and one day with my friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I voted other because ...

Yes, I went back to work when DD2 was 6 months old, part time. But I will be finishing up at the end of June because the cost of child care and before and after school care for my 2 are strangling us.

Not to mention my fuel bill (60klm round trip to work) and bus fares for my DD1 to and from school. In the end I am making no money and have decided to chuck it in

PS I went back to work mainly for financial reasons although it didn't turn out well for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DD a little before I turned 18. I didn't want to be the stereotype "teen mum" so when she was 6mnths I went to tech and had a part time job, I wanted to prove I can provide for my DD.

By the time my DS1 was 6mnths I had 2 jobs. Both kids had the one home based child carer till they went to school, she was wonderful and still sends the kids cards and letters

When DS2 came I decided to be a full time SAHM and I've loved it the past 3 and a half years

But now that he's in all day Kindy I have a part time job and I'm loving the extra cash hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was working 3 days a week when he was 3 months old. He went to FDC for 2 of those days (and has continued those 2 days, but I now work 4 days). It was (and is) for financial reasons.

If I have another baby, I would aim to only work 2 days a week from whenever I felt like it (probably after 6 or 12 months).

I didn't mind leaving him with somebody else sometimes (even as a young baby), but I don't think childcare (with ratios of 4:1) is ideal for young children.

So, my aim next time is to be able to get a nanny so he has one-on-one care. My MIL would happily look after him but she lives too far away.