+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole77 View Post
    Hi again, well we had another FET last month and they only had to defrost one embryo, which surprised the hell out of us. It took three goes to get out the syringe. So we had very high hopes that we would get pregnant, as it would save money time and stress. But we weren't that lucky, and got BFN.

So we are now looking at a stimulated cycle, with my DH having sperm taken directly from the factory. It may not work, there may be none there to take, that is the risk he and I am willing to take. We have to try everything before we go down the donor sperm road.

i just wondered what the procedure involved for him, how painful and recovery time. As I hate to see him hurting, but we have to exhaust all options before we go donor.

It just seems all so hard
    Sorry to hear that Nicole.

There are few options. MESA, PESA, TESA and TESE. It really depends on the severity of the problem. TESE is the most invasive of all and it is once and for all procedure. My DH has abnormal volume so needle aspiration related techniques are out of the question so we have to go with TESE. Other non-invasive, less expensive procedure might be an option for your DH since he does have sperms in his ejaculation. I am very new here so other people might have better idea than me. I find that the cornell urology site is very informative about differerent procedures. In fact, mTESE is the brain child of Dr. S at Cornell urology dept.

I don't know the pain level after the TESE surgery. I was told that the procedure will take at least an hour. That means one will be put under for at least that long.

I assume your FS knows enough not to give straight testorone boost? Is there any explanation why he isn't producing?

Hugs.
    Last edited by bbhope; 14-09-2013 at 00:53.

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ni Nicole

Sorry about the BFN. It is hard.

My DH found a TESA and an mTESE similar in terms of pain and recovery. It was about a week between surgery and return to work, but he could walk around the house slowly from day 1, just didn't want to go too physical too soon. Make sure your DH uses icepacks because my DH says they help heaps with pain (and make the swelling go down).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nicole.... yes, you've come to a good thread here. Lots of DHs have had various surgeries. Of course it depends on what type of MFI issue your DH has - techniques for obstructive azoospermia can be very successful in extracting sperm, but for many of us on here whose DHs have non-obstructive azoospermia, many of us haven't been lucky.

The three procedures my DH had were:
    - needle aspiration - random poke and extraction of small amount - local anaesthetic - fine the next day
    - needle biopsy - random poke and extraction of larger amount, including tissue - local anaesthetic - fine the next day
    - mTESE (micro-dissection) general anaesthetic - almost 2 hours in theatre - fine that day as the drugs were in system, but lots of pain and uncomfortable for following 3 days - needed lots of ice-packs and constant supply of pandeine forte (actually he was prescribed something stronger than that) - two weeks of tenderness, and then back to normal. But it was so important to know what we'd tried everything, and would not look back and wonder what if.

Bbhope is right that you need to see a good urologist - there's only two in Sydney worth seeing for non-obstructive azoospermia - Dr Lok and Dr Golovsky. I read lots of recommendations, had consults with both of them and ended up going with Dr G, who was very surprised that after almost 2 hours in theatre, he could only find 1 sperm. That one sperm fertilised my egg and was transeferred but didn't implant. Now we've moved onto using overseas anonymous donor sperm, which incidently also hasn't resulted in a BFP :-(( But that's not the case with everyone, just look at Littlesunflowers signature - it gives us all hope

AFM.... Having our 3rd go with anon donor sperm before going to the bottom of the waiting list again. I had my day 6 BT on Friday and started Luveris and Orgalutran. I was expecting to go for another BT on Monday but the nurses phoned and said not to come until Wed for BT + scan, to give time for follies to grow stronger. I really think that means they're going slower than expected, so I'll unlikely be ready for EPU on Fri, and more likely to be following Monday. That's fine with me - there's nothing more I can do, out of my control now :-)) Just need to start to plan some major excuse to get out of a whole day event that I'm organising on the Sat that's likely to be ET day!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well since my last post I have contacted another clinic in our state, as they do donor sperm, and thought it would be a good idea to book on with them to get some information, plus they were able to give lots of info about everything. Our current clinic kept saying wait to talk to your doctor, but couldn't even say anything about the tests etc.

so we have an appointment with both clinics on the same day, feeling a little more hopeful.

