+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah thats what I thought but I know when I look online I see all these pretty life stories so wasn't sure if it was the same, im thinking they were American! We have recently been approved for fostercare so im thinking it may be the same but more detailed?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Life story

Sorry jazzercise, I missed your question. As far as I know it's probably for your case worker to read to get to know you and ensure you're appropriate to parent. I'm not sure if the panel read it. I don't believe the relinquishing parents would read it - I think they just get a brief overview of potential parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I sent the paperwork off for the training sessions! Do they contact you when they receive them? Then we just wait till there is an opening? Does any one have a calender of the training dates?
    Hope you are all doing ok today on Mother's day, I know for me it can be a struggle!
    Lots of hugs!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tough days

Hi muzzy,
    Yes Mother's Day is a tough one for me. Lots of tears.
    As for time line. We went to an info session last year in May, and went to the training days in October (I think)
    http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/word_doc/0010/711919/Infant-adoption-info-and-training-2016.docx
    This is the link to see the dates for training days this year. If it doesn't work, just google dhs training days.
    We tend to call a couple of weeks after sending in paperwork. No one ever seems to confirm that they've received stuff. So calling is a good option.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,
    Catching up on the posts so will try to respond to the questions in one hit
    We waited about 3 months after our paperwork was done to be placed with a case worker. From there, we took about another 4-5 months before being put in front of the board. This was filled with completing our life stories and multiple meetings with our case worker. I think all up we had three "interviews"; one individual one with her and then one with me and hubby together. We then had a home visit to check for safety eg pool fenced, yard fenced etc. Finally, we had our last meeting before approval where we reviewed our life story summary that our case worker put together and went through our particulars, for example would you be willing to adopt a child from another nationality or a boy or girl or a child with physical disability etc. This part was really interesting and good to clarify in your mind where you sat with various scenarios.
    Our life stories were long! 20 and 24 pages. They said the more detail the better so that's just what we did. They want to see the warts and all and like someone said earlier, their interest is in how you coped with previous stressful situations like infertility so we were really honest.
    Apparently case workers are given three months to complete your interviews once they have been allocated your case. Our case worker managed to do it in three but then there was a month or two wait for the board to meet. We were told they only meet to review two couples at a time so we had to wait until another couple had finished their interviews to book a time.
    The actual day was nerve wracking but so exciting- I remember it really clearly. We went out for lunch after so excited for the future.
    I'm so excited and hopeful for all of you and really hope your adoption dreams come true for you soon.
    X Macks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and sorry, forgot to respond about the life story - no need to pretty it up.
    Your case worker does a summary of both your life stories which is presented to the board.
    Birth mothers (and birth fathers if involved in the relinquishment) choose based on a summary of your life story. This one is really condensed - a 2 page with just basic details.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Macks, just wondering did you also apply for the permanent care? My husband and I are steering toward just applying for the permanent care and not infant adoption. But I wasn't able to find any discussion threads or groups to talk with other permanent care parents. I'd like to! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi jazzercise, we went for dual approval of both adoption and permanent care and then went on the wait list for both. There was no extra work really to go for both so we thought we may as well.
    In the end we were placed via adoption but were happy with either.
    You should start a new thread about permanent care - I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that have gone through or are going through the process that would be grateful for the chat! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Macks thanks for all that information!! Just wondering out of your life story how much do you write? I am wondering if its the same process as fostercare, we had to write a snippet of our life story but then alot of our story came from the interviews we had? Just wondering if we can expect the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Muzzy, pleasure. We wrote our life story's aside from our interviews. We just followed the dot point questions they gave us and that kind of led the natural progression of it. It was kind of cathartic writing it and at times it raised questions my husband and I had not thought about or discussed so it was good to clarify these things between each other. Mostly it was a pretty straight forward process. Good thing was, there are no wrong answers - it's your life after all
    Cheers Macks