+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Male Factor Infertility Chat

I totally get it littlesunflowers - we need donor sperm too. You can prob see from my signature, but we found our own donor & we're doing AI at home now. It's free, and the success rates for IUI are not much better to be honest. Depends on your confidence in your eggs & your natural ovulation, but might be worth considering as another option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlesunflowers View Post
    Wondering what any of you think about trying IUI with a donor, as opposed to IVF, once you know you have to use donor? Our mTESE two weeks ago found no sperm, and with our donor we had a good fert rate with IVF (he is a donor certified for use in IUI also). However with my low AMH we're not really expecting to get many, if any, frosties per cycle. Would you try IUI next, or continue with IVF under those circumstances?
    It's been a while since I contributed here but I just wanted to respond to this question. I did IUI with donor sperm first and while I have no personal fertility issues, the donor was IUI quality and I was under 30 (which is why the FS recommended I try it), in hindsight I probably should have gone straight to IVF. The success rates are much lower, meaning more attempts and the costs were almost on par with an FET for me (cost of each vial, plus monitoring, procedure). It would be a cheaper option if the sperm wasn't expensive but unless you are lucky, chances are you'll need to have several attempts before you see success and even though it's a more 'natural' option, it's still time consuming and an emotional roller coaster. I personally found IVF easier in some ways because the odds were better and they were more in control of the process.

Good luck whatever you choose and I hope you have your bubba soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikki08 For This Useful Post:

littlesunflowers  (18-02-2013)

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks nikki and peonies and sariele, you've given me something to think about. DH and I have made our choice to use a "professional" and unknown (to us) donor, so it is the clinic route for us, and money and time are both big considerations. I think I am going to base the decision on the availability of the donor we like, and FS' opinion on our chances. I feel like 3 x IUI before a return to IVF is the direction I want to go in. I can't do another IVF straight off anyway, and I feel I want to be fully recovered before I do it again. But if we have to wait for more vials of the donor we really like or he'll become hard to get, maybe it's better to wait a few weeks and jump back into IVF.

I should probably also wait for the results of this cycle to sink in before I stress about plans for the next. I thought, nikki, that the rollercoaster might be easier if I hadn't put so much time and money and physical pain into the cycle (because before we knew about the MFI I didn't get upset about monthly BFNs - just resigned to them). I should know by now it gets harder the longer you're on it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Littlesunflowers - I think you feel that IUI is the next logical step for you, then you need to do what feels right for you. I did IUI for the same reason, at the time it felt like a good option and it does still have a 20% chance of success. I also spoke to others who had had success with IUI, which is why I felt I had to give it a chance. If you are going through QFG then the vials are usually pretty much readily available, just expensive, as you already know. You should also check how many vials they have in stock, to give you an idea of how many attempts you could have with that donor.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nikki08 For This Useful Post:

littlesunflowers  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had mixed results today. My EPU resulted in 6 eggs being picked up, 3 mature ones with the other 3 being way too young to catch up. Since I was hoping for 2-3 mature ones, I'm feeling as happy as can be about this.

As for DH, Dr Golovsky worked hard and found 1 "good" swimmer ) He came out and seemed very disappointed by this, since he was sure of getting much more, since he liked DH's Inhibin B level (27) and had been very confident. Basically he found the same in the micro-dissection as what we've got in all previous ejaculate samples, so he couldn't at all explain why there wasn't more. He cut both testes open, but apart from that one there were just abnormal ones (big heads, no tails) and immotile ones (not moving). They collected everything in any case for the scientists to work their magic on. Also even though taking Arimedex improved various reproductive levels for DH, in the end it didn't produce more sperm or better sperm :-( I guess it was worth a shot. Interestingly, Dr Golovsky seems to be doing a lot of these procedures, as there was one in front of DH today and one straight after. I was thinking if he does 3-4 a day, three times a week, that's quite some experience he has.

This afternoon, 6 hours after the operations a scientist finally rang (I was starting to freak out that it was all pear shaped), but she explained that they managed to find a couple more sperm that were "twitching". We've heard this before in previous cycles, meaning that they are sort of alive, but not moving, until poked!! So they chose three (I'm presuming the goodish one and two twitchers) and injected them into my three eggs.