He has non obstructive no sperm or few sperm. His hormones are off, very low testosterone, and the gland that supply the hormones to get the testerone are really high. So they can't give him any hormones to help. It feels like we are running out of time and we are as things on his side could deteriorate quickly.

So I think he will have the needle aspiration first but I have very little hope that there will be anything there, so think donor sperm is in our future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nicole, not to scare you. It is really strange that your DH becomes azoo all of the sudden. (I assume so because you have a daughter.) Did he do an ultrasound to rule out cancer?

I know what you meant by running out of time. DH suspects that he used to produce based on current semen texture etc, although there is no way to find out. He didnt have a SA before we Ttc. Also, diet can change the texture, color and such. Somehow he believes that because his testes seem to shrink slowly. We notice that since earlier this year. So to us, we also feel that time is running out. But i guess thats because we have waited 6 months to finally get things moving.

If you think needle biopsy is what you need, thats fine. TESE would be the ultimate solution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

bbhope it hasn't been a sudden decline.

a little history, I had some medical stuff nothing to do with fertility, when we were first married, once they were sorted after the 6 operation. We decided to go both get our fertility tested so if there were no problems we would keep ttc on our own. Unfortunately there were problems on his side, low sperm number, plus extra fluid in his scrotum from a previous hernia operation, and that's when we started in the ICSI road.

we had our daughter after our fourth go at ICSI, after he had an operation to correct the damage the hernia operation had done, we had thought that his problems were fixed after this operation. As we got pregnant with our daughter on the cycle immediately after this operation, and our clinic lead us to believe there were no more problems with his sperm motility or numbers. That's why we destroyed his sperm sample we had frozen three years ago.

plus we have been talking and think that our clinic doesn't really understand male infertility, the nurses haven't been able to tell us much and just look at us with pity. Our doctor keeps saying we have to hurry but its hard to get appointments, so we are thinking of changing clinics to one with better resources.

i just feel so stressed, I'm finding it hard to sleep and am getting sick with any virus going around. Haven't been to work since last week now I am worried about my job. Trying to work out everyday life and deal with all this stuff.

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i just feel so stressed, I'm finding it hard to sleep and am getting sick with any virus going around. Haven't been to work since last week now I am worried about my job. Trying to work out everyday life and deal with all this stuff.
    Hugs Nicole. One day at a time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    plus we have been talking and think that our clinic doesn't really understand male infertility, the nurses haven't been able to tell us much and just look at us with pity. Our doctor keeps saying we have to hurry but its hard to get appointments, so we are thinking of changing clinics to one with better resources.

I know how stress it is. I am also struggling with the job, especially I have to travel a lot....it never seems like a good time. How we wish it is a natural way......Sigh. We all need a hug.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi All... well, having MFI and needing to use donor sperm isn't even the problem this time round - unfortunately my follicles aren't looking great. Today is d10 of GonalF, and I've only got 4 tiny ones - 5,9,10 and 13. My FS rang this afternoon and said, we'll see how another BT and scan go on Friday, but they're growing really slowly, plus not having many, that he recommends cancelling this cycle. Of course, I'm really bummed about that. He reckons that if we cancel and try again next month we may get more, as differences just occur from month to month.

But I wonder, if we cancel, and then next month, we're still in the same boat. And of course, on my 4th cycle I only had two follicles - he recommended cancelling then, but I said no, as they were good sizes and ready to go on d10, so we went ahead. We only had one fertilise, but it stopped growing on day 3, so considering the follicles this time are growing slowly, it makes sense that's what will happen to any embryos too. But my 3rd cycle follicles were slow growing, but we got a really nice one to transfer, so I just don't know what to think. I guess there's nothing I can do, and just wait out til Friday and see what the scan says then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bertie, i guess it would be even a bigger risk for us as a first trial, not knowing how my ovaries response and have the TESE scheduled!

It is just so hard sometime. I hope you go smoothly, Bertie.
    Last edited by bbhope; 21-10-2013 at 23:07.