+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Information Session

Watching all your happy stories, afraid we have a long way to go, but we have finally received a date for our Information Session. The day after grand final weekend. Woohoo😊 and it's local so no long travel required yet. Keep me hoping everyone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hydz For This Useful Post:

jazzercise  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hyde, keep focused and stay positive. I found it was great once we got to your stage because there were then clear steps towards the final outcome and it kept me distracted and not thinking about the wait. Good luck with the info session
    Cheers, Macks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Information please!

Hi Everyone!
    I'm really new to this...I joined two minutes ago! I stumbled across this thread trying to find information on adoption within Victoria and it has been a wealth of knowledge. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories!

I guess now I should share mine/ours...
    We have a daughter who we love to pieces. Our GP has dubbed her our miracle baby as she really shouldn't have happened (due to my health). We have now been trying for a second child for several years now and after bulk fertility medications and a string of miscarriages, we are looking into adoption.
    I was wondering if someone on this thread could answer my questions.
    Who do we apply to?
    Are we eligible if we didn't complete IVF?
    Are we eligible if we already have a daughter?
    I am 27 and my husband is 35. Will our ages be a detriment?

Sorry for the novel - I'm just so keen to find out more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All,

New here and new to the whole process. We have been waiting for the laws to change (Same sex couple) and hopefully the changes will be finalised tomorrow to let my husband and I adopt.

We have registered our interest in the information session and training, we were wondering in this initial stage what we can expect in relation to when we would be able to do this. I realise from the 2015 calendar that we have likely missed everything until Feb at the earliest. What have peoples experiences been?

Many thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default rlayfield

Hi rlayfield,

Welcome. It is hard to talk time lines in all areas of the process. But from my experience and what I have heard is that it can take a while to be invited to an info session, I think it took us 6 months. But having said that there were only 2 info sessions held during that time. But there are so many changes all the time. Someone else may have more recent info.

All the best,

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Timeline

I think we requested an Information Session around May, we were assigned one in October, but that may have been because it was local to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello sorry to just jump into this conversation but I was wondering if the birth mother is allowed to be involved in the whole adoption process ? Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello sorry to jump in mid conversation it I read that the birth mother gets to choose a couple ? Can she meet potential parents before she chooses ? I'm in eastern suburbs of Melbourne Victoria and currently pregnant but I'm bit hesitant on the adoption process I would want to meet potential couples before I just handed my baby over I want them to no how much I love my baby and how much it would mean to me to no they would be loved and cared for. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth Mother

from what we've learnt so far, the birth parents have all the rights and options. The social workers help them choose suitable parents, i'm sure you get to meet and discuss with them before you decide and you have up to 6 weeks after the birth to change your mind. Infant adoption in Victoria is open and birth parents are allowed to stipulate how involved in the childs life they want to be etc. Hope this helps with your decision. It's definitely not like the old days where you will never see the child or know what's happening unless you want it that way, and the social workers main goal is to find what is best for the child.😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2016 fulfills all our dreams.
    It is with a heavy heart I post this update. We have now been approved for almost 12 months and have not had that magic call. We keep in regular contact with our workers but we don't know if we have been put forward to any birth families. We will find this out at 12 month review.
    In planning for our 12 month review dh and I have been talking about our game plan. We are not ready to give up our hope of having a family and we know our workers will ask us if we have considered other options. Way back when we went to our information sessions we also looked at permanent foster care but did not pursue because of some of the restrictions placed on foster parents. We are now back at considering that option.
    I would love to hear anyone's experiences with permanent foster care. We are not opposed to caring for children who have had a traumatic background or special needs. Given both our backgrounds there are some circumstances we would embrace.
    In the meantime we try and keep up hope that we will be parents.
    Thanks in advance for any information.