So no extra sperm to freeze - it's this or next cycle will be donor sperm. So now we just wait until tomorrow to find if any of my 3 precious eggs like partying with DH's sperm and fertilise by morning :-)) So far it's probably the best outcome we have with 40 year old eggs and a DH with 1 sperm :-)))

As for DH, he's feeling really good with very little pain and has only taken one panadol forte so far. I keep saying that the local anasaethetic will wear off tonight and then we'll see how he feels tomorrow.

Just one little rant today - IVFA's hospital could only give a medical certificate for one day, when both DH and I want three days off. They said to ring IVFA Westmead (which is the same people as the hospital since they own and completely run the day hospital themselves!) So when we got home I rung IVFA Westmead who said they could only give a certificate for 1-2 days. I said not good enough, Dr G said for DH to rest for up to a week, while I'm not stressing myself running around after children on Friday. She said she would find out and ring back.... you guessed it, she didn't, so another phonecall in morning to follow that up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bertie I'm so glad they found something!!! I hope they grow well over the next few days.

My DH was much worse on the Saturday so getting ready for it!!he had lots of panadine!

You should get a certificate for more thank that, we got one for three days then rang yesterday to get one for two more days so my dH has nearly a week and half of work

Sorry it's a short MSG I'm at work tonight so ill write more in the morning x

9. The Following User Says Thank You to two souls For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twosouls.... surprisingly DH has not had too much pain. He thinks I've exaggerated what you wrote last week. Don't get me wrong, he's in a fair bit of pain, with occasional sharp twinges, but he's been taking the panadol forte regularly every 4 hours, so perhaps that's keep it at bay.

Rang IVFA again today to chase up the medical certificate that they didn't end up sending yesterday (!), but was told that Prof I needs to approve it and sign it himself and he won't be in until tomorrow. I'll be phoning them again first thing :-))

Well, we have 1 egg fertilised. It's our lucky one and we're happy that we've got something. As much as I was so hoping for all 3 to be fertilised, I am very thankful it wasn't zero.

Interestingly, the scientist said that they will still watch the other two in case they've missed the action of the pronucleus at the 16-20 hour mark. Has anyone heard of clinics saying that if they weren't watching at the exact time, that there's still a possibility that on day 2 they may find they've divided, and obviously did fertilise, but was missed? Even though this is my third cycle, it seems I am constantly learning new things about IVF.

As there's only one, Prof I wants to transfer it on Day 3, so that will be Saturday. Apparently he prefers only doing Day 5 transfers if there's more than one, so they choose the best. So now I'm going to search for successes of Day 3 transfers, as I'd had my heart set on a Day 5 transfer this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH didn't have much pain at all for a couple of days after his microdissection. I was actually in more pain from my egg collection than he was. He couldn't believe it (as he'd been in a LOT of pain after Dr Lok did the biopsy under local only), and thought he'd got away with it. We were theorising that Dr G is clearly a much better surgeon than Dr Lok, etc. Then it hit on the 3rd day. Dr G sent him home with a long wearing local anaesthetic, so he didn't feel anything until it wore off. He was then in pain for a couple of days, but was still fine to drive me to & from the transfer on the 5th day.
    I also made him have arnica starting after the surgery, and think it helped minimise bruising & swelling.

He was expecting it to be worse, as it was so bad after the procedure from Dr Lok, who only told him he'd be a bit sore so should not go back to work that day ... turns out he was in a lot of pain for several days, if not more than a week and horriffic bruising. And Dr G told him he would need a week off after the microdissection ... so we both expected it would be so much worse. But it wasn't. Might have been because it's a cleaner procedure than the biopsy, or because dr G is more experienced or maybe the long wearing local.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (21-02-2013)

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    Well, we have 1 egg fertilised. It's our lucky one and we're happy that we've got something.
    Modern techniques are pretty amazing! Hope it's a nice strong one.

That's odd about the medical certificate though, we just phoned once we'd gone back to work and were given a certificate for the dates we asked for. Could you just go to your GP? If you are clearly in pain, any doctor's going to notice and be able to give a certificate...

Thanks
    Reviews

It's odd. The day surgery gave me a certificate & I think DH rang IVFA to get the certificate for a week from Dr G.