+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Twocam,

That is amazing that you have adopted 2 and are also pregnant, must be such an exciting time for you both.
    It sounds like having my in laws here will be of great support to go through the adoption process. They are very excited for us to take this journey.
    My in laws are fine with adoption and understand the journey we must take were as my parents are very critticle of the situation we must go through.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to randeazza For This Useful Post:

Twocam  (03-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Everyone
    Just curious if i could add you to face book or email to speak more about infant adoption ?
    my facebook is Erin Azzopardi
    my Email is randeazza@gmail.com

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Very new to this and very thankful that I have stumbled across this site and forum. Hubby and I have been invited to a permanent care information session early December (our info was forwarded to the adoption department and we are waiting to be invited to an adoption session).

Trying very hard to balance out the emotions - mix of excitement, hope, caution and anxiety which I experience at varying levels.

Would be grateful to hear from anyone who has attended a permanent care info session - what can we expect?

Thanks so much
    Carol x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome Erin and Carol.

Thank you Macks and Bubbles to your response to my earlier post.

Well I'm just coming onto have a bit of a vent. So it has been over 2 months since I made contact with our local agency asking for them to refer us off for the information sessions. I have rang them several times to check that it had gone through and have just received an email today, saying that the referral was never sent due to a glitch in their system so it has only just been forwarded on. I just had a feeling this was going to happen, I am so glad that I have kept pestering them to check it had been received. It is just really frustrating when you have been told that you are already going to have to wait 5 months plus before you can go and to find out that your referral was delayed being sent for 2 months is .

Anyway for those who are attending the information sessions in the coming months I would love to hear what you learn.

Hope everyone else who is on this path are progressing well through this process

Stay strong

BB

Thanks
    Reviews
    BB,
    I feel your pain. I rang to see how our application was going and was unable to get answers. 10days later we got a letter saying they hadn't received all our referee letters. Our referees had assured us they had sent the information. They've all been resent now 😊
    Lesson learnt, check and check again.
    Can you ask to go on a cancellation list for the info sessions? We did that and were able to go to a earlier session than the one originally offered.
    Fingers crossed for you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    How frustrating BB! They should try and make up for the delay as it was their faulty computer system. I'd be fuming too!

Trish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well hubby and i went to our infant adoption information session on the 11th of this month, it was good and alot of information to take in.
    The only downfall with the whole situation is alot of couples including us that were there were told to go away and lose some weight and then come back and apply for the training sessions. There indication was that we must have a BMI of 25, which for some couples is unrealistic as not everyone is made to be super thin

It is rather discriminatory as many couples are in there late 30's early 40's and are at their last hope to have a family and are faced with this situation. Many couples walked out as they were disgusted in this and some other issues that we found rather daunting

So now we are on the journey to get a bit more fit and healthy and then reapply for the training sessions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by randeazza View Post
    Well hubby and i went to our infant adoption information session on the 11th of this month, it was good and alot of information to take in.
    The only downfall with the whole situation is alot of couples including us that were there were told to go away and lose some weight and then come back and apply for the training sessions. There indication was that we must have a BMI of 25, which for some couples is unrealistic as not everyone is made to be super thin

It is rather discriminatory as many couples are in there late 30's early 40's and are at their last hope to have a family and are faced with this situation. Many couples walked out as they were disgusted in this and some other issues that we found rather daunting

So now we are on the journey to get a bit more fit and healthy and then reapply for the training sessions
    What??? Seriously?? Sorry I'm thread crashing here, I'm not looking at adoption but I like to follow people's progress.

I can't believe that (not doubting you, just amazed at the rules). That just seems really harsh. If you're not the physical ideal you don't get a baby??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Randeazza, I really feel for you being given this information.
    We were not told the BMI rules at our information session and have been thought training and submitted our application. It was only once our application was submitted that we got a letter stating we needed to address weight issues before we could proceed. Talk about a deflating moment.
    I have had a long discussion with the manager of our local adoption agency who was unable to give me a satisfactory answer about why this is a hard and fast rule. She did say that it was because they wanted healthy parents for children. When I pointed out that BMI is no longer considered an adequate assessment of health and that our GP was not concerned about weight, that neither my husband or I had a family history of weight related illness. She could only respond that they needed a cut off to rule people out.
    At the end of the conversation she did concede that we could proceed with application as we have been making steps to loose weight but it would be discussed again at panel.
    As frustrating as it is these are the rules and we are so committed to becoming adoptive parents that we will comply.
    I wish you luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I'm so sorry that's happened! Not all states have this rule (ours doesn't).