+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, what a great response to this thread. I'm so pleased you all came and shared your stories! Sounds like this is much needed.

And so much success! You ladies are definately an inspiration to those of us still on the journey.

It's seems there's a lot of discussion on donor sperm and whether the change in laws in VIC and NSW are 'fair' or not. I'd love to think we'll be able to be open to lots of different views here. I've seen a lot of forums where it's 'anything less than open, known donation is a very bad thing'.

I totally support those who go for open, known donation. I think it's a wonderful thing. But the reality is that it's meant there are a lot less donors (both egg and sperm) to go around.

I'm not quite sure I'm there yet with the - if my child can't meet their genetic donor, then they shouldn't be born - theory though. I think it's horses for courses. Most people who get this far will be wonderful loving parents and I think that's the most important part for a child. It seems the research supports 'telling' over 'not telling' and I lean that way too. But if my child wasn't able to meet their donor down the track, I'm not sure it would be the end of the road for us. Let's face it, the child may not wish to meet them, or even if they were 'known', they have to actually keep in contact if they move over time to stay 'known'. And we also know from adoption stories that 'meeting those who begot you' doesn't always have a happy ending.

Don't get me wrong, if you get the opportunity to do known, open donation, I think it's great! And possibly for the best (not sure 'best' is quite the right word though but it's all I can think of at the mo).

I rang a NSW clinic about sperm donors yesterday and they pretty much gave me the 'no hope' conversation. I find it really sad that it's so negative, just at a stage where people's emotional energy is completely depleted too! Do I really have to find some random person (probably by scouring the internet) to be give the genetic gametes to my child? Somehow I'd just rather they were screened by an agency first if I couldn't find someone who I had some sort of 'connection' with. Does that sound odd?

I really hope our path becomes known to us soon. It's the not knowing the future part that's so hard!

Can anyone tell me tests they've had on sperm to find out issues. So far I'm aware of:

Sperm analysis
    Sperm Chromatin Assay Structure Assay (SCASA)
    Chromosomal study (FISH test).

Have you guys had any others done?

And I'd love to hear more about your journeys. Keep it coming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Penny - Did you try WFC they dont have many donors but i only waited a short amount of time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to thank everyone for their stories and words of encouragement. I have found that there doesn't seem to be alot of positive stories for mfi. There also doesn't seem to be alot of positive stories for donor sperm. The fs clinic i am with will only use donor sperm if you know the donor, so this may have to be our reality one day.

I hope everyone gets positive outcomes from their ac ttc journeys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely in awe of those of you who have to struggle so hard for your BFP, dealing with issues around donors and cycle after cycle of treatment. All strength and to all of you, and congratulations to everyone who finally has (or will have soon) their much-awaited baby.

Sonja - all the very best TTC#3 to you too. You are very wise going into it only a year after the birth of DD2. That post-birth fertility spike will hopefully still be there . How are you going to manage the two children with early morning BTs etc? I think I read that you have recently gone back to work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Slinky I'm not sure how we'll go with it tbh, but the climnic I go to don't have a lot of blood tests (apart from the pregnancy test) so that will be ok. There'll be FS appointments and scans but I can do these during the day. In some wasy it's easier now I'm back at work as I can go during my lunch break. the big hassle will be EPU if I have to be early in the morning but we'll cross that bridge when we need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,
    just wanted to jump in and share our story in the hope of giving someone else going through MFI hope. DH and I have been married for 11 years. In most of that time he suffered from kidney failure and was on dialysis 7 hrs, 3 times a week. A few years ago we went to westmead to get a sperm anaylsis done and were told that he had two sperm that were not even moving so we weren't even suitable for IVF so we thought our only chances of ever having kids was if DH got a transplant as apparently that increased fertility. But that was a struggle in itself. We had so many potential donors tested ( myself included) and there was no match. But in April 2008 we got a call from the hospital to say there was a kidney available, it was like we had won the lotto! The transplant was a success! 6 months after transplant we began looking at our options again. We went for another sperm test and again the result was really low but we were referred to SIVF. I still don't understand why we were told all those years ago that we weren't suitable for IVF when ICSI was already around we went on to do two cycles. The first with two transfers, one fresh, one frozen- both unsuccessful. We had to take a break for about 6 months because we couldn't afford another cycle. In Jan/ feb this year we started another full stim cycle. We got two nice blasties out of this cycle and had them both transferred. I am now 12 weeks pregnant and still can't believe it. DH never took any supplements and didn't do anything really to improve sperm quality as we were too scared to change anything due to his transplant medication as he has to take immunosuppressants for the rest of his (kidney) life. So after 11 years of married life and a few years before that ( we've been together since I was 18, now 33) so really 14 years of unprotected sex we are finally pregnant! So there is hope. I sincerely wish it doesn't take that long for anyone else though goodluck to everyone still on the journey. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Great Idea for a thread

I just wanted to tell a positive story and mf and genetic issues .

my hubbie and i started to tts in sec 2007 after fining out i was not ovulating we went on clomid for 9 months on the second month of trying we go a bfp on m/c 3 days latter after that in oct 2007 we went to repromed and started the testing and hubby can back with mfi and I cam back with low amh so we started the ivf process after 4 stim cycles all Bfn we then had a karatype testing done and found out that I had a genetic issue recipical translocation of chromosomes 2 and 15 we went to genetic counciling and my tranlacation only affects eggs so we were about to start another cycle in april and found out that I was was weeks pregnant we were in total shock cause we were told that it would never happen naturally and it did all i really want to say is miricles happen trust me i dont say stuff like that often.

good luck with your journeys

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dragongal77,

I just want to thank you for your story. The fs only found 4 sperms in DH sa and has referred us to ICSI. I was beginning to think it maybe a waste of time, but your story has given me hope!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Puffsgirl- that's why I posted it just so I could give others some hope. Don't give up it can happen. Goodluck on your journey hope it is short and sweet. We had resigned ourselves to being childless for years. That's why it still hasn't quite sunk in for us yet. Please keep us posted on how you go. Keeping everything crossed for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH has MFI.

He has a translocation of gene 5 and gene 20. That means we have a 95% chance of miscarraige even if we used his sperm for ICSI. So thats why we are on the donor sperm journey.

Our clinic has done screening on the donor. We get to know eye colour, hair colour, left or right handed, good eyesight or glasses etc. And at the clinic we are going to for our first IVF they have asked the guys why they have donated. One fruit loop wanted to donate because he gets to pass on his unique genetic heritage. We quickly said no to this one. And the one we have picked wanted to donate to allow childless couples to have kids BIG TICK!

Our donor is on a known donor register, thats what they have to do for NSW. So if the child wants to find him at 18yrs they can legally do so.

Now to the other part and I have been shot down for my comments on other baby websites but not this one thank god!! I love the people here everything is open to debate and not critically wrong. Last website I got banned for my comments. Here they are. We are planning on telling the child we needed IVF to have you, but not that it was from donor sperm. Thats our choice and if you choose to tell thats your choice. Everyone should have the right to choose is all Im saying.

You choose to tell thats cool, all Im saying is that we have chosen not to.

TNTbub