+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello everyone, I'm new here also. We found out last week that we've been trying to make babies with no sperm (azoospermia), and we're still waiting to find out results of hormone/chromosone tests. I thought I'd post just to say hi, for now, and follow your conversation. We don't know our options yet but I am so glad to find out we aren't alone with this problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi girls,
    Can I join too? My DH was diagnosed with Azoospermia in Sept 2010, we have since had 2 cycles of IVF, one fresh & one frozen. We too are with Dr Lok & think he is great. Does anyone else have trouble with testicular sperm defrosting? My DH has a production problem, so we're dealing with sperm numbers under 20 found on biopsy, but so far they have all died upon defrost. it would be great to have some company on this journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    post was incomplete
    Last edited by akakura; 29-01-2012 at 10:34. Reason: something funny happened when i up loaded

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I would like to join this thread too. I'm glad there is a thread specifically for MFI coz im going mental and need to chat to others in similar situations

My short version of events is: DH has low morph (just below acceptable), very low motility (<1-4%), for our first stim cycle his initial sample had NO live or motile sperm to use!! he had to give a second sample a few hrs later, which did have enough to do ICSI (phew!). His count however is very good, in one sample he had 170 million!! His total semen volume is low with only 1ml and he told me that when he was younger he just used to be able to hold the ejaculate in when he masturbated and then p1ss it out later (sorry if thats TMI)!!

DH is quite happy to take vitamins and pills if it will help, he does feel very guilty that he is the cause of our infertility, but its not his fault. I have him currently taking per day: 1 Menevit, 1g Vit C, 400iu Vit E, GNC Ultra Mega Gold Multi. I think i will add a few extra things after reading some earlier posts here, thank u for the tips! We did have another SA after he had been taking these pills for 3 months and the only improvement was morphology moved closer to normal range, better than nothing! He also tried acupuncture for a few weeks too and is keen to start that again before the next stim cycle.

My next quest is to get a DNA fragmentation test done. As i have come (or jumped ) to the conclusion that we might have DNA frag issues after the results of our first ICSI cycle, which started with 23 eggs at EPU, 19 were suitable for ICSI, by day2 12 were left, one was ET and by the end of day2 5 made it to the freezer. I got a bfn for that first cycle and yesterday i had my first FET and they lost 2 embies on the defrost and I got the 3rd embie at 6-cells transferred, with 2 left in the freezer. I know it only takes 1 but i am not hopefully based on the fact that not many have made it to the end of day 2, hence my suspicions for DNA damage.

I have a science background so researching a problem comes naturally to me! I have access to medical journals so if any of you ladies find an abstract online and would like the full article i can see if i can get it for u. Unfortunately my brain is always asking "why, why, why, there must be a reason" so i keep searching

Here is an interesting article from a medical journal that reviews some MFI treatments, mainly antioxidants: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/repro...agradoc384.pdf

Wow, i feel a little better spewing all that out. promise i won't be so me me me in my next replies

to all

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akakura For This Useful Post:

Kenta  (01-02-2012),tiggasam  (21-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you akakura!! If I need help about journals will let you know. I am interested in reading them but cannot assess most of them obviously. Have you tried fertility & sterility site?

I read somewhere several times that if embryos cannot progress beyond day 3, it is due to sperm issues.

