+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why are doctors not checking for cmpi or cma?

I am really quite angry about this topic and I want to know why doctors are not offering up cows milk protien intolorance or cows milk allergy as a reason for colic and reflux symptoms in infants. I also want to know why parents of children with reflux sometimes refuse to accept that ongoing issues with reflux should be looked further into... Considering statistics say 50 - 80 percent of children diagnosed with reflux actualy have it secondary to smpi or sma with the majority of their reflux being the result of cmpi or cma. Why don't people want to believe this and continue to struggle on believing it's just reflux and not investigating further.

I went through 2 years of hell with my first child thinking she had reflux, the screaming, the wind pain, the dioherea (which i guess i mistook for teething) the feed and food refusal the blood stools. It wasn't till I questioned my Son's similar issues and told the doctor's I couldn't go on feeding another child in a dark room or during their sleep. It wasn't till 6 months old a stool test showed his high level of alpha 1 antripsyn in his stool infact 11 times the regular amount did someone question he was intolorant. He was then put on to a hydrolised formula and within a month we never had issues ever again.

Why are doctors not getting on to this and telling parents this is a possibility rather then just tossing them all in the reflux basket. I honestly don't even know many cmpi bubs that weren't misdiagnosed with reflux. Sorry but this just gets me frustrated both my children suffered in pain with no voice to speak out as do many other babies when are doctors going to get it right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ManekiNeko - I am sooooo with you.

My kids story is also a long involved one getting a dx - even the Dr DH at the RCH told me there was nothing wrong and I was dreaming

Once we had DS sorted and DD had the same symptons anbd WORSE my GP said that you don't get two kids in the same family with the same problem

That being said, there are soooooo many more food products around now as when I started down this path nearly 9 years ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ,
    Paeds don't want to know about it either!! I ended up diagnosing my DS CMPI myself.
    I went to my GP with my DS who had blood stained mucus in his poo, fussy at the bottle, crying all the time etc. He sent us off to the Paed straight away. I expalined to the Paed i had been reading about CMPI and thought my DS may have it. He then told me my DS "probably" had colic and was just a "sooky" baby. He also told me my son couldn't have reflux because "he liked going in the car, as babies with reflux don't like the car!". I asked if i could take him off cows milk formula to see if it made any difference. He told me "if i really felt i needed to". He told me which formula i could try. So that night i put him on a new formula. Within days i had a new baby!!! No more fussing at the bottle and excessive crying and no more blood stained mucus in his poo
    Needless to say, i will not be returning to that Paed!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow I still never cease to be amazed at some of the things doctors and paeds say. I suspect some mothers doubt a dx of cmpi or cma because drs bully them into thinking it's either just reflux or nothing at all. I know I had to "proove" the cmpi and soy protein intolorance to actualy get a hydrolised formula. Could it be that drs are so reluctant to diagnose because of the high costs to public health in subsidising hydrolised formulas?

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aboslutely agree and its a frustration of mine as well. The number of people who have their babies diagnosed with reflux without the dr suggesting any investigation into possible causes seems massive. Its just like, 'well its reflux, not much you can do except try some zantac or losec' if they're lucky to even get that far.

We struggled with DD for 2 years as well, talking to dr after dr before someone listened to us. We pushed for help for DS early this time because we had more experience and were not going to be bullied. And we were lucky to find a great paed who was astounded at our treatment with DD. DS was put on Neocate. I feel very guilty that our poor DD had to go through 2 years of pain.

I think you're spot on that doctors are reluctant because of the high costs involved. I had our local chemist lecture me about using Neocate because of the cost even though I had a script! I go somewhere else to get it filled now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Frustrates me to no end ...

Oh & I swear if I hear about 'Lactose Intolerance' one more time I am going to

Really fed up with G.P's with little to limited knowledge diagnosing all these babies as LI when it isn't the case .... Frustrating, irritating etc ...

Oh wells !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just thought I would bump this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do babies with CMPI always have blood in their stools? DS has never had blood or mucous in his poo's - would this indicate that he doesn't have an intolerance? (and the fact that his stool sample came back as "normal"?)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh honey you are preaching to the chior on this one lol.

Reflux most part is a symptom not a diagnosis, Reflux can be a symptom for many many things, CMPI, delayed emptying, slow transit bowels the list goes on

Yes a child may have reflux but a child that screams and puked shouldnt be just brushed of with a reflux label, there should be more done to find out WHY

yes alot of babies reflux and are just happy chuckers and thats fine but it can also be a sign of more going on like with My DD

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by reAllytee View Post
    Frustrates me to no end ...

Oh & I swear if I hear about 'Lactose Intolerance' one more time I am going to

Really fed up with G.P's with little to limited knowledge diagnosing all these babies as LI when it isn't the case .... Frustrating, irritating etc ...

Oh wells !

Lactose intolerant