+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHyndes View Post
    Hi all

It's my first time posting here! DH and I had 7 cycles of IVF and then a loss at 22 weeks (not IVF!) before we applied to adopt. We are 34 and 37yo.

We got as far as the panel where we were told to loose some weight (not something raised at all previously, so a bit of a shock!) - but we did it. And 5 months later (Dec 2013) we were approved and placed onto the state wide registry in Jan 2014.

Soooo ... it's been 12 months and nothing

We elected not to be told if we were put forward for a consideration and only to receive a call should we be successful. I think we were quite ok with the waiting last year, but now that the one year mark is about to tick over I feel increasingly worried. Have they forgotten about us? Should we call them? etc

Sigh. DH and I have made a deal with ourselves to wait until the end of March. If we haven't heard anything by then, we will call our social worked (if she is even still around) just to make sure they haven't forgotten about us.

So anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and have a little bit of a vent! Thanks for listening and I will keep my fingers crossed for all of us
    Mrs Hynes, hoping you get some information soon, sorry to hear what you have been through!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by adorelgc View Post
    Hello all,
    Mrs Hyndes, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost two babies 1 at 24 weeks and the next at 19 weeks. It's a very traumatic experience. I then found out that due to some blood disorder I will most likely continue to not carry a baby past mid term. So no more IVF, and now hopefully adoption
    We haven't gotten very far yet. We have put our names down and are awaiting an invitation to an information session.
    Does anybody know how many people they have at information sessions? I'm curious to know if they send out 10 invites or 100 invites.
    We were only put on the waiting list last November, so I guess we have to wait awhile.....
    I wish you all the best of luck
    xo
    Adorelgc! I am not sure how many are at the info sessions, hoping you get an invite soon!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Muzzy,

We were renting when we were allocated our first child and knowone seemed to mind. By our second child they were a lot more interested in our space and how it could accommodate 2 children with different needs. We had bought our own place by then. I wouldn't think it matters if you are renting or not, just if the space is suitable.

I couldn't say for sure about traveling, I guess it is all about timing. If you had been approved and were waiting for "the call" then as long as you had a number you could be reached on while traveling then I don't see why not.

Things seem to move quickly locally once you have been allocated, we receive the call on a Friday, were in reviewing the profile at DHS on the Monday, signed on the Tuesday and started transition on the Wednesday. The transition went for 2 weeks and our daughter has been with us since then.

I guess if you were traveling you would want to have a get home quickly plan but apart from that I think it is great to do as much as you can while waiting...it helps .

Cheers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Choc For This Useful Post:

carlyandmark  (18-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Choc View Post
    Hi Muzzy,

We were renting when we were allocated our first child and knowone seemed to mind. By our second child they were a lot more interested in our space and how it could accommodate 2 children with different needs. We had bought our own place by then. I wouldn't think it matters if you are renting or not, just if the space is suitable.

I couldn't say for sure about traveling, I guess it is all about timing. If you had been approved and were waiting for "the call" then as long as you had a number you could be reached on while traveling then I don't see why not.

Things seem to move quickly locally once you have been allocated, we receive the call on a Friday, were in reviewing the profile at DHS on the Monday, signed on the Tuesday and started transition on the Wednesday. The transition went for 2 weeks and our daughter has been with us since then.

I guess if you were traveling you would want to have a get home quickly plan but apart from that I think it is great to do as much as you can while waiting...it helps .

Cheers
    Wow thanks so much for all that info!!! Might ask about the travelling at our info session, don't want to be putting anything on hold, with both adoption and life!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to muzzy For This Useful Post:

carlyandmark  (18-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my first post and I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I have a few questions regarding the process of adoption. I have read through some of your posts, not all and firstly I just wanted to say what incredibly strong and resilient women you seem. Some of the journeys and struggles with infertility that have been detailed are heartbreaking and I hope this path brings you the child/ren you have dreamed of.
    My story is slightly different in that I have sent an email to register our interest in attending an information session and we are yet to hear back. We are already parents to two children but would like a third, possibly a fourth but due to a very complex medical condition that arose after the birth of my second child, I can not guaranteed by my doctors that child birth will not bring about a relapse. After some discussion my husband and I have come to the conclusion the risk to my health is too great and so we are looking at adoption as a way of growing our family. I suppose my first question would be, is this okay? I feel like someone will say you have two children of your own be grateful. And believe me, we are. However, we have always dreamed of a big family and I can't yet accept that we can't have any more children just because I can't carry them. So I suppose I'm asking if any of you have come across a similar situation or is this covered in the info sessions you've attended, where there are already parents who are adding adopted children to their family??
    with thanks
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladybugwan families can be made on so many ways that your situation probably won't be out of the ordinary to the social workers. There is a need for established families to adopt, especially where it would be beneficial for the newly adopted child to have older kids around that they can model their behaviour on.

We were a family with 2 older adopted children & looking to adopt again. We found that depending on the age of your children they will be interviewed and included in the process to a certain degree, so it is a good idea to include them in the education process in an age-appropriate way. Things like talking about 'what if' situations and discussing things like the various special needs that children in care might have. Ultimately we did not proceed with adoption 3 as we got pregnant, but I wish you all the best. Adoption is a brilliant way to form your family

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Twocam For This Useful Post:

carlyandmark  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your post. You make such a good point that having older siblings to model behaviour is such a positive and will be seen as such. Your own story is quite incredible, blessed in so many different ways. Thanks again for your reply xxx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybugwan For This Useful Post:

Twocam  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Choc, just wondering how long did it take you from getting approved and getting the call?

Also just wondering after the info session do you need to get invited to the training session and how long generally are you waiting for the training? :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Muzzy,

It varies so much from aporoval to allocation so I wouldn't like to say really or project a certain time frame. Some wait a few months and other a few years or more. It just depends on the match. We did only wait 4 months from approval to allocation but we had a duel application in for infant adoption and pernament care which possibly broadened the options, but even that is no guarantee of a shorter time. Our daughter came to us through the pernament care program and we are now in the process of adopting her. She has been with us 18months.

As for info session to education, it changes so much and ours was over 2 years ago now so maybe someone else has more current info. From memory it was only a few months between the 2. But I also found out you did not have to do info or education sessions through your local office so we rang around and did all 3 in different parts of melbourne. We did our first info session at Anglicare, then our infant adoption education at Connections and our pernament care education in DHS Preston. And at the end of all three sessions we then did all our processing through our local office , DHS Preston.

But as I said it changes all the time. And even from region to region. There might be someone here with more recent experience. Two years is a long time in this area, things change fast and often.

Hope I have written something useful here

Feel free to ask anything

Cheers,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Choc!

Thanks so much for replying!!! I can't wait for the info sessions to have more of an idea of what we need to expect :-)