My DH has pathetic counts usuallyy 3-5million but yesterday he only had 1 million! I am not sure why, if it was cos he was having diarrhea these few days! Nothing he has taken seem to have any positive impact on him atm, though I just started him on Vit C and E last month. We are trying to get a referral for him to do DNA fragmentation test too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, not sure if anyone has answered the question yet but my DH has Azoospermia and we are going through Westmead Fertility Centre under Dr Howard Smith. My husband has non-obstructive azoo and we have no idea what has caused this - it's not chromosomal r hormonal either. Dr Smith referred us to Dr Golovsky at IvfA and we went and saw him at his private rooms and he will do a Micro TeSE surgery on my husband to coordinate with IVF/ICSI cycle done through Westmead !! All this coordinating obviously will do my head in when the time comes I know it, but apparently they do this all the time!! Dr G also gave my DH a 50/50 chance of sperm being found! So at the moment tho we are in limbo land as we both need to lose weight before the surgery and the IVF cycle. I also have PCOS, IR and hypothyroidism - arent we lucky... !! I guess I was just wondering has anyone done it through Westmead before like this??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alohashellIVF View Post
    Hi everyone, not sure if anyone has answered the question yet but my DH has Azoospermia and we are going through Westmead Fertility Centre under Dr Howard Smith. My husband has non-obstructive azoo and we have no idea what has caused this - it's not chromosomal r hormonal either. Dr Smith referred us to Dr Golovsky at IvfA and we went and saw him at his private rooms and he will do a Micro TeSE surgery on my husband to coordinate with IVF/ICSI cycle done through Westmead !! All this coordinating obviously will do my head in when the time comes I know it, but apparently they do this all the time!! Dr G also gave my DH a 50/50 chance of sperm being found! So at the moment tho we are in limbo land as we both need to lose weight before the surgery and the IVF cycle. I also have PCOS, IR and hypothyroidism - arent we lucky... !! I guess I was just wondering has anyone done it through Westmead before like this??
    Hi Aloha,
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. We haven't gone through Westmead, but I would be really interested to get your feedback as it is so expensive at Genea. We too were given a 50/50 chance of sperm & so far they have found sperm both times. Although the last time it took 16 needle aspirations & then they did a surgical retrieval. I was just curious how they would cope with azoos at Westmead? Our Dr also works at Westmead, but never offered to treat us at westmead. Also, I'm just wondering is your treatment at Westmead conditional upon you losing weight? Or is it ust something they've suggested? I know that at RPA they have a max BMI & will not treat people above that.
    Good luck with your treatment.

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ertgirl View Post
    I know that at RPA they have a max BMI & will not treat people above that.
    Just curious, being new to all this...are max BMI guidelines for women only? If there is male infertility are there limitations to male treatment depending on BMI?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi aloha - welcome! Sounds like we're in similar situations. Interesting that Dr G is working with Westmead for you though - we got the clear impression that I had to do the IVF through IVFA if we want Dr G to do the procedure for DH. We were only given the option to see him there. Is there a wait to get in at Westmead? We'll proceed with IVFA this time ... but just thinking for the future, if we're not lucky quickly we may have to move to a cheaper option.

littlesunflowers - welcome! Glad you came to join us on this thread. As far as BMI for men, well it depends. As most of us here are talking about issues of no sperm production, I'm not sure hoq weight could really fix that. However, if it's low production, or morphology issues then yes, quite probably that "lifestyle factors" play a part.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, no Dr G said he would do DH's surgery inco-ordination with Dr Smith doing IvF through Westmead !! I may look into just doing it all through IVF Australia tho as I don't feel confident that it's all going to co-ordinate together properly if u know what I mean !! And yeah I can't do IVF till I lose weight through Westmead. BMI needs to be under 40 and sadly at the moment mine isn't !! To be honest with how I feel in my body right now I wouldn't want to be pregnant on top of all this extra weight !! I'd be an even higher risk than I already am !! So I think for myself in order to give myself the best chance of succeeding at IVF and then maintaining a healthy pregnancy I def need to lose weight first !! I was a bit pee'd off at first but I have seen sense !! But in the urgency if just wanting to start and get pregnant sometimes sense is out the window ...lol
    But yeah it was to coordinate somehow with Dr G and with Westmead - we have been in limbo for a while tho do it could of changed !! Dr G was really nice - my DH likes him which has made this all a lot easier !! DH needs to lose weight aswell. !! Thru stress and illness we have both somehow increased in weight - its bad !!
    But as much as I need to lose it I can't bloody get started and just do it !! Grrr. But yeah I think I will look into iVF Australia at their prices and see if it's viable for us to just do it all through them !!