+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    On the freezing eggs, we were told that it's still not as successful or not as widely done as freezing sperm. It is better to have them fresh, is my understanding.
    Off topic:
    I was interviewed this year for a research project about freezing eggs to preserve female fertility - even though that wasn't the reason we did the freezing. As far as the researcher knew, she thought I was probably the only person to have gone back and used the frozen eggs so far in Australia, and we did that in 2010. Since we had 7 fresh and 7 frozen eggs ICSI'd that cycle it made it easy to compare the results directly.
    Lost 1/8 frozen in the thaw,
    Fert 40% frozen vs 100% fresh,
    0 blasts vs 2 dud blasts with no ICM
    0 suitable for transfer vs 1 morula transferred (FS was sad because he really wanted to write up a pregnancy from frozen)
    0 for freezing from either set

2. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (23-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is interesting. I wonder what results other people have had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Male Factor Infertility Chat

Sorry to jump in. I have been in a similar situation. In 2006 (my first cycle) they found 7 swimmers (yep I didn't miss any zeroes) from DH. Managed to get two embies to a 3 day transfer. BFN. Next cycle we assumed the same would happen so didn't have a back up. When no sperm was found my eggs were frozen. After a TESA and endless more tests etc we decided to go donor. We did ICSI with my eggs in 2010 and transferred two with a 3 day. BFN. One 3 day was frozen and used in FET in 2011. Also a BFN.

To summarise (sorry I went on a bit). Others have used frozen eggs, but it is still very experimental and if there are other options out there I'd be going with them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (23-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys im new on this thread been on another one talking to MGC Bertie. My DH (27) and me (30) are in the same situation as you guys.

Story up to now is so far 3 sperm samples zero sperm in all. Seeing Dr Persson who has reffered us to Dr Golovsky who we saw last week. We are going ahead with the micro dissection and have been given a 20% chance of finding sperm. He said he more than likely has maturation arrest or Steroli Only. We have put our names on the donor list.

My question is how did your husbands cope with the donor idea? My DH says he is fine with it and if thats what we have to do then thats it. I just worry that he is saying it only cause he knows I want to and he wants to make me happy. How did your DH cope with the pregnancy and the birth? My thought is that the use if donor would'nt even be thought about once the baby comes.

And did you tell many people? Our immediate family knows and one close friend. Its not something we would be ashamed about to tell because we could do nothing about it. And if it gets more people thinking about donating then thats a got to be a good thing. I just dont want people to look at my husband and always think "his not the babies real father". Am I crazy???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twosouls.... I have my fingers crossed for you. At least by doing the microdissection you will have done everything you can, and will never be left wondering if there was anything more you could have done. When did you put your name on the donor list? I'm rather interested, as we put our names down at the end of October, and just can't wait til we get to the top of the list and can go ahead.

My DH and I have talked (and cried!!) about all the issues you raise above. We've both thought at times that if we do end up having a donor sperm baby that he may feel different after it's born, but we both hope that won't be the case. I think it's normal to have all sorts of different reactions, at different stages along this journey.

We have only told our immediate family so far, mostly due to the fact that up to now we really didn't know what the outcome would be. We've decided to keep it that way until we get a BFP, as we really don't see the point at this stage telling the whole sorry saga. Most people I feel would just want to "gossip", and I want to be the one who sets the story straight, especially if we do end up with a donor sperm baby, as I know this will "weird" people out, so I want to explain it properly. This probably doesn't help you, but hopefully it explains how everyone feels different and will do the "telling" differently.

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Two Souls

We’ve just started a cycle with a donor backup. I’ve done a lot of reading on the topic since our MFI diagnosis in January, and in books and on websites I’ve found stories from fathers raising donor-conceived children. All of them say they love the children as their own, and are glad that they and their partners still have the opportunity to raise a family despite the infertility. Lots of hetero couples with donor-conceived children have chosen to have more than one donor-conceived child; gay couples can’t both be biological parents, but love their children just the same. Many more couples out there are happily raising stepchildren, adopted children or foster children. Biology isn’t everything! So your DH might be upset about his infertility, but if he wants children, he’s probably honestly telling you that a donor is fine. Your clinic might be able to put you in touch with donor recipients that you can talk to about their experiences if you want to, and also have a counsellor to help with your decisions.

Our immediate families and a group of close friends know our IVF cycle has a donor backup, because we needed their support. If it’s successful we intend to tell doctors, teachers etc as appropriate, and otherwise leave it to the child/ren to decide who to tell as they grow up. Like MGC Bertie I do feel that other people we know might gossip about it, but for us here and now we simply have a medical condition and not everyone needs to know that. If the child/ren involved choose to talk freely about it later on, they will also be old enough to talk about dad vs donor and the contributions of both to their lives.

Good luck with the micro-dissection - and good on your DH for agreeing to do it! I’m very proud of mine for sharing some of the physical pain involved with having children.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesunflowers For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply guys.

MGCBERTIE I think we are going to go the same way as you only tell people when we get a BFP. People are going to ask qusetions like 'had you been trying long' and I want to be straight with people. Im not ashamed of what we will have to do to have a baby and I think in these times it is very acceptable.

LITTLESUNFLOWERS how did you guys find out about the maturation arrest? Our Dr said that could be what my DH might have. What sort of chance did they give you to find sperm? Have you guys had the micro?

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a TESA (aspiration of fluid) alongside my first IVF cycle, and FS performed that with the embryologist sitting next to him, or so I'm told! They took multiple samples and found no sperm in them, so took a tissue sample to send for analysis. I'd have to hunt out the report to be really specific but they found no sperm, no spermatids, a few cells of the stage before that and a lot of the stages below that - indicating that the cells get to a certain stage and no further. They could rule out Sertoli-only cell syndrome while they were there.
    We don't know the cause - only that nothing he has done could cause it. It could be a genetic condition that they haven't yet discovered; they also asked if he'd had chemotherapy or xrays.

We're doing a microdissection on the same day as an EPU in a few weeks. It will be done by a urologist, with a less than 10% chance of finding any usable cells - hence the decision to choose a donor as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesunflowers For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LittleSunFlowers..... I keep checking in here making sure that I don't miss your DH's micro-dissection as I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. I'm not sure I've asked before, but who is performing the procedure? We're having Dr Golovsky do DH's, but there's such a lot of activity on these threads that at times I'm having trouble keeping up with who's doing what - lol.

AFM.... We're going with the plan to see if Dr G can find some sperm in DH's micro-dissection, so are not waiting for donor sperm, as it still won't be available for another month (and I just can't wait any longer). I really had wanted the donor sperm as back-up, but yesterday I phoned Kirsty, the donor co-ordinator and she basically said it would still be 3-4 weeks, and really didn't think it would come through in time for a February EPU. DH and I had discussed this possibility in the last couple of weeks, and had already decided that if that was the case, that we would go ahead without it, as we can't wait any long, and just want to be doing something. There is a possibility that Dr G doesn't find any useable sperm, so the cycle would then be cancelled (ie. no EPU), but DH and I feel that we will be no worse off in that situation as we were in our first two cycles that didn't result in a pregnancy (apart from financially, but it's only money!!). Glad to now be doing something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MGC Bertie - I'm new to Bub Hub and just posted a question for you on the 'azoospermia' thread, but then I found this thread and have seen that you've already answered my question on why you chose Dr G over Dr L! Have found this thread really interesting, now wondering if we should bother going to see Dr L at all if Dr G is so good and we are already on their books and all we are waiting on is a few blood tests to get